U.S. Production Numbers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got our Production #0607124 two weeks ago. It is still sitting as "ordered" but not in production yet.

tallrussian said:
I have a launch edition BEV on order with production number in 070xx range. Was supposed to go into production in week 14. It is week 17 now, and the status still shows "order documented, no confirmed production date yet".

What is the highest number that has been confirmed to reach "in production" or higher status? Anyone in 070xx range? How about anyone in 065xx or above?

I got my production number last week. Progress! No indication when it will go into production, but when it does, I am certain that it will be just as mysterious as when and the way I received my production number.

tallrussian said:
I have a launch edition BEV on order with production number in 070xx range. Was supposed to go into production in week 14. It is week 17 now, and the status still shows "order documented, no confirmed production date yet".

Can I ask where you are seeing these week numbers from? Is this just for North American dealers? Or is there a web site?

Can I ask where you are seeing these week numbers from? Is this just for North American dealers? Or is there a web site?[/quote]

I got both the production number and the target production week (which was supposed to be week 14) from a local San Francisco Bay area dealer within about 2 weeks after I put my order and deposit in on Feb 9, 2014. So far my production seems to be running at least 3 weeks late, with no sign of progress yet.

stefanweitz said:
I am #0606728 and as of today, mine has entered production (according to bmw.com)!

They must be reusing some numbers....unless the i has it's own codes

Here is what the database says for your production number!

Data for vehicle identification number: WBAEC7402F0606728
Model description: 635 CSI
Market: USA
Type: 5374
E-Code: E24
Chassis: Coupé
Steering: links
Doors: 2
Engine: M30 - 3,50l (0kW)
Drive: Heckantrieb
Transmission: manuell
Body Color: Bronzitbeige Metallic (139)
Upholstery: (7206)
Production date: 03.07.1985

Strange! I hope I didn't buy a 1985 6-series! I am in Seattle - bought from BMW of Seattle. Put the $5k down last November.

stefanweitz said:
Strange! I hope I didn't buy a 1985 6-series! I am in Seattle - bought from BMW of Seattle. Put the $5k down last November.
Don't worry. Production numbers have nothing to do with VINs.

Good to hear cars going to dealers outside of California are starting to get built. Hopefully they'll start manufacturing some for us East-Coasters soon as well.

Got on the list from BMW of Bellevue last year. Order entered in late Jan/early Feb. I got my VIN last week and the car entered production on April 14.

Can anyone, please give us newbies :oops: a clear instruction about the relation between the production number, the Production week code, and the VIN? In short, I only have a production number (#0607124) and I put that into the "Track You BMW" section of the BMW USA website. But it just states that my order is recorded, but production has not started. So . . .

What are the detailed steps to get the production week number (call my dealer?!?)
What are the detailed steps to find my VIN from the production number?

Thanks!!

Scott

The following place is the best I have found for NA. Sorry it's another forum

How-To: Follow a new BMW from Order, to Shipping and to Delivery

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/how-to-follow-a-new-bmw-from-order-to-shipping-and-to-delivery/

This is a starter on VIN numbers. I have to say I don't know if your 7 digit numbers are production order numbers or production chassis numbers as in the last 6 digits.

EU & North America
more than 500 vehicles/year WMI Vehicle Attributes Check Digit Model Year Plant Code Sequential Number

WBA WC73 5 6 9 E06XXXX
WBA= BMW AG
WC73= Model code of a 335i
5=Safety restraint identifier, indication of seat belts, duel advanced airbags, rear/side airbags, curtain airbags, ect.
6= check digit determined by vin. Use vin559.org to validate.
9= model year, “9″ code indicates a 2009 manufacture date (see the code in the chart below) for NA. 0 for elsewhere.
E= Plant code, “Regensburg” Germany (A=Munich), V= Leipzig
06XXXX= Sequential production chassis number of the car.

Examples maybe for i3. WBY. 'Y' is for Electric Vehicles.

WBY 1Z22 0x0 V X5yyyy. European Right hand drive i3 BEV

WB Y 1Z2C 5 y E Vx51728. USA i3 BEV. Year digit is correct now at 'E', verified that restraint system code is 5 for USA at least. 1Z43 is type code for US Rex. Code 1Z2C for US BEV Launch Edition.

Then use this site to check that the check digit is correct. Type in the rest with a random digit in the check digit and it tells you what the right digit is. Key that in and it goes green to confirm correct.

http://vin559.com/vincalc.php

Then this site is the ultimate check that gives the spec/engine/options and build date for every BMW ever built. This is where I got the model code from. The are 6 for i3. 3 for Rex 3 for BEV. One each for NA. Europe has 4 for left and right hand drive of each type..

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Hope that helps! (Just the last site hasn't quite got i3 in yet?)

Thanks, Gonville!! We took your excellent guide and constructed our "probable" VIN! With all the info and links we came up with: WBA1Z2306EV607142. The sad thing for us, is it is not in production quite yet so this is our predicted VIN. :lol:

It is like a puzzle!

Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am – 9pm EST.
Phone: 855.236.1025
Email: [email protected]

call the number above to get updated production of i3 for USA orders. Just need to provide production number.

I ordered i3 with all options except Rex and seat heaters from Irvine BMW in California on 1/10/2014.
will enter production on May 21.
however, BMW operator states info subject to change.

dealer tells me that the i3 will be at dealer at end of June.

stefanweitz said:
I am #0606728 and as of today, mine has entered production (according to bmw.com)!

Congratulations! Looks like BMW only has to build about 400 cars before hitting mine!

I got an update from my dealer today indicating that my 06070xx production shifted from the originally planned first week of April to the 3rd week of May. "Req. prod" still shows the original 14/04/14, but "Conf. prod" that used to be empty now is no longer empty and shows "14/05/21". Status is still 111 - order accepted by AG.

Looks like a 7 week delay so far, which is along the lines of what other people seem to be reporting. I am actually ok with that. Ordered in the second week of February.

All the very best to all who ordered! May we all receive our gasoline-free electric exciting commuting machines this year!

Further info on VIN. The i series seems to have its own vehicle type of 'Y'.

The restraint code is '5'. At least in US.

Model code includes another code which might be launch vehicle maybe? 1Z2C is Launch BEV.

WB Y 1Z2C 5 y E V X6xxxx

Example

WBY1Z2C52EVX61728

Amended posts above.

scottlawrencelawson said:
We took your excellent guide and constructed our "probable" VIN! With all the info and links we came up with: WBA1Z2306EV607142. The sad thing for us, is it is not in production quite yet so this is our predicted VIN. :lol:

It is like a puzzle!

Just a little revision. I think yours might be this if it is a Launch BEV:-

WBY1Z2C59EVX67142

Latest posts

Back