Rapid Charge Networks

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewDebbie

Here is a current map of CHAdeMO rapid chargers in the UK and Ireland.

The i3 isn't compatible, but it does show where the i3 network could be in 3 years time. The Republic of Ireland and Norhern Ireland have done a good job. It is possible to drive a Leaf just about anywhere in Ireland.

In England, Many rapid chargers are clustered in cities. There is nothing along the M6 north of Manchester, making it almost impossible to reach Scotland.

Wales has almost no rapid chargers.

BMW UK hasn't announced if or where there might be compatible rapid chargers. Best hope for any Type-2 Combo chargers so far lies with Ecotricity. They announced they will eventually retrofit their rapid chargers to be compatible with the i3.

The CCS quick chargers will come, it's just going to take a couple years to get them up to the volume that the CHAdeMO chargers are at now. Remember, there were no CHAdeMO chargers there only three years ago and look how quickly they have sprouted up there. Also many of the existing CHAdeMO chargers can be outfitted with an additional connector for CCS so that can accelerate the process.

Ecotricity looks promising but expanding into railway stations and hospitals might cost a fair bit in parking fees!

they should also look at airports and minor airfields - especially those that have been taken over for solar farms!

ecoangel said:
Ecotricity looks promising but expanding into railway stations and hospitals might cost a fair bit in parking fees!

CCS/CHAdeMO/AC Rapid chargers at Airport short stay car parks? Yes!!

Do you think you would need a Rapid (30minute) charger at a railway station or a hospital?

TomMoloughney said:
The CCS quick chargers will come, it's just going to take a couple years to get them up to the volume that the CHAdeMO chargers are at now. Remember, there were no CHAdeMO chargers there only three years ago and look how quickly they have sprouted up there. Also many of the existing CHAdeMO chargers can be outfitted with an additional connector for CCS so that can accelerate the process.
Tom is right, CCS quick chargers are coming. That said, I would take any statements with a grain of salt and be sure to mention to your dealer, BMW, your municipality, and the regulatory bodies in your state or country that you consider fast charging to be critical to the long-term viability of EVs in general and your vehicle in particular. There were no CHAdeMO chargers in the metropolitan area where I live, and for the first year and a half there was exactly zero progress. It was agonizing. Moreover, there was complete lack of understanding on many fronts about the need for this type of infrastructure. Then over the period of about 12 months, no less than 33 stations sprouted from the ground.

It's quite regrettable that there is apparently a war of competing standards right now, and each OEM and vendor might try to push their preferred solution without any regard to the consequences. That doesn't mean that there is no hope. ABB, which is one of BMW's partner companies, came up with a nice multi-standard unit. It's called ABB Terra 53 CJG Multistandard DC Fast Charger. While it's doubtful that a Nissan dealer might install this particular quick charger, I'm hopeful that sites which have received public funding or other independent grants, will consider installing something like this, as it takes the edge off the QC standards controversy.

abbmultistandardqc
bmwi3mnl

Back