REx Maintenance Schedule - OK it caught me out.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengus

Five weeks and 500 miles of I3REx ownership and the maintenance cycle has caught me out. I planned to use the REx on a l120 mile drive next week but this morning up came the warning as I was about to drive a mile or so to the local store. I just wish that the system would offer some form of delay. Rather than glide up to the shops we 'putted' our way through town.

Hengus said:
Five weeks and 500 miles of I3REx ownership and the maintenance cycle has caught me out. I planned to use the REx on a l120 mile drive next week but this morning up came the warning as I was about to drive a mile or so to the local store. I just wish that the system would offer some form of delay. Rather than glide up to the shops we 'putted' our way through town.
Surely it's a non issue apart from a few minutes of the noise of the REx running and won't affected your planned trip.

The maintenance cycle will not start until the battery level drops some so that there is some place to put the energy produced by the REx...so, if the vehicle is essentially fully charged, it can not run. That's the only functional way to stop it that I know. Same reason why you can't turn it on manually until the battery gets to 75% or lower in most of the world, it won't turn on automatically, either. It wants to run for about 10-minutes when it does happen.

Not at all, but I would prefer to run it outside of suburban areas and, preferably, I need a drive time of more than 10 minutes for a full maintenance cycle. As my wife often says, 'if in doubt read the manual'. It states that if 'the maintenance run of the REx is done at unfavourable point in time, the maintenance run can also be interrupted by pressing the start/stop button. The maintenance run is then postponed to another time'. No indication though of how long the postponement might be.

Back