The EPA range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingslovak

Although this forum has a widespread international audience, there is a significant segment of US visitors. They might be interested in an EPA range prognosis based on a comparative analysis using NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) metrics. None of us on this side of the Atlantic have an i3 at our disposal. Could European owners perhaps kindly comment, and confirm that the i3 had a range comparable to the LEAF or the ZOE in real-world driving? Much appreciated!

The EPA Range of the BMW i3: A Prognosis - Torque News
bmwi3mnl

surfingslovak said:
Although this forum has a widespread international audience, there is a significant segment of US visitors. They might be interested in an EPA range prognosis based on a comparative analysis using NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) metrics. None of us on this side of the Atlantic have an i3 at our disposal. Could European owners perhaps kindly comment, and confirm that the i3 had a range comparable to the LEAF or the ZOE in real-world driving? Much appreciated!

The EPA Range of the BMW i3: A Prognosis - Torque News
bmwi3mnl

Well, it depends on the mode you drive in.
This morning, with preheating activated, we had 75 mls in comfort mode
If you go to eco pro + then you get 85-90 mls reach

roger997 said:
Thanks for that. I think a more accurate metric would be the miles driven without recharging and an approximate percentage of battery charge left. Ideally, the driving would all occur in comfort mode. The guessometer estimates are just that, an approximation of range or a best guess. In my limited expiremce, the guessometer was pretty accurate. That said, it would be better not to rely on it exclusively when trying to get an independent range estimate.

surfingslovak said:
The guessometer estimates are just that, an approximation of range or a best guess. In my limited expiremce, the guessometer was pretty accurate. That said, it would be better not to rely on it exclusively when trying to get an independent range estimate.

I had the car for one full day yesterday.
I did test the long distance range and also city driving.

I will write my observation in the next couple of days.
Mostly good news indeed.

regards,
ken

kentheteaman said:
surfingslovak said:
The guessometer estimates are just that, an approximation of range or a best guess. In my limited expiremce, the guessometer was pretty accurate. That said, it would be better not to rely on it exclusively when trying to get an independent range estimate.

I had the car for one full day yesterday.
I did test the long distance range and also city driving.

I will write my observation in the next couple of days.
Mostly good news indeed.

regards,
ken

Now that's just teasing Ken :D

Chris.

surfingslovak said:
roger997 said:
Thanks for that. I think a more accurate metric would be the miles driven without recharging and an approximate percentage of battery charge left. Ideally, the driving would all occur in comfort mode. The guessometer estimates are just that, an approximation of range or a best guess. In my limited expiremce, the guessometer was pretty accurate. That said, it would be better not to rely on it exclusively when trying to get an independent range estimate.

The actual range of my i3 to now (603km=368mls total) is 19.3kWh/100 km giving me an actual total range of 97km (18.8kWh/19.3kWh/100km*100) = 59mls. This was driven in mixed modi meaning everything from "burning rubber" (just to see if it could!) to my harrowing New Year Eve's trip in EcoPro+! I expect my range will improve as I become more at home driving the car.

In my personal opinion the "normal" driving mode will/should be EcoPro. Comfort mode is not necessary for normal acceleration or cruising. The major power hog is the climate regulation which is decently tamed in EcoPro mode and just plain doesn't work in EcoPro+! This last mode is only useful as a last ditch effort to reach your destination after hitting unavoidable traffic/delays or detours.

i3me said:
The actual range of my i3 to now (603km=368mls total) is 19.3kWh/100 km giving me an actual total range of 97km (18.8kWh/19.3kWh/100km*100) = 59mls.
Thanks for that! The 19.3 kWh / 100 km are a multi-day average, correct? Yes, jackrabbit starts will make themselves noticeable. Do you do mostly city driving or some freeway also? The speed limit is 130 km/h or 80 mph. Did you go at that speed for any length of time? Are the temps in Friesland around 50 ºF or does it get down to the freezing point too. Is your i3 typically garaged? And finally, do you precondition the battery? My apolologies for the multitude of questions. Good to hear that you had some fun with the car.

When I borrowed a REx for an extended test drive - I did 55 miles, with 16 shown as remaining range, before engaging the range extender.

