Sales still off to slow start in California

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiburonh

I got this email from San Francisco BMW today:

"I wanted to let you know that we are set to receive a few available for sale i3 models by the end of the April. I will keep you posted. Get back to me if you have any questions.

Thank you
Kamal Mamedov
Internet Sales Manager
BMW of San Francisco
1675 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103
Direct 415-551-4273 | Cell 415-299-1979 | Fax 415-544-5350"

I think this is because there is so little info about the car in CA. It has taken me three weeks to find out what I can actually order or not. The cars come with Tera world, no sunroof, and all other options, except the 20" wheels. You can pick the color (metallic only) and if you want the $1300 wheels. No one can even get me a price on the BMW EVSE. I ordered mine but if you want different options, you will not get your car until mid-August because custom build begin in July, I was told.

I’m growing increasingly frustrated and disheartened by the lack of information from BMW NA in general and BMW of San Francisco in particular.

I placed a configuration request on January 19, weekend of the local driving event. I specified a BEV, Giga trim with all the options except the 20” wheels. I offered to put down a deposit but was refused.

On Feb. 1, I emailed my sales person regarding the sunroof availability. Response was, "Sun roof, not sure yet. Give me a few days.” Question has not been answered to date.

On Feb 12, I emailed again asking status of order and when they’d take a deposit. Response was, "It's being ordered . When the process is done, I will update you, It should be within the week.”

That was the last communication. I emailed again yesterday, March 11. Have not received a reply.

When I placed the configuration, I also inquired about the wall charger and installation since both are featured on bmwusa.com. Sales person had no clue. Had to make several calls. Finally told me that the wall charger would be sold through the accessory department—the mud flaps and license plate frames people. I was told to find my own electrician for the install.

Bear in mind that I am a current BMW owner. I previously purchased from this dealer and have used them exclusively for service. I cannot comprehend why they refused my repeated deposit offers and are seemingly incapable of providing a direct answer to my specific questions.

In the two months since I drove the i3, I am if anything more convinced that it’s a truly innovative vehicle, both conceptually and in execution. But after watching the rumors and conflicting information develop on this site and others, I’ve also come to the conclusion that BMW NA is in the process of botching the US market launch.

I still want an i3. But I am losing hope that BMW will get its act together enough to take my money.

This is exactly my assessment.

Add to this the terrible lack of knowledge at the test drive events - they are irritating and alienating a lot of potential customers.

Hopefully the MB B class comes out soon.

I emailed the top MB dealer in DFW (Park Place Motors). The sales rep stated he checked with his GM and the MB B class isn't coming out in the US until 2016. I said the MB website says June. He said it might be a mistake on the website. Bleh.

stillageek said:
I emailed the top MB dealer in DFW (Park Place Motors). The sales rep stated he checked with his GM and the MB B class isn't coming out in the US until 2016. I said the MB website says June. He said it might be a mistake on the website. Bleh.

That GM is either an ignoramus or a lier. Or both.

Not that I wish any evil on dealers and their staff, but for me the day can't come soon enough when their role in the sales process gets reduced by technology to simply coordinating test drives. :)

The B-Class EV will indeed launch in the US over the summer (June/July). I had a long (over an hour) conversation with a B-Class Electric Drive product manager last week in Geneva at the Motor Show:
b-class-mercedes-600x449.jpg

TomMoloughney said:
The B-Class EV will indeed launch in the US over the summer (June/July).
To be clear, only in certain states. Below is an e-mail response I received after requesting this information from MBUSA:

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

The all-new B-Class Electric Drive will be available starting summer 2014 at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in select states — CA, CT, MD, OR, NJ, NY, RI and VT — and then nationwide in early 2015.

TomMoloughney said:
I had a long (over an hour) conversation with a B-Class Electric Drive product manager last week in Geneva at the Motor Show
Time for a new blog? Or at least a nice blog post sharing what you learned! We want details!

EDIT: And to whom do we complain about that list of states? VT over MA? Really? There are more cows than cars in VT. There are precious few public charging spots. VT is nice and and "green", but EV friendly it is not.

--Woof!

woof said:
TomMoloughney said:
The B-Class EV will indeed launch in the US over the summer (June/July).
To be clear, only in certain states. Below is an e-mail response I received after requesting this information from MBUSA:

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

The all-new B-Class Electric Drive will be available starting summer 2014 at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in select states — CA, CT, MD, OR, NJ, NY, RI and VT — and then nationwide in early 2015.

TomMoloughney said:
I had a long (over an hour) conversation with a B-Class Electric Drive product manager last week in Geneva at the Motor Show
Time for a new blog? Or at least a nice blog post sharing what you learned! We want details!

EDIT: And to whom do we complain about that list of states? VT over MA? Really? There are more cows than cars in VT. There are precious few public charging spots. VT is nice and and "green", but EV friendly it is not.

--Woof!

