UK Order v Delivery Dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed an order for my i3 on 18th December, and surprisingly the estimated delivery date is 3rd March. There is no confirmed build week yet so I am sure this will go back, but there is hope still.

At the end of October a dealer quoted 5 months lead time, with a potential further delay due to Suite leather interior. So anything less than 5 months would be a bonus I guess.

Reading the prior post about the 1 month earlier delivery dates in the UK, I hope the lead times are finally coming down. Perhaps this is linked to the large US dealer inventory I read about on this forum which should increase allocation to the UK. Maybe it is also due to a tailing off in demand due to the large drop in fuel prices, combined with higher manufacturing productivity or removal of prior reported supply chain bottle necks (leather interior, carbon fibre).

UK cars certainly coming through quite quickly. Put down my deposit early Nov, car now in build for Feb delivery. Dealer said allocation gone up as UK strongest market in Europe. I guess the favourable (i.e. profitable) Euro:£ exchange rate helps.

S3RDP said:
UK cars certainly coming through quite quickly. Put down my deposit early Nov, car now in build for Feb delivery. Dealer said allocation gone up as UK strongest market in Europe. I guess the favourable (i.e. profitable) Euro:£ exchange rate helps.
If exchange rate was to blame we wouldn't see any of them here in US :)
I'd say it's mostly market system, here in US we have a dealer exchange system where dealers swap cars on the lots with other dealerships within certain area (in practice this is almost limitless, depends only on transportation cost). i3 doesn't have that many options to choose from so it's almost sure there is an exact i3 you want somewhere around. I got mine trucked in 400 miles, but it was ready to pick up 2 days after I've placed the order. From reading this forum it seems like in UK most of them are custom made? If I were to do custom order in US (totally possible, just not needed) the dealer said it would be 3 months wait.

Yes, All UK i3's built to order as is the norm in this country for virtually all premium cars. The Germans and Brits seem to be able to turn customer orders around pretty quickly for most popular models - I was quoted a max of 6 weeks for a MINI - but non Euro built Japanese cars usually come fully loaded because of the time it takes to ship them more than halfway around the world. We Brits have learned to become a bit more patient than you guys across the pond and are celebrating that the increased allocation of i3's to the UK has brought the wait time down from 6 months plus to 5 months if we are lucky. All good things come to those who wait!

Lincsat said:
Just had the call that my Rex is finally at my dealer, so should be ready for collection Week 2. So looks like it will be nearly exactly 11 Months from ordering. At least my dealer did let me have the demonstrator again to reacquaint myself with the car.

I have now taken delivery of my i3 :)

Now to get used to the features. So far the only bug is the off-peak/timed charging isn't working with the BMW Wallbox

I placed my order on Monday 5th Jan, and the salesman estimated late May or June for delivery. Apparently that's standard for all i3 vehicles in the UK. Will be interesting to see if I hear back from him or BMW sooner!

Went for an Ionic silver REX with Lodge interior, BMW Professional Media, LED headlights, Harman Kardon and DC Rapid Charge system. Excited doesn't begin to describe how I'm feeling. Just wish I didn't have to wait nearly 6 months to drive it home!

For the record I ordered a Rex mid September and just before the new year was informed that it has started production. Was then told that it may be completed later this month. The long wait is nearly over... Having said that I am thinking of delaying registration to get a 2015 plate. Should I do that?

i7fan said:
For the record I ordered a Rex mid September and just before the new year was informed that it has started production. Was then told that it may be completed later this month. The long wait is nearly over... Having said that I am thinking of delaying registration to get a 2015 plate. Should I do that?
I thought about that, but decided just get a random xnxxx type plate. £200. Then you can sell it with the car and when you sell it people will actually look at what date the car is built rather than what the number plate implies - which could be 6 months older based on a 64 plate. If you are luck you might get you own initials cheap. You'll be able to say xnxxx built to order & registered Feb/2015. I work in IT and though about getting EV64BIT. But it's not available as I is not used! Doh!.

Lucky sod.. I order mine in August 6th and it due at delers 19th ... Jan 1 more week!

Regarding delivery dates, I'm suspecting they have opened up a second production line now they finally got the public "beta test" out the way and have sorted the issues in things like the KLE. If I were them I'd want to keep supplies low to start with until sure there are no costly warrenty fixes down the line (which there were!).

nowtta60 said:
I thought about that, but decided just get a random xnxxx type plate. £200.

Regarding delivery dates, I'm suspecting they have opened up a second production line now

An excellent suggestion by you! Do you have a link for that? I found a site that was charging £245.

I was told that a second line HAS been started and further that they extended operation hours on the production lines (possibly to round the clock).

i7fan said:
UPDATE
Call from BMW - car has been built!
Delivery is still as predicted :( Building it took just a week but getting to me from the factory takes a month...
Getting more excited...

Apparently the production line/lines are running at 100 i3s a day now. I suspect delivery times are going to drop, it takes time to ramp up and I suspect nowtta60 is correct about warranty issues etc. Mine has been into the shop far more than I would have liked.

FWIW, BMW said early last year as sales became higher than they had planned, that they ordered equipment to expand production (this takes time not only for the equipment, but for the building and training and suppliers to come up to speed), but also invested $100M USD at the carbon fiber factory to expand in Washington state, USA. That factory had the ability to double its output without additional facilities, and that helped almost immediately, the rest is for anticipated needs and new models and should be able to come online later this year.

The dealer where I bought mine has been selling a bit over one i3 a week, and usually has a few in stock. THey had a very good December where they sold something like 114 new BMWs and about 50 used cars, and, luckily for me, it's within walking distance, so since I don't always need a loaner, I can usually get in quicker if I do need something. Now, I wish they'd put in a CCS unit verses the level 2 units they do have, but that's another story. Since June 2014, my ICE hasn't seen more than about a half dozen trips and one of those was to the dealer for a recall.

Hurrah!! Mine has landed at the dealer, been prepped and is in storage awaiting delivery for the Registration plate change in March.
Ordered 10th October - Ready on 30th January so that makes it only 16 weeks, hopefully by now there will be fewer bugs than some of early build cars.

February is going to be a long month now! :)

Thread bump. My delivery date has moved forward from May 18th to the second week of April! Seems like the production ramp effect is actually having an effect on orders. One month less to wait has seriously made my week.

It looks like I will receive my i3 with the shortest lead time yet - 10 weeks.

I ordered the car 18th December, it has arrived at the dealer, and is booked for delivery to me 25th February.

I was fully expecting 6 months lead time when I placed the order. This car has now come so early that I am waiting for my current company car leasing company to confirm they will pick up my BMW 320d one month before the lease is officially due to finish (3rd April). If they play hardball and insist on full lease I may have to delay the delivery until then.

DJCeeJay said:
I ordered the car 18th December, it has arrived at the dealer, and is booked for delivery to me 25th February.

It appears to be luck of the draw. I ordered a couple of days before you and mine is still due in April.

It's not due to any special options either - mine is fairly lightly speced.

Just wanted to update others who are waiting:

- Ordered mid-December 2014
- Built end of January 2015
- Delivered to UK dealer early March
- Delivered to me mid-March :eek: :D

Latest posts

Back