When I picked it up, it was on charge and showing 80 mile range. I kept in in eco-pro and drove it pretty well the way I do my usual car (fairly gently as I'm over 70).

Roughly 50% motorway miles at around 70mph and 50% curvy country road at around 50mph. No spirited driving or overtaking.

Ambient temp was around 15C and aircon set at a rather generous 24C.

I can't quite understand why BMW have optimised the design for such brisk performance - when using it would obviously reduce the range way below their rivals.

In my opinion BMW engineers have got a bit carried away with "making it drive like a BMW" and the marketing people have tried to compensate by exaggerating the range expectations.

As first user experiences are showing - I think it's going to be a 60/70 miles range car rather than 80/100 miles.

This seems very comparable to what I would expect from our Gen1 Leaf. I agree that enthusiastic BMW drivers are likely to be surprised/disappointed by the range they achieve. Like you, as a retired over-70, it doesn't worry me. And we have the Rex ordered as backup.

surfingslovak said:
i3me said:
The actual range of my i3 to now (603km=368mls total) is 19.3kWh/100 km giving me an actual total range of 97km (18.8kWh/19.3kWh/100km*100) = 59mls.
Thanks for that! The 19.3 kWh / 100 km are a multi-day average, correct? Yes, jackrabbit starts will make themselves noticeable. Do you do mostly city driving or some freeway also? The speed limit is 130 km/h or 80 mph. Did you go at that speed for any length of time? Are the temps in Friesland around 50 ºF or does it get down to the freezing point too. Is your i3 typically garaged? And finally, do you precondition the battery? My apolologies for the multitude of questions. Good to hear that you had some fun with the car.

The driving I've done till now has been mixed, but mostly country roads with speed limits of 80 or 100kmh (45 or 60mph). These limits I stick to and I accelerate smoothly, trying not to use more than 50kwh of power during acceleration (you can display the momentary power use on the driver's display!). I use the cruise as much as possible and when approaching intersections turn off the cruise and coast for as long as possible and only regenerate substantially the last 100 yards or so. I also make as few "dead stops" as possible, preferring to "read" traffic and anticipate my way through corners without really stopping!

I have also done limited freeway driving at speeds of up to 145kmh (90mph) in EcoPro mode, which was loads of fun! But normally I limit my freeway speeds to 115kmh (70mph).
The past week we've had unseasonally high temps here, during the day around 10C (50F) and at night 5C (40F) and I'm driving with snow tyres which creates a bit more drag. Normal winter temperatures are 2 to 5C at day (35-40F) and -5 to 0 at night (20-30F).
I keep the car in an unheated garage and always try to pre-heat the car, sometimes multiple times if I'm not exactly sure of my departure time (say at 8.30 and then again just before I actually leave)!

i3me said:
surfingslovak said:
i3me said:

The driving I've done till now has been mixed, but mostly country roads with speed limits of 80 or 100kmh (45 or 60mph). These limits I stick to and I accelerate smoothly, trying not to use more than 50kwh of power during acceleration (you can display the momentary power use on the driver's display!). I use the cruise as much as possible and when approaching intersections turn off the cruise and coast for as long as possible and only regenerate substantially the last 100 yards or so. I also make as few "dead stops" as possible, preferring to "read" traffic and anticipate my way through corners without really stopping! I let the cruise accelerate me back up to speed again because it does that far more efficiently than I do.

I have also done limited freeway driving at speeds of up to 145kmh (90mph) in EcoPro mode, which was loads of fun! But normally I limit my freeway speeds to 115kmh (70mph).
The past week we've had unseasonally high temps here, during the day around 10C (50F) and at night 5C (40F) and I'm driving with snow tyres which creates a bit more drag. Normal winter temperatures are 2 to 5C at day (35-40F) and -5 to 0 at night (20-30F).
I keep the car in an unheated garage and always try to pre-heat the car, sometimes multiple times if I'm not exactly sure of my departure time (say at 8.30 and then again just before I actually leave)!

i3me said:

What is that 18.8 kWh ? is it the fraction of the battery actually used/charged ?

Back