Regenerative braking noise (metal on metal scraping)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrobb

I've had my i3 ReX for a few weeks now and haven't run into any issues. But this morning I started getting a pretty bad metal on metal scraping sound when moving. It seemed to happen more at lower speeds when I was coasting, so I suspect its tied to the regenerative braking system. I captured it on video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1hVPuqoZI

The noise really starts kicking in around the 20 second mark when I let off the accelerator pedal to slow down for the car in front of me. It's extremely loud and sounds like it may be damaging something but I have no warning lights. It sounds a lot like a cappuccino machine in the cabin.

I should mention that while it was cold this morning, it's about 15 degrees warmer than the prior two mornings where I haven't had any issues. Anyone heard anything like this before?

You can get a sound like that from a gravel chip stuck between the disk and its cover plate. We had it twice after our road was resurfaced, and it took ten or fifteen miles or so before the chip fell out and the noise went away.

PhilH said:
You can get a sound like that from a gravel chip stuck between the disk and its cover plate. We had it twice after our road was resurfaced, and it took ten or fifteen miles or so before the chip fell out and the noise went away.

Thats exactly what it sounds like, happened to me too.

Just reach in through the wheel and push on the brake shield behind the discs and listen for a pebble to fall out.

SSi3 said:
Just reach in through the wheel and push on the brake shield behind the discs and listen for a pebble to fall out.
Preferably not after you've driven the car. Brake discs hold a LOT Of heat and can burn the living crap out of you.

Thanks everyone. That appears to have been it. Rocking the plate back and forth a bit seems to have jarred it loose. Appreciate the quick responses.

Back