Update on KLE replacement problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noakey said:
UK here... nope not yet... still on reduced charge hmph.
Since it has gotten colder here in New Hampshire, USA, my i3 has been charging at full rate, and yes, it does have the s/w to limit it if it is warm out.

It appears some of the newest cars either have the new KLE in them, and those arriving at the ports in the USA are getting them before they are released to the dealers and then the customers. They appear to be recalling vehicles in Canada and replacing them based on reports of some posters, but not yet in the USA. They had indicated early 2015...should be fine before it warms up again later next year. I put a meter on my EVSE, and am regularly getting nearly 30A draw on my 30A EVSE while charging...no reduction at all. I didn't install that meter before it got cold, though, so I can't compare the charge rate I was using late summer/early fall before it got cold after the s/w update was applied.

With the colder temperatures, people driving the same route as before the software changes, might notice it taking longer when in reality, all it is is that the cold temperatures required more power out of the battery, and that's what's causing it to take a bit longer to recharge, not that the rate is lower.

jadnashuanh said:
noakey said:
UK here... nope not yet... still on reduced charge hmph.
Since it has gotten colder here in New Hampshire, USA, my i3 has been charging at full rate, and yes, it does have the s/w to limit it if it is warm out.

It appears some of the newest cars either have the new KLE in them, and those arriving at the ports in the USA are getting them before they are released to the dealers and then the customers. They appear to be recalling vehicles in Canada and replacing them based on reports of some posters, but not yet in the USA. They had indicated early 2015...should be fine before it warms up again later next year. I put a meter on my EVSE, and am regularly getting nearly 30A draw on my 30A EVSE while charging...no reduction at all. I didn't install that meter before it got cold, though, so I can't compare the charge rate I was using late summer/early fall before it got cold after the s/w update was applied.

With the colder temperatures, people driving the same route as before the software changes, might notice it taking longer when in reality, all it is is that the cold temperatures required more power out of the battery, and that's what's causing it to take a bit longer to recharge, not that the rate is lower.

Hi there.. what is cold there? UK has been down to 32F this week but still only get 5.24kw. Thanks.

noakey said:
Hi there.. what is cold there? UK has been down to 32F this week but still only get 5.24kw. Thanks.
We've seen some temperatures in the teens (F), but this time of year, it bounces all over the place...might be 7F one day, and reach 50F the next. Typical New England weather...wait, and it will change. We are in the somewhat unique situation where the prevailing westerly storms bring things in across the US, then the other prevailing path is up the coast, but sometimes, they come down from Canada and often fight it out right over the top of us. It's a really hard place to predict the weather, and 10-miles can mean the difference between a nice sunny day and a foot of snow falling.

My volt/amp meter typically is reading in the order of 245vac/29A, give or take a little. I have no idea how accurate it is, but I think it is close (I don't have an ammeter I can compare it to, the volts is pretty close).

jadnashuanh said:
noakey said:
We've seen some temperatures in the teens (F), but this time of year, it bounces all over the place...might be 7F one day, and reach 50F the next. Typical New England weather...wait, and it will change. We are in the somewhat unique situation where the prevailing westerly storms bring things in across the US, then the other prevailing path is up the coast, but sometimes, they come down from Canada and often fight it out right over the top of us. It's a really hard place to predict the weather, and 10-miles can mean the difference between a nice sunny day and a foot of snow falling.

My volt/amp meter typically is reading in the order of 245vac/29A, give or take a little. I have no idea how accurate it is, but I think it is close (I don't have an ammeter I can compare it to, the volts is pretty close).

Wow you get quite a temp swing.. and much more interesting weather than here in the UK.

I'm confused. . . . .

Back on September 30, Tom Moloughney posted the following: "I had the new KLE installed a few weeks ago and the latest software 07-505 which restores the charge rate fact to its full 7.4kW." Consistent with this, jelloslug posted the following on December 11: "Ask for the integration level of the car. If it is 07-503 than it does not have the new KLE, if it's 07-505 or higher it has the new software (and the new KLE)."

I read a post yesterday by jelloslug saying "With the new software coming available soon many people would like to know at what software level there car is currently at. Here is how you can find it yourself: export your personal profile onto a USB drive and then open the profile on your computer with a text editor or internet browser. It will be listed as <i-step>(your software version)</i-step>"

So I followed jelloslug's instructions, and found this line in my profile: "<i-step>I001-14-07-505</i-step>", which seems to say I've got the 07-505 software. But I haven't received the new KLE yet and I'm still charging at the reduced rate (about 5.2 kW). Can someone clear up my confusion?

pdurham said:
I'm confused. . . . .

