remote app

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soapboxjonny said:
i'd like to be able to turn on and off the parking lights using the remote app. good idea or not ?

Why would you need to do this? Parking lights? Who leaves the lights on when the car is parked and not in use?
Unnecessary use of electricity!

I think that you can only flash the lights not keep them on indefinitely.

Talking of remote app, I seem to have installed 2 but only one works. I don't seem to be able to log into the app REMOTE, its the one which has "start demo" on login page.

I have read a variety of posts about the Remote App and they all seem to have 2 themes. One being how good it is, however, the other primary theme seems to be about how to get it working correctly with the car.

Anyone out there with the car and app working willing to start a ‘how to’ thread? Others can then edit it so we can capture the whole process including any pitfalls. Ivd neither the car or the app yet - have to wait to Sept………..

MikeS said:
Anyone out there with the car and app working willing to start a ‘how to’ thread? Others can then edit it so we can capture the whole process including any pitfalls. Ivd neither the car or the app yet - have to wait to Sept………..

That is a good idea MikeS.

I just created one on my Google Drive : https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UNRVt-8ubISZBT9xK9pnxKArmuwSCWyYU57OWdVBjo/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone should be able to contribute with additional questions if needed. I already answered a couple of them. Will be adding info in the next few days.

Enjoy!

Agi - Great thank you. Ive added the UK url and hopefully someone with hands on info can fill in the other gaps.

1. Add real time battery status (while car is driving)
2. Add real time location polling at a minimum and tracking if possible
3. Ability to open car remotely (not currently possible for North American models)
4. Display time to complete charge on the app
5. Set a specific target temperature for the climate control

znino said:
3. Ability to open car remotely (not currently possible for North American models)

2. Location and directions back to vehicle on the Mobility screen aren't real time? In SF at least, it's creepy how accurate the route to vehicle is. I live in a condo complex that covers most of a city block. The nav knows the pedestrian exist from the residential area and the street entrance to the garage.

4. When charging is active, you can tap the percentage and it will show you the time to a complete charge.

stumbledotcom said:
znino said:

2. Location and directions back to vehicle on the Mobility screen aren't real time? In SF at least, it's creepy how accurate the route to vehicle is. I live in a condo complex that covers most of a city block. The nav knows the pedestrian exist from the residential area and the street entrance to the garage.

4. When charging is active, you can tap the percentage and it will show you the time to a complete charge.

Thanks for the hint about the time to complete charge.

For the real time location I am talking about going onto the app and seeing where the car is, at all times, not just when it has been shut down. I would like to be able to see the location of the car as it moves and its speed.

znino said:
For the real time location I am talking about going onto the app and seeing where the car is, at all times, not just when it has been shut down. I would like to be able to see the location of the car as it moves and its speed.

I take it you mean when you're not the driver. The vehicle is communicating that info. The BMW Assist operator knows where you're at when you call, even if you're driving. It's also crucial for the stolen vehicle recovery service. I have to assume BMW has opted not to make the info visible for privacy purposes, which is fine by me.

znino said:

If this can help, note that you can send your current location by text message (while driving) using the Connected Drive menu (BMW on line). I don't know if this possibility is limited to Europe only or if it is trim-dependant, but I definitely have it in my i3.

agj said:
znino said:

If this can help, note that you can send your current location by text message (while driving) using the Connected Drive menu (BMW on line). I don't know if this possibility is limited to Europe only or if it is trim-dependant, but I definitely have it in my i3.

All that is fine but it is not what I am referring to. I want to be able to track where my car is and how fast it is going at any given time by looking at the phone. If I lend out my car or it is stolen or my kid has it. Just like I can do with my Model S or Roadster or any on star car. There are no privacy issues, It is my car and it knows its location and I should be able to poll for it.

mindmachine said:
Soapboxjonny said:
i'd like to be able to turn on and off the parking lights using the remote app. good idea or not ?

Why would you need to do this? Parking lights? Who leaves the lights on when the car is parked and not in use?
Unnecessary use of electricity!

On narrow streets, which are common in many older European cities, cars parked on the street frequently leave their parking lots on to avoid being hit. That's the setting in some cars that make it to the U.S. which turn on only either the right or left side parking lights.

No normally a practice in the U.S.

That feature, controlled partly with the turn signal lever as I remember, does not work in the USA on cars, or any that are US spec. On some, it also had a separate low-wattage bulb for that specific purpose, and didn't use it when the ignition was on, unless it detected the 'main' bulb out. Not sure all brands/models were that sophisticated, though.

The remote app as implemented in the USA lets you do three 'remote' functions plus preconditioning: lock/unlock, flash lights, and honk the horn.

stumbledotcom said:
znino said:

I take it you mean when you're not the driver. The vehicle is communicating that info. The BMW Assist operator knows where you're at when you call, even if you're driving. It's also crucial for the stolen vehicle recovery service. I have to assume BMW has opted not to make the info visible for privacy purposes, which is fine by me.

I think we should at least be able to enable this if we want it (locating and tracking the car on a map). Ford does this, and I find it invaluable when my wife has the car and I just want to see where she is any time during the day. Or, just for peace of mind, I can look on the app and make sure that the car is where I last left it! The driver has the ability to disable this tracking feature any time.

I also wish that BMW had a web-based application that had the same features as the smartphone apps (and maybe a little more) so I could do all of these things from a desktop computer or anything with a browser.

-RR

Back