Woof: It's launching in those states because those are the eight "Compliance States". Only the cars sold in those states give Daimler the "gold credits" they need to continue selling polluting gasoline and diesel cars in California. Once they have sold enough cars in those states, they will then slowly open sales up in other states, but don't look for that to happen before sometime in 2015.

I didn't learn too much more than what has been announced. Unfortunately, much of what we talked about was off the record. They just aren't ready to reveal much more just yet. I do like the B-Class, but not over the i3 if it has about the same range which it likely will. They may be working on a fix for that in the future though ;)

TomMoloughney said:
[
Woof: It's launching in those states because those are the eight "Compliance States". Only the cars sold in those states give Daimler the "gold credits" they need to continue selling polluting gasoline and diesel cars in California.

I believe you are referring to the Clean Air Act, Section 177 states. (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/zev_tutorial.pdf page 112)

MA is one of those states too, yet isn't on MB's list. As a MA resident I protest!

--Woof!

Alexander99 said:
Tom,

40kw pack and ability to charge at Tesla super chargers?

Definitely no Supercharger access. I can say with confidence Tesla will not allow anyone to use their supercharger network, even if they supply the power train to another OEM like they have for Daimler and Toyota.

How do you think a Model S owner would feel if they roll up to a Supercharger and have to get in line behind two B-Class Mercedes that need to charge also. It's just not happening. Also, even though Tesla bills the Superchargers as "free", they certainly aren't. You have paid ahead of time for the privilege to use them when you bought your car, it's built into the price of the car and probably added $2,000 or so to the cost. I suppose Tesla could charge MB that fee per vehicle (in addition to the additional hardware cost installed on the vehicle) that they made but it still comes back to Tesla customers having exclusive access to the Supercharger network. I don't think Tesla customers would be happy at all if they suddenly had to share it with other EV owners that bought "lesser" EV's. ;)

TomMoloughney said:
I can say with confidence Tesla will not allow anyone to use their supercharger network, even if they supply the power train to another OEM like they have for Daimler and Toyota...I don't think Tesla customers would be happy at all if they suddenly had to share it with other EV owners that bought "lesser" EV's. ;)
I have to disagree with you here Tom. Tesla has been quite clear they want to build a sustainable EV future, not just a Tesla future, and if that means sharing SuperCharger technology they will:
Musk said he is "open to the idea" of sharing Tesla's charging technology with a major automaker.

"The other manufacturers can either copy us or join us," he told reporters.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/30/us-tesla-smaller-idUSBRE94T10A20130530
If other manufacturers help pay for, or better yet build and maintain their own branded SuperCharger locations, expanding the network, that helps everyone.

It's all part of Tesla's Secret Master Plan:
...the overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainable solution.
Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me

The more EV's the merrier. The more SuperChargers, even better. We Tesla owners won't be snobs...really! Even if "lesser" cars are in our way! ;-)

(BTW, since when BMW owners (or MB owners for that matter) consider themselves as the "lesser" vehicle?)

--Woof!

It may be that Tesla will open up the Supercharger network, BUT could CHARGE (no pun intended) non Tesla vehicles to use the station. Of course all of this ignores challenges with general incompatibility of the vehicles with the Tesla chargers. I see Tesla owners will be able to use CHaDemo now...with what looks to be a pricey adapter.

I'd love to see it happen woof but I just don't believe it will. If it does It would have to be done with adapters because no other OEM is going to use the Tesla connector as their only way to charge. I think the biggest opportunity for this to happen would have obviously been with Toyota on the RAV4 EV and Daimler with the B-Class ED and both balked at the chance to do so - and that's if Tesla offered to allow the vehicles to be supercharger capable (for a price of course). Message me when it happens and I'll admit I was wrong, but I just don't think that's a message I'll be getting anytime soon. ;)

Right now there is very little backlog at the Superchargers because there are so few Model S's out there and only in a few areas of CA is there any high concentrations of them, but once the X comes out and some more time passes there will likely be a queue at many Supercharger stops and I really think it would create an issue if Tesla owners have to wait an hour before plugging in because there were 2 or 3 other EV's there ahead of them that weren't Tesla's. In any event this will be interesting to watch play out. What will happen with the Japanese standard vs the US/European standard? Will they simply make dual head units or will it continue fragmented where you have to check what 'standard' the location you found on your app uses?

Update (if anyone cares): My bitchy post above resulted in a PM suggesting I go see a more knowledgable CA at another dealer. Turns out I already knew and trusted this guy. Purchased my current 3-series from him. Had just lost track when he left SF. Happily he had an i3 in his allocation that matched my specs exactly. Even better it was manufactured last week. I've put a deposit on it and anticipate it will arrive with the second wave, immediately after the Electronaut deliveries. Keeping my fingers crossed for May.

I also understand that sales training is taking place in SoCal next week. Hopefully that will start putting an end to the mass confusion that's out there.

Now it's time to get serious about having a charger installed in the condo garage.

I am in Southern California. I spoke with my i3 dealer today who tells me that he exhausted his allotment of 38 i3s quickly and that he hears a similar story from other Southern California dealers.

Back