That steering wheel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterize

I have the "grey leather steering wheel highlighted with blue BMW i accents" in a base Mega. I dislike the wheel for several reasons:

- No heated steering wheel. This omission defies logic. On all but the coldest days, I could drive to work in a down jacket, heated seats and heated steering wheel, with the heater off, probably adding 10 miles of range. Even at max output, the direct heating would likely require less energy than a running heat pump.

- At some point during a drive, my middle fingers find the torx screws on either side of the back of the wheel. The screw head is cold in winter and fairly sharp to the touch. Feel of material is not insignificant in interior car design. How on Earth did this get past the interior managers? The screw behind the door handle has a plastic cap. The screw holding the visor to the roof has a cap. Why, on a surface that I touch every time I drive the car, can I touch sharp torx screws?

- If there's any car that caters to the granola/fleece/vegan demographic, this is it. Why then, in this base model, is the wheel leather-wrapped? Many people have very strong feelings about the use of leather in products. And the wheel is so slick, it doesn't really feel like leather. Why not a Sensatec-wrapped wheel in the base model, like the seat vinyl?

mask.jpg

- Orientation: The wheel appears upside down. It appears to suffer a glandular problem. The designers needed to accommodate a clear view of the selector lever behind the wheel, but in doing so they obscured other interface data, such as if the green LED on the wiper stalk is active and the LED level of the heated seat on the center stack. I have to move my head around the steering to see if I'm at one or two LEDs — oh, the horror!). The winning design of the wheel should have obscured none of these.

- Color: BMW steering wheels should be black. Not only is the gray wheel prone to discoloring, a non-black steering wheel in a BMW looks profoundly uncool. Next thing you know, we'll have FWD bimmers. We have to draw a line in the sand.

If the interior of the i3 is a tuxedo (and, overall, it really is), the steering wheel is a pair of brown shoes.

websterize said:
I have the "grey leather steering wheel highlighted with blue BMW i accents" in a base Mega. I dislike the wheel for several reasons:

- No heated steering wheel. This omission defies logic. On all but the coldest days, I could drive to work in a down jacket, heated seats and heated steering wheel, with the heater off, probably adding 10 miles of range. Even at max output, the direct heating would likely require less energy than a running heat pump.

- At some point during a drive, my middle fingers find the torx screws on either side of the back of the wheel. The screw head is cold in winter and fairly sharp to the touch. Feel of material is not insignificant in interior car design. How on Earth did this get past the interior managers? The screw behind the door handle has a plastic cap. The screw holding the visor to the roof has a cap. Why, on a surface that I touch every time I drive the car, can I touch sharp torx screws?

- If there's any car that caters to the granola/fleece/vegan demographic, this is it. Why then, in this base model, is the wheel leather-wrapped? Many people have very strong feelings about the use of leather in products. And the wheel is so slick, it doesn't really feel like leather. Why not a Sensatec-wrapped wheel in the base model, like the seat vinyl?

- Orientation: The wheel appears upside down. It appears to suffer a glandular problem. The designers needed to accommodate a clear view of the selector lever behind the wheel, but in doing so they obscured other interface data, such as if the green LED on the wiper stalk is active and the LED level of the heated seat on the center stack. I have to move my head around the steering to see if I'm at one or two LEDs — oh, the horror!). The winning design of the wheel should have obscured none of these.

- Color: BMW steering wheels should be black. Not only is the gray wheel prone to discoloring, a non-black steering wheel in a BMW looks profoundly uncool. Next thing you know, we'll have FWD bimmers. We have to draw a line in the sand.

If the interior of the i3 is a tuxedo (and, overall, it really is), the steering wheel is a pair of brown shoes.

Couldn't disagree more about the steering wheel. Yes a heated wheel I would agree would be a welcome addition. I feel the wheel looks just fine to me even would say it looks darn nice, agree the screw heads should have been better thought out but mine are not sharp at all and I never even noticed them till you pointed out that they were even there. I had to go out and check just to make sure my Terra had the same wheel that you are ranting about. Get yourself a tube of clear silicone and dab a little on the screw heads. I'm not trying to be funny, the silicone would be an easy way to cover them and it could be easily removed if necessary and would be soft to the touch.

About the leather this is a BMW! Just because we hug trees and hate pollution doesn't mean we don't eat meat. I am not vegan and never will be unless the government makes me. Environmentally friendly doesn't mean vegan by any means, at least not in my book.

I agree 100%. It bothers me so much that I'm inclined to see if it's possible to order the dark steering wheel that comes with the Terra and have the dealer swap it in. Anyone know if this would be possible or just so cost prohibitive I should stop dreaming now?

