Test Drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlsstl

Thinking about leasing an i3 and took my wife over for her first test drive this morning. They had a REX waiting for us - the wife drove for about an hour with me riding shotgun, as I'd driven one about a week ago.

The car performed well and she enjoyed driving. The "one pedal" technique took a few miles to master. Starting out, we either ended up with way too much space between us and the car in front of us at stoplights or she had to use the brake. That was pretty much cured by the end of the drive.

She did some aggressive cornering, as she is wont to do when test driving, and the car did fairly well, but not as good as her current Mini Clubman. Easy to spot that the i3 is much taller and the tires are skinny. However, when driven in our normal day-to-day style, the cornering is quite nice and the i3's suspension is much more accommodating of the rough sections of pavement that are all too common these days.

She was also surprised at the interior roominess, it compares well to the Mini when the seats are down in both. She does a lot of gardening and I don't think the rear seats in the Mini have been up more than once during the past year, so no loss there.

We used about 25 miles of the range for a roughly 15 or 20 mile drive, but then she was pushing it pretty hard. Though not triggered by a low battery, we actually got to hear the REX engine for the last mile or two of the drive -- it kicked on for a "maintenance cycle". Sounded kinda like having a Vespa scooter right behind you in the next lane. We could only hear it when stopped at a light or at very low speed on a smooth paved surface. It was nice to check off that experience without having to drive the battery to near empty.

The only negative was the "whoop whoop" sound the tires made. The smoother the road, the louder it seemed. This car had 20" wheels and in reading elsewhere on this forum, it seems to be a common problem. Not sure if this is tied to tire pressure settings, but have to say that it is an annoying sound. We mentioned it to the salesman who seemed unfamiliar with the issue. His only solution was to offer a different car, but everything they have in stock (three i3s) has 20" wheels.

Would appreciate any comments others have concerning this noise and whether it is fixable as it could be a deal breaker.

It seems that the noise isn't present on all i3's with 20s. I have a November build i3 with 20's that doesn't have the sound, but I distinctly noticed it during 2 test drives on other cars with earlier build dates. There may have been something changed with the tires at some point to eliminate the noise.

Not sure where you are located, but with the 20" wheels, you have no option for winter tires, or (I may be wrong on this) all-season tires.

Guess we won't be getting an i3. After my wife's test drive yesterday morning, we both had to scoot off in different directions so didn't get to talk until last evening. She thinks the car is fun, but simply didn't fall in love with it. She is pretty old school when it comes to cars and likes the sound of engines and shifting gears (her current Mini has a manual transmission).

If it was only my decision, I'd be negotiating details with the salesman today. But, it's not so will chalk this up to another one of those compromises we all make in marriage. This is definitely a car you either fall in love with or you don't. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

mlsstl said:
Guess we won't be getting an i3. After my wife's test drive yesterday morning, we both had to scoot off in different directions so didn't get to talk until last evening. She thinks the car is fun, but simply didn't fall in love with it. She is pretty old school when it comes to cars and likes the sound of engines and shifting gears (her current Mini has a manual transmission).

If it was only my decision, I'd be negotiating details with the salesman today. But, it's not so will chalk this up to another one of those compromises we all make in marriage. This is definitely a car you either fall in love with or you don't. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

FWIW, aside from EVs I normally only drive manual cars as well, and I wasn't sold on the i3 after the first 3 "quick" test drives I did. Once I took one home for 3 days as part of the extended test drive, I decided that it might be worth it.

I think the car doesn't really lend itself well to a short test drive - you need to spend a few days with it. If she's open to it, I would contact your dealer about the 3 day extended test drive, which doesn't cost anything to do.

i3atl said:
FWIW, aside from EVs I normally only drive manual cars as well, and I wasn't sold on the i3 after the first 3 "quick" test drives I did. Once I took one home for 3 days as part of the extended test drive, I decided that it might be worth it.

I think the car doesn't really lend itself well to a short test drive - you need to spend a few days with it. If she's open to it, I would contact your dealer about the 3 day extended test drive, which doesn't cost anything to do.
You are probably right, but at this point, it isn't really worth stirring the pot any further. One of the few things I've learned in nearly 39 years of marriage is when to stop talking.... ;-)

mlsstl said:
You are probably right, but at this point, it isn't really worth stirring the pot any further. One of the few things I've learned in nearly 39 years of marriage is when to stop talking.... ;-)

Sounds like the right choice. Congrats on 39 years!

Well my wife fell in love with it right away and absolutely loves driving it. Talking to her about range issues and charging made no difference. Just buy it, you won't regret it.

Back