Rattles?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricvirgin

Having read the (very interesting) report from the Volt owner on the forum i was concerned that he found rattles a concern on more than one i3.
Would any lucky owners care to comment on this?

The car i test drove (for about half an hour!) was rattle free but it is still a worry.

I have an i3 for an extended test drive this weekend. The car has approx 2500 miles on the clock and unfortunately does have a rattle around the dashboard area, it is annoying when driving around in silence.
Hope mine doesn't get it....

No noises on mine as yet (2000 miles).

The problem with a silent drivetrain is that you can hear everything else; wind noise, tyre noise, rattles, loose change in cupholder etc.

All of the cars used for test drives are pre-production and VERY early builds. In fact, in many of them all of the materials used aren't even the exact materials that the production car uses. I've driven in i3's that has plastic panels where there will be the kenef panels used.

Some of the cars I drove in did indeed have some rattles, but that was indeed due to them being early builds and pre-production. The people running the test drives should have made that clear. None of the actual production cars that I've had people report on have had these issues.

I have just over 1000 miles on mine and it remains free from rattles and I have always been quite fussy with things like this so certainly would have noticed.

To be honest I am yet to find anything I don't like about the car. :D

Just passed my 4000 km (2500 mi) with my BEV and still no rattles to report :)

That being said, rattles apart, you surely noticed that the i3 is particularly silent, even by EV standards. Any coin forgotten in the door pocket(*), loose 12v plug in the arm rest(*) or unfasten foldable plastic shopping box in the trunk(*) will provoke noticeable clinks and clanks.

So ... keep your car tidy :lol:

(*) real-life experiences.

I just test drove one and it was rattle free. It had about 5000 km on the odometer.

Keep in mind that every car I owned, from Porsche to Lexus, have developed slight rattles over time. As the body panels wear, they get a bit creaky… I cannot see the i3 being rattle free forever…

BUT - the one I drove did feel quite solid.

(I did notice more wind noise that I wished to hear, but it was a windy day.)

Back