Repeated Check Engine Light - "EME current overload"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeEyes

Hi, we have a brand new i3 REx and the check engine light came on. The dealer said the fault was:

EME current overload protection activated during charging
We had them reset the code and do a full software update. They say there was a new i3 update released by BMW around 13-Jul-2015, which they say we now have.

2 days later and the check engine light has come on again. I'm guessing it's the same code.

We have the JuiceBox Pro 40. We have it set to a limit of 24A due to it being on a 30A circuit. I can't think why the car would experience a "current overload".

Do you have any ideas or troubleshooting tests we can try? We do have an OBD-II Bluetooth dongle.

(I know the i3 REx was "plagued" by a CEL issue (http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-plagued-check-engine-light-us) in April 2014 but that was meant to have been fixed long before now. The media version now shows as MN-003.001.002, though I don't think that's the car's software version - not sure where to find that.)

The media software version is totally independent of the vehicle software. That information is available by a service menu which is kind of a pain to access, or you can view it if you save a profile to a USB drive, then view that file with an editor.

Back