Recall of Fuel Pressure / Temp Sensor & Misfiring

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamgolfer

I just had an episode when the REX would not start and the CEL came on. It would not come on for the maintenance cycle and then not come on when the SOC got below 5%.

The message on the dash was "Maintenance Cycle could not be started because the battery has 75% or higher charge or the fuel is too low" (approx., I do not remember the exact wording.) But at that time I had less than 75% SOC and almost full tank of fuel.

Turns out that there is a replacement program for the fuel temperature and pressure sensor. That had been ordered for the car even before my problem. It had come in by the time I took my car and they replaced it.

They also noted from the fault codes that the REX was misfiring on cylinder 1. The spark plug in #1 was black. They cleaned it out, swapped it with that in cyl 2 and ran for 15 minutes. No more fault codes. They did not replace the coil or the spark plug. We are on watch to see if this happens again. I am not too happy about this either.

The REX is essentially unused and it already has reliability issues.

FWIW, some things are more reliable IF they are used on a regular basis.

Some of the earlier deliveries reported problems that were traced back to loose connections to the 12vdc battery...this can cause the battery to eventually fail since it may end up being left in a discharged state too long.

Back