Slower charging in the cold?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

Unfortunately, I moved parking garages at the same time the weather got cold, but in my new spot, the same brand of charger seems like it's taking much longer to charge. (BEV from 50% now takes 3 hours) It seems like my charging was shorter than that before.

Are longer charge times normal in the cold? OR should I have facilities see if the settings on the chargers need adjusting. (It's a GE Wattstation, and there is an internal jumper that can be used to limit the draw)

If you are preconditioning the cabin or battery pack, your charging time would increase because some of the charge is being used for preconditioning.

The internal jumper in your EVSE should be set to limit the maximum current that your EVSE could deliver to 80% of the rated capacity of your charging circuit. E.g., if your charging circuit's capacity is 30 amps, the jumper should be set to limit the maximum current that your EVSE could deliver to 24 amps.

If the charging circuit at your previous garage had a higher capacity than that at your new garage, your charging time would be greater.

The max draw is in amps, but the actual power available is also dependent on the acv supplied. So a 30A unit running on say 208vac (typical in commercial installations) is 30*208=6240W. That same 30A if supplied with 240vac would be 30*240=7200W, or over 15% more power available in the same time. The i3 can handle up to 7400W input. Throw in that in the cold, you are probably using a higher percentage of the battery capacity for the same trips as in the warmer times of the year...it makes sense that it would take longer to recharge.

I'm the first guy in the morning, so I always plug in after driving 12 miles, so it should be preconditioned, etc.

I suspect that the jumper is set wrong, but I don't have a direct way to measure that at hand (just the 'time' to finish, which is too far removed from KWH...)

Back