REx Automatic Maintenance Cycle for 10 minutes after 1600 mi

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CompuMagic

I have over 1600 miles on my i3 REx without the gas generator ever coming on... A few days ago I brought it in to have the software updated per the CEL issue. When I picked it up yesterday and started to drive it out of the dealership I immediately stopped in the parking lot when I saw this:

14488618348_7bb7e00b6d.jpg

14672855664_09d38252fb_n.jpg

Later I confirmed this in the owners manual:

14488776818_53edd16a88_o.png

But it is interesting it only started doing this right after I picked it up from the dealer and after the software update. I have no idea how often this 10 minute maintenance run has to occur and perhaps it was pure coincidence that it occurred right after I started driving out of the dealership.

I never heard the gas engine before this.... I had to get the battery down to 75% or less so I took it out for a spin with the air on occasionally...

14671986211_5019ce4da3.jpg

14671988891_883f469b8c.jpg

Finally when it is over it just shuts the gas engine off (which you can hear puttering in the back) and gives you this message:

14488741547_21a0e40dea.jpg

Thanks for the article, that's really useful information to have. I ordered my REx about 2.5 months ago and it's supposed to be delivered early next week....can't wait to finally be driving it.

That really was a coincidence with the dealer. I had my first maintainance run 2 weeks ago after exactly 2.400km = 1.500 miles. Reported about that in the German i3 forum. Same procedure, 10 minutes. Recently somebody reported about REx maintainance after 2.000km. So there seems to be some variation, so far we had 1.250 to 1.700 miles.

Maybe time is a factor? Mine was 48 days after I picked it up from the dealer, but I believe it has been there for another 2 days. 50 day cycle?

Frank

The bearings and wear surfaces like to see the oil moved around periodically, and, fuel does get stale. It might be a good idea to consider a fuel stabilizer if your normal operation doesn't activate the REx. I think it would be a good idea to run that by the service department at the dealership. Today's fuel is more stable than that of years ago, but it still can have issues if it sits for too long.

CompuMagic said:
I have over 1600 miles on my i3 REx without the gas generator ever coming on... A few days ago I brought it in to have the software updated per the CEL issue...

...it is interesting it only started doing this right after I picked it up from the dealer and after the software update. I have no idea how often this 10 minute maintenance run has to occur and perhaps it was pure coincidence that it occurred right after I started driving out of the dealership.

This is purely speculative, but it might not be a coincidence. BMW modified the REx control software for North America to only allow the REx to engage when the battery was at 7% charge or less. If BMW made that limit too broad it could have prevented the maintenance cycle from trying to engage with over 7% charge. The software update could have restored the original 75% battery charge limit for REx engagement solely for maintenance mode.

I develop software professionally and see this sort of error (and have made it).

As another data point, my REx maintenance cycle kicked in with less than 300 miles on the car. Same screens and cycle as the OP showed. This was pre-software update as it happened with the CEL on.
Since then, I've been to the dealer for the SW patch. No CEL since, and no maintenance cycle either, but it has only been a few days.
I'm inclined to believe it's time-based, not mileage.

I had the same exact message appear today when I started my vehicle with 336 miles on the odometer. I took delivery on May 31, 2014 which is just over six weeks ago without ever using the gas engine during the entire time. I have not had the software update for the CEL performed yet. I have also owned three Chevrolet Volts (2012, 2013, and 2014) in the past which routinely performed maintenance runs approximately every six weeks.
I do feel that this is most probably a timed occurrence as in the case of the Volt for those individuals who rarely, if ever, need to use the gas engine.

Looks like time is very similiar.

Picked up my car May 15th, maintainance cycle July 2nd ( 48 days )
electrified : May 31st - July 17th ( 47 days )
CompuMagic May 28th - July 16th ( 49 days )

Now this is really close. Considering the cars have spent a few days at the dealers, we may arrive at a 50 day cycle.

Frank

Possibly, but may be coincidence. Picked up our Rex on 9th May and no maintenance cycle so far unless we've missed it. However, we have been catching up on trips we were unable to do with the Leaf, so might have used Rex enough to avoid needing one.

BrianStanier said:
Possibly, but may be coincidence. Picked up our Rex on 9th May and no maintenance cycle so far unless we've missed it. However, we have been catching up on trips we were unable to do with the Leaf, so might have used Rex enough to avoid needing one.

Oh yeah if you used your REx then I would think a maintenance cycle will not be needed unless the car goes without using the gas for long time like mine did.
And as for missing it, I don't think you could easily miss it - the car was beeping at me and putting messages up several times.

fdl1409 said:
Looks like time is very similiar.

Picked up my car May 15th, maintainance cycle July 2nd ( 48 days )
electrified : May 31st - July 17th ( 47 days )
CompuMagic May 28th - July 16th ( 49 days )

Now this is really close. Considering the cars have spent a few days at the dealers, we may arrive at a 50 day cycle.

Frank

Interesting... did you use your REx at all during that time period? I didn't... thanks

Neither did I. If you use the REx, there is no need for a maintainance cycle. I think the count starts afresh after every use of the REx, no matter regular or maintainance.

Frank

Back