Red light after charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW4Me

So I finally got the March s/w update for my BEV, yes the one that shows SOC in % in addition to the bars. I can see how this might be useful for Rex owners, but for a BEV driver it's somewhat redundant. Everything seems quite the same otherwise. Of course I forgot to export my profile so I needed to re-enter all of my SiriusXM radio presets. No big deal as it forces me to hear additional selections from those I am accustomed to.

Now, I've found a peculiar situation that's occurred twice and I'm not sure if it's related to the s/w update, the fact the the car was worked on, or neither of these. Specifically what happens is that I go to charge (at either L1 or L2) and when I first plug in, the light around the charging socket (at car) is white. So I remove and reinsert the "nozzle" and now it turns blue and flashing, like it usually would, first time around. Then, several hours later I come back. I unlock the car and now the ring is flashing red, not blue. In one case, with the L1, it did not charge at all. In the other case, with the L2, it did appear to charge, but not the full amount for the time I was parked. I did check my charge rate after the new s/w and both L1/L2 are still set to Max.

Anybody seen similar behavior or have any thoughts o what might be going on? It's a little worrisome to return to the car, especially when batteries are low, only to find that the car has not charged as expected.

BMW4Me said:
So I finally got the March s/w update for my BEV, yes the one that shows SOC in % in addition to the bars. I can see how this might be useful for Rex owners, but for a BEV driver it's somewhat redundant. Everything seems quite the same otherwise. Of course I forgot to export my profile so I needed to re-enter all of my SiriusXM radio presets. No big deal as it forces me to hear additional selections from those I am accustomed to.

Now, I've found a peculiar situation that's occurred twice and I'm not sure if it's related to the s/w update, the fact the the car was worked on, or neither of these. Specifically what happens is that I go to charge (at either L1 or L2) and when I first plug in, the light around the charging socket (at car) is white. So I remove and reinsert the "nozzle" and now it turns blue and flashing, like it usually would, first time around. Then, several hours later I come back. I unlock the car and now the ring is flashing red, not blue. In one case, with the L1, it did not charge at all. In the other case, with the L2, it did appear to charge, but not the full amount for the time I was parked. I did check my charge rate after the new s/w and both L1/L2 are still set to Max.

Anybody seen similar behavior or have any thoughts o what might be going on? It's a little worrisome to return to the car, especially when batteries are low, only to find that the car has not charged as expected.

Considering the car is reporting some form of fault during charge (do you see any messages on display or the remote app?) you should go back to dealer to see what is going on. Obviously most likely culprit is the software update.

BMW4Me said:
Actually, iRemote is no longer syncing with the car. Something I've reported but is not yet fixed.
I think that it's more that the car is not sending actual current information to the server. The use of the SOS button, or a power reset (fuse F115) often, but not always restores it. I personally think it's a bug, and the car gets caught up in a loop for that information, thus, you see the same old date. The app, when you start it, shows those fields blank...it is getting the information from the server, and the server may or may not be querying the car...regardless, it's old data, and therefore useless.

Back