Unpublished special lease offer!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiburonh

Hi all-

Those of you who have been on this forum for a while may remember me as the guy who earlier in the spring was whining about the lack of a sunroof, then about the lack of a white HOV sticker for the REX, and then about the poor lease programs. I eventually signed off from this forum and decided to get a new x5 diesel instead. Well, it's now some months later and I never did get the x5 (kept waiting for it's "hotness" to cool so prices would come down -- which still hasn't happened). And then I started seeing i3's on the road and then I test drove one again and fell in love all over again and then...... today I signed up to lease one. Went for a fully loaded (all except for the 20" wheels) Tera world BEV, which will be delivered next week.

The thing that finally pushed me over the edge to do the deal today is that I learned that there is some sort of semi-secret "early adopter" lease promotion going on right now that BMW is offering to dealers. In my case, I ended up going for the 24 month, 12k miles per year lease -- and the key benefit of this promotion to me was that is RAISES the residual for that lease up to 62%! Plus you still get the cap cost reduced by the $4,875 credit (as your share of the Federal tax credit) up front, along with whatever you can get knocked off the MSRP.

For me, this made the lease even cheaper than the two year Owner's Choice plan. And that's even after accounting for the fact that I don't get the full federal tax credit and that by doing a two year lease instead of three years, I will not be eligible for the California $2,500 rebate (I wanted to stick with two years just cause I expect the technology is going to change rapidly and the world of EV choices may look radically different in just a couple years.)

Anyway, there are at least two dealers offering this special in the Bay area. They both indicated they got allocated only a limited number of the "vouchers" for this deal, so they are likely to disappear fast. Make your move fast!

Good luck!

What's the rate?

I am opting to not take delivery of my Electronaut Edition i3 as I got used to driving my Model S and my wife won't garage her Roadster (as well as a few other things), but got my sister and her husband interested in the car. Their challenge was price, so if there's a deal that's better for them to go EV, I'd like to steer them to that.

Would love to see the EE that I configured go to a family member.

tiburonh said:
there are at least two dealers offering this special in the Bay area. They both indicated they got allocated only a limited number of the "vouchers" for this deal, so they are likely to disappear fast. Make your move fast!
What dealer in the Bay Area gave you this voucher?

Zzzoom3 said:
tiburonh said:
there are at least two dealers offering this special in the Bay area. They both indicated they got allocated only a limited number of the "vouchers" for this deal, so they are likely to disappear fast. Make your move fast!

Stevens Creek and the place I went with (which, out of respect for them, shall remain nameless for now) both had it. I only explored those two -- others may have it as well.

dennis said:
What's the rate?

I am opting to not take delivery of my Electronaut Edition i3 as I got used to driving my Model S and my wife won't garage her Roadster (as well as a few other things), but got my sister and her husband interested in the car. Their challenge was price, so if there's a deal that's better for them to go EV, I'd like to steer them to that.

Would love to see the EE that I configured go to a family member.

I can only say what it was for the two year, 12k miles per year lease.

The residual on that under this program jumps up to 62% the regular rate of 55%, while the buy rate money factor stays the same at .00125.

tiburonh said:
Zzzoom3 said:
tiburonh said:

Stevens Creek and the place I went with (which, out of respect for them, shall remain nameless for now) both had it. I only explored those two -- others may have it as well.
I just spoke to my CA about this. He claims those vouchers were advertised by email and only to people who participated in one of the driving events.

This is consistent with the other thread here titled, "BMW has $1,000 reasons to say “Thank you”. I take it you did not get one of these emails and were offered the incentive directly from the dealership right?

Why didn't I get a driving event invite? Not only am I a BMW Owner but I also applied for an Active E only to miss out due to not enough availability .. gosh :cry:

To Zzzoom3-

The program I benefited from on my deal today is totally separate from the driving event offer.

The driving event offer is a flat $1000 off the MSRP, funded directly by BMW, and the same whether you lease or purchase. And that offer was indeed conveyed by email directly to those selected by BMW. Who knows what selection criteria they used -- if it makes you feel any better, I attended the i3 driving events at three different dealers but did not get the email offer either :).

The program I benefited from goes through the dealers and applies only to leases. And its dollar impact can vary depending on what capital cost you settle on and what lease term you pick. Both dealers who offered it to me told me they had only a limited number of these vouchers to apply. What I don't know is whether or not BMW limited the number of dealers they extended this lease promotion to.

Hope this is somewhat clearer than mud.

I am also taking advantage of this offer in my area. Sealed the deal today as my REx arrived last Friday 8/1! I was sworn to secrecy :lol: but I can say the offer is definitely "limited" and valid on both leases and OC/OCwF ;).

