Update on KLE replacement problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all (y'all) for the KLE info.
Just learned from the Concierge our i3 (purchased Dec. 5) needs the update.
Scheduling with service dept. asap.

My dealer's service staff continues to deny that this KLE upgrade or the associated Service Action exists. Should I call the i3 Concierge and see if I can get some response?

I wasn't concerned about the reduced charge rate initially but now that I have a Level 2 charger at home it would be really nice to have that 30% faster charge rate. I've found that my range is much worse with the extremely cold temperatures we're experiencing. I saw the expected 10% range penalty once temperatures went under 40-50F but I've found that there's another 10-15% decrease when temperatures are below 20F. Preconditioning in the morning gives me decent range for the start of my commute but I can't connect to power at my work so the return trip is brutal. I should have taken a picture of the dash readout but one day leaving work the temperature was -5F and I had just under three quarters of a charge indicated (73% according to the i3 app) with a range estimate of only 24 miles. After driving for only 6 miles my indicated range was down to 15. I averaged just 2.1 miles/Kwh over 250 miles of city driving in EcoPro while the average temp was below 10F. I can't imagine how bad that number would be if I hadn't preconditioned every morning.

I'm starting to regret not buying the REX at this point, I think BMW needs to be a little more upfront with buyers about cold weather performance.

I called bmw austin and scheduled...they have my i3 today...fingers crossed...when I scheduled they said would just be a couple of hours, but when I arrived today they said it might be more than that so they gave me a loaner.

I experienced an unsuccessful attempt to replace the KLE, though I don't think it was my dealer's fault (BMW Tucson). I made an appointment for the work and delivered the car as planned. Later that morning, the service rep called to say that when they opened the box the new KLE had been shipped in, it had obviously been damaged in shipment. I picked up my unrepaired car and am now waiting for a call to reschedule.

I had my car's KLE done in mid-Dec. Dropped of at 8:30. When I returned at 16:30, I still had to wait for a while before it was ready.

Besides they wiped out all the programming buttons, there was no issues. [I now have profiles back up to USB.]

After the upgrade, I can see from Chargepoint's app, the charge rate would go to very close to 6 KW. I have not seen rate about 6KW. That said, most the EVSEs that I visited are rated at 6.6KW. With 10% overhead. 6KW is probably that most the EVSE can deliver.

As for service loaner, NO my dealer won't give me a service loaner.

KMP647 said:
I would like to see a charge rate above 7kw, I have a clipper creek HCS 40 with a 32amp pilot signal so I should see the full rate.

I may use a clamp on ammeter and report here after my kle

currently my peak rate reported by chargepoint was 5.9kw
I have the same EVSE, and have been regularly seeing around 7Kw both before and after, but, as noted in another thread, I dont' drive it far, and the temperatures here are colder than typical in VA. Assuming my meter is relatively accurate, I typically see 245vac*29A (give or take a little) which using P=IE=7.1Kw.

Woohoo, just got a call from the service manager that they would have to order the charger and they will have my car at least another day. Of course the recall necessitated they replace the charger and should have been there waiting for me as i made the appt over a week ago. At least they gave me a loaner, but am underwhelmed with my first ever bmw service encounter...maybe i expected too much from them.

As I understand it (and my experience from last week was similar), until the KLE's are readily available in excess quantities, BMWUSA won't allow the dealer to actually order a KLE to sit in stock...the car must be sitting in service bay and then they can overnight one. You might find one sitting around if say someone cancelled an appointment or some other non-normal situation occurred, but I too was told they'd try to order one for it to be available when I dropped off the car, but it didn't happen. I don't think it's all a dealer thing, as, with most other things, the dealer can order stuff in advance...this is essentially a 100% campaign to replace that module while trying to keep production up, so the modules are not coming in with any overstock. People here are aware of it, but most won't be, and would wait for BMW to call them to say they should bring in their vehicle...under those circumstances, one would have been allocated to that vehicle, and would likely be available for immediate installation for that customer. WHen you try to push the envelope, seems you may have to wait a little longer.

Just seems funny that when i called to schedule the appt and dropped the car off today, they said it would be ready today...obviously there was no chance of that.....maybe this is so new the service managers arent up to speed yet?

Have you guys noticed an increase in range. The software update for the KLE was also the first of 2 phases of changing how the car estimates available mileage. I know it's been cold and we are are struggling but I personally have seen about a 10% increase in estimated range. They didn't change anything to make the car more efficient. They are just less conservative in there estimated numbers. The second phase of the software should be available around March. And addressing the KLE supply issue. It doesn't matter if the part is in low supply. A dealer can order any part at any time no matter of supply constraints. There are exceptions such as parts that have to be specifically released by BMW but there is no reason they couldn't order a KLE for you so it's there for your appointment. All it really is, is a combination of not knowing and laziness. And if your service advisor tells you that story it's more laziness.

I don't know what the official latest software is, but you can check on your version by putting a USB drive in the car and exporting your profile. Look at the exported file (its an XML document, though is doesn't have an XML extension). The software version is listed in the <i-step>(your software version)</i-step> tag.

Note that you have to open the profile file in a text editor to see this, but the tag is not encrypted.

Jeffj is correct on how to check the software level. It's not really a BMW approved method but it works. Off the top of my head I forget what the latest is but I believe it ends in 504 but I could be wrong. I can look tommorow. Just shoot me a pm so I don't forget.

KMP647. Ask the service advisor exactly what measurements need to be taken. I just took another one out today (that makes 8 for me) and I have never once even hooked up the diagnostic machine to the vehicle before I started the job. And don't let him tell you that they have to use a Volt meter. There are only certain BMW NA employees who are certified to take measurements on live high voltage components. Hearing stuff like that just gets me agrivated. People spend good money on these cars and deserve a quality service experience. I work my butt off to make sure I do a good job. Meanwhile people will spin webs of lies instead of taking 3 minutes to do something right and call the parts dept and order the part on an appointment.

Just finished the second full day of the dealer having my car and it looks as though I may get her back tomorrow. The service manager said the new charger has been installed and I could actually monitor the charging on my i-remote app, I can't believe it's actually good for something...does seem to be charging more quickly. Was using the map aspect of i remote to follow her around but no longer working...guess something in the process messed up the gps..also asked to see if 2015 maps could be installed..was told it's not available yet...
More to follow

The default visibility setting after the reprogramming (like from the factory) is to have gps positioning visibility to off...

If you haven't checked, depending on the date of manufacture, you may be able to update the phone and entertainment programming. Once you download the .bin file, it takes all of a couple of minutes to install it via a usb drive. I did it this week on mine built in April 2014. The BMWUSA website has the link - you'll need the last part of your VIN to ensure the proper file.

I scheduled my KLE appointment 2 weeks ago and was told it would be 4 hour appointment. After BMW had my car all day I called the advisor and was told it would be 4 days not hours.

I was also told the KLE fix should also resolve the ccs plug issue I have had with it not locking to vehicle to start a charge. No one has been able to tell me the root of that problem since it started over a month ago. I was not offered a loaner vehicle, but I am hoping to get my car back tomorrow since I am leaving town, otherwise I will ask to get a loaner.

Unfortunately I can not get numbers out of my EVESE at the moment, but I do suspect I have reduced charging rate. The car was produced in November and hence with the new KLE, but I am not sure the software supports 32amp charging.

My SW is I001-14-11-502. Does this SW version support 32amp charging? Thx.

Back