Back on September 30, Tom Moloughney posted the following: "I had the new KLE installed a few weeks ago and the latest software 07-505 which restores the charge rate fact to its full 7.4kW." Consistent with this, jelloslug posted the following on December 11: "Ask for the integration level of the car. If it is 07-503 than it does not have the new KLE, if it's 07-505 or higher it has the new software (and the new KLE)."

I read a post yesterday by jelloslug saying "With the new software coming available soon many people would like to know at what software level there car is currently at. Here is how you can find it yourself: export your personal profile onto a USB drive and then open the profile on your computer with a text editor or internet browser. It will be listed as <i-step>(your software version)</i-step>"

So I followed jelloslug's instructions, and found this line in my profile: "<i-step>I001-14-07-505</i-step>", which seems to say I've got the 07-505 software. But I haven't received the new KLE yet and I'm still charging at the reduced rate (about 5.2 kW). Can someone clear up my confusion?
Is your car set to charge at the maximum rate? What kind of EVSE are you using and how are you checking your current draw?

pdurham said:
I'm confused. . . . .

Having the 505 software does not guarantee (or even suggest) that you have the updated KLE, but the updated KLE requires the updated software in order to charge at the higher rate.

Thanks jelloslug and i3atl! I think my experience confirms i3atl's advice that "having the 505 software does not guarantee (or even suggest) that you have the updated KLE" because I know I don't. Again, thanks!

They're probably moot now, but to answer jelloslug's earlier questions, I'm using a BMW Wallbox as well as public charging stations and my charging rate is set to maximum. I got the kW readout from a couple public stations as I don't have the capability to measure kW at home, but at home I can measure the amperage. It runs just below 25 amps, indicating (to me at least) that I'm charging at a reduced rate (vs. the 30 to 32 amps that I should see once the new KLE is installed).

Hi all - update - I have just has the new KLE and software update. Pleased to say all working well and cha. Haven't seen 7kw on my home monitor but not sure it is accurate. Definitely getting much more than before.. and charge around 3.5 hours..

Software was at I001-14-07-505 before now at I001-14-11-502

I just installed the new KLE on a customer's car on Tuesday. All went well. From a charge level of about 10% to fully charged took about 3.5 hours. Gotta do the parts manager's car on Friday and then mine and two other tech's cars next week. If there are no unexpected problems it's about a half a day job from start to finish.

Has anyone in the US received a notice from BMW (dealer or NA) about the KLE?

I heard a notice was going out on Dec 22nd and several people report having had their KLE replaced. I'm curious who initiated the contact, customer or BMW.

Just today I arranged to have my KLE "fix" taken care of by my dealer on January 12. I recommend you call your dealer rather than waiting for a notification from BMWNA.

To second Vinnie on this repair from a tech's perspective, the KLE replacement itself only takes a few hours to complete(assuming the dealer has done one before, first one always takes longer). After that it is just waiting for programming(usually 1-3 hours). So if they get it right in and start on it, plan on same-day turnaround.

Knowing the dealers and how things go, safe bet is to plan on next day turnaround at least XD

Will all i3s built before Sept. have the KLE replaced? I took delivery in May and have not had any problems, or at least no failures related to charging. I did recently go in for the s/w service update but that's all that was done. Charge times at my local L2 free charger seem to be in line with what they were previously.

Has anybody without known problems been contacted by their dealer for KLE replacement?

No contact from my dealer, but when I contacted them they acknowledged there was a recall on the KLE. Apparently it's a "stealth" recall because neither BMW NA or the dealer has ever contacted me; they didn't even tell me that the software update to fix the air conditioner last summer also lowered the charge rate.

Without this forum, and Tom's excellent updates, we would be totally in the dark. But they have no problem processing my lease payments.

In any case they scheduled my KLE replacement for a month from now because they said they had so many recalls that they wouldn't have a loaner car until January 29th!

The production line and supply chain is only so deep and wide...eventually, everyone will be notified. It's bad business to alert everyone and get their hopes up when they can't deliver the parts fast enough to make it happen in a timely manner. The real goal (IMHO), is to get everyone up to snuff before the summer months crop up and the heat related issues could make things get ugly. In the interim, they're contacting people as their dealers are getting parts and the wait isn't huge to get things done.

Latest posts

Back