snow wheel/tire package prices

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXelectric

Hi,

I know winter is far away, but I was hoping to get a deal on winter packages and I didn't want to get caught shorthanded later this year. I had a few questions:

1. Does the Blizzak/19" snow package come with TPMS sensors?

3. I have found the package on discount for $36x/wheel + tire online. Is this the best price out there?

Thanks in advance

The premounted winter tire packages direct from BMW do come with TPMS in the USA. Believe it or not, you best price may be direct from a dealer. For whatever reason, buying just a replacement wheel costs more than what BMW charges for it when bought in a package with the tire and the TPMS! The list price is a bit more than what you listed there, but you may be able to negotiate a good deal. Those sold in Canada, may not use the TPMS, and rely on wheel package rotation rates with a low-pressure tire to detect the failure...there are two different part numbers, one with the TPMS and one without - make sure you get what you want. The US vehicles won't work properly without them.

Keep in mind that any left sitting around are probably at least a year old already, and with tire rubber, that's not ideal...the rubber gets harder the longer it sits around, so a new set built sometime this spring for next winter would be better.

I don't drive mine enough to probably wear out a set, so aging them out is more of a concern to me.

WHen I went to pick up mine, all four were mounted for the left-hand side of the car! THey had to remount two of them - the tires are directional. Make sure to check yours when they arrive.

TireRack has a Rial rim and TPMS sensors available for our car. Blizzaks are also available but there is a better tire. Nokian makes a Hakka R2 which is much higher rated than the Blizzak for snow. They are available from tiresbyweb. Together the rims and the tires with TPMS is around ~$1800. I will be using the Hakka R2 as my winter experience with the Nokians on other vehicles (Subaru's and MB G wagens) blows away pretty much every other tire. Hakka R2's are much better in channeling slush and on hard snow/ice pack. I have had other Blizzaks and been less impressed with them.

$325 from Jake Sweeney: http://www.sweeneyautoparts.com/oemparts/bmw-113/36112349580.html
DCI WHEEL TIRE WINTER L369012
Make: Bmw | Part#: 36112349580
List Price: $373.95
Your Price: $324.96

I have been following the prices from the dealers and don't see any significant seasonal changes (BTW Sweeney is a local dealer for me so I can go pick up). I also think that aging is a problem with winter tires (as well as all others in general), so would wait until late this year to buy.

Back