Mike74jcw said:
I am also taking advantage of this offer in my area. Sealed the deal today as my REx arrived last Friday 8/1! I was sworn to secrecy :lol: but I can say the offer is definitely "limited" and valid on both leases and OC/OCwF ;).

Good for you!

The secrecy part of this program is a little weird, isn't it. And neither of the dealers I worked with mentioned the additional part of the secret that it can be used to increase the residual on the Owners Choice plans, not just the lease.

Just out of curiosity, I reran my numbers as if I had gone with OC (non-flex) under this program instead of going with the (2 year, 12K miles per year) lease. The difference in the OC monthly payment with the promotion vs that without the promotion is around $150 -- which is, interestingly, pretty much exactly the same as it was when the promotion was applied for me to a lease.

The OC payment is still about $280 more per month than my lease payment will be with this program -- but that would be more than offset by now being able to get the $7,500 tax credit.

I expect I will be calling my CA tomorrow to see if I can move from lease to OC!

tiburonh said:
Mike74jcw said:

Good for you!

The secrecy part of this program is a little weird, isn't it. And neither of the dealers I worked with mentioned the additional part of the secret that it can be used to increase the residual on the Owners Choice plans, not just the lease.

Just out of curiosity, I reran my numbers as if I had gone with OC (non-flex) under this program instead of going with the (2 year, 12K miles per year) lease. The difference in the OC monthly payment with the promotion vs that without the promotion is around $150 -- which is, interestingly, pretty much exactly the same as it was when the promotion was applied for me to a lease.

The OC payment is still about $280 more per month than my lease payment will be with this program -- but that would be more than offset by now being able to get the $7,500 tax credit.

I expect I will be calling my CA tomorrow to see if I can move from lease to OC!

Good deal! I am doing the OC w/ Flex option 60 months/12k per year as it makes my payment much lower than a lease.

Was this lease offer for a closed or open end lease? Just wonder if you might end up with owing on the vehicle if at the end of the lease the actual value of the car is less than the residual.

If they push the residual to 62% and only 24 months it should make the base car which is $499 plus tax for 36 on the site down to $437 a month for 24 with the $2999 cap.

Does that match what you guys are seeing?

When I was at Stevens Creek a couple weeks ago they had sixteen i3s. BMW has to do something to move these. There are now over 1,000 on US dealer lots. Must be frustrating for our European counterparts - they still have to wait...

bdcrane said:
Was this lease offer for a closed or open end lease? Just wonder if you might end up with owing on the vehicle if at the end of the lease the actual value of the car is less than the residual.

Not to worry - closed end lease. Not sure an open end lease is even legal any more (at least when the lease is to a consumer, not a business), but the BMW lease programs are (IMHO) always closed end only.

Mike74jcw said:

Mike - several people (including me, from multiple dealers) have been told that this voucher/residual bump can't be used with anything other than a lease. Is there any additional info you can provide about using it with OC/OCwF?

I got mine last week under this deal. 36 Month, 12K miles lease with 52% residual. I put $3280 down in order to buy the money factor down to equiv of 3%. I get $6850 cash back at end of lease. Payments $847 (pre tax). This is for fully loaded REX (only option I did NOT get was the bigger wheels). MSRP was $54,750 I think.

The promo increases residual by 7%. Dealership had only limited slots. I would prefer to not name the dealer, but it was in SF Bay Area. Buyers about to take delivery should inquire.

i3atl said:
Mike74jcw said:

Mike - several people (including me, from multiple dealers) have been told that this voucher/residual bump can't be used with anything other than a lease. Is there any additional info you can provide about using it with OC/OCwF?

I was able to do it here in Virginia with the OCwF, 12k miles/yr, 60 months. My dealer claimed to have only one "voucher". The residual went from 27% to 34% in my case....~$3,600 higher based on the MSRP of my REx. As far as I know it worked as I took delivery last Monday and have 156 miles on the car!

Mike74jcw said:
i3atl said:
Mike74jcw said:

I was able to do it here in Virginia with the OCwF, 12k miles/yr, 60 months. My dealer claimed to have only one "voucher". The residual went from 27% to 34% in my case....~$3,600 higher based on the MSRP of my REx. As far as I know it worked as I took delivery last Monday and have 156 miles on the car!

Thanks Mike - that's helpful. My dealer was planning to use it on a 24 month OCwF, but he saw the "only 36 months" posts online and is going to call tomorrow to verify.

Does anyone know if this is still in effect?

I went to my local dealer yesterday (9/3) and eventually found out the residual would be 52% for 36mo. But the guy was so confused re: lease vs owners choice vs oc w/ flex that I cannot really tell if he was quoting me the right thing.

Back