Interesting how different opinions can be - I actually like that wheel and have no problems with its feel or looks. Only problem I have is I would like the left-right controls swapped but that has been the case on all BMW wheels for some years now.

We love the light colored interior on our Giga, but the matching wheel is a mistake. We often neglect to wash our hands before driving and a darker wheel will not show the dirt. It is not unusual for me to run to the DIY center in the middle of a project with grimy hands, ink from the morning paper also leaves a mark.

I find that turning the wheel upsidedown when the interior gets cleaned at the car wash encourages them to attend to the parts that are normally hidden. ;)

ocraig1 said:
I agree 100%. It bothers me so much that I'm inclined to see if it's possible to order the dark steering wheel that comes with the Terra and have the dealer swap it in. Anyone know if this would be possible or just so cost prohibitive I should stop dreaming now?

If you're going to do a swap, I would wait until they release a heated wheel.

i3atl said:
ocraig1 said:

That would require many more parts than just the heated wheel.

websterize said:
Next thing you know, we'll have FWD bimmers. We have to draw a line in the sand.

You haven't heard of the 2 Series Active Tourer yet then? FWD. The latest model, and probably the first of many more. I think born out by the results of a customer survey where they asked their "shopping car" owners if they knew whether it was front or rear wheel drive and they replied "what does that mean?".

I like the light wheel. Everything is different about this car. Nothing that a bit of Gliptone liquid leather won't sort out if it gets dirty. Best still... clean it regularly before it gets dirty. Its a bit like complianing they shouldn't have white paint as an option, especially this time of year with all the salt on the roads. (Check my sig).

If you don't like cleaing cars, go to the local hand valet where they charge next to nothing these days as everyone is from overseas and willing to work for minimum wage. But they still do a good job. Better than a machine.

jelloslug said:
i3atl said:
ocraig1 said:

That would require many more parts than just the heated wheel.

We would have to wait and see what the change looks like on the i3 - sometimes it's just a new relay and slip ring, then swap the airbag over to the new wheel. I agree that it could end up so difficult that it's not worthwhile.

jelloslug said:
Talk about first world problems....

:D HAHAHAHA... so true.... +1

I dunno, I really REALLY wanted the dark interior but wasn't prepared to spend Terra prices... Now the light steering wheel with the cool blue ring has grown on me so much I don't know if I could go back! I love it.

As far as those Torx screws, I had to go look for them. Mine are recessed enough where I CAN'T get to them. I am guessing that Wolfgang grabbed the wrong length screw at the factory. Maybe his black turtleneck was too tight or the techno music in his ibuds was too loud and got distracted, but mine can't be felt.

DeafSoundGuy said:
jelloslug said:

I dunno, I really REALLY wanted the dark interior but wasn't prepared to spend Terra prices... Now the light steering wheel with the cool blue ring has grown on me so much I don't know if I could go back! I love it.

As far as those Torx screws, I had to go look for them. Mine are recessed enough where I CAN'T get to them. I am guessing that Wolfgang grabbed the wrong length screw at the factory. Maybe his black turtleneck was too tight or the techno music in his ibuds was too loud and got distracted, but mine can't be felt.
I would like the metallic blue trim on my black wheel. I think that would look nice but the trim is not sold separately.

i3atl said:
We would have to wait and see what the change looks like on the i3 - sometimes it's just a new relay and slip ring, then swap the airbag over to the new wheel. I agree that it could end up so difficult that it's not worthwhile.
You would also need new column trim, the button that mounts on the side of the steering column, all the wiring that goes up to the column, and lastly you would have to code the car to make it all work.

jelloslug said:
You would also need new column trim, the button that mounts on the side of the steering column, all the wiring that goes up to the column, and lastly you would have to code the car to make it all work.

That hasn't been the case for swaps on previous models, which is why we will have to wait and see.

i3atl said:
jelloslug said:

That hasn't been the case for swaps on previous models, which is why we will have to wait and see.
I would imagine that other models had the option to get a heated wheel from the factory. With no option for a heated wheel it would be unlikely that there are provisions in place to incorporate one.

DeafSoundGuy said:
jelloslug said:

+1 big time!

I prefer the brighter, lighter interiors of my cars. Big but, though, they do tend to show dirt more. I could never understand really dark cars and dark interiors in the real world where things can get so hot sitting in the sun. Rented a car in Yuma, AZ once...they handed out pot holders so you could open the door and hold the steering wheel. Really strange unless you're used to it...black leather in shorts would be a killer when you sat down, too.

Back