UPSTATE NY and NEW ENGLAND: Winter and Fast DC Charge Points

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

I'd like to hear from other upstate NY and New England i3 drivers, particularly about winter operation experiences and of course, report any progress on getting Fast Charge DC Stations installed on major/Toll routes, such as the NYS Thruway, Mass Pike, NH and Maine Turnpikes.

On the second point, I have written the NYS Thruway and they claim that "plans are under consideration" for adding DC charge stations to their "fuel and rest areas"; heck, I even reminded them that thy might make some money on them. The state Energy and Research Development Authority (NYSERDA) and the Power Authority continue to install Level 2 stations at places like airports, but don't seem to have grasped the import of fast charging on their major highway routes.

I'd welcome hearing from and passing along regional concerns to NYS operations and would be glad to refer them to other states as well.

Tried pre-conditioning this week....

What luxury to step into a warmed car, even though our temps were only about 35. I set my departure time through the iPhone app and it worked like a charm. Haven't tried my seat heater yet, but frankly, would prefer a warmed steering wheel--much more tactile and appreciated, and undoubtedly more energy efficient.

I'd like to know more about the pre-conditioning process (and how it warms the batteries as well). Is it resistance heating? The BEV has a heat pump, but the Rex process is not specified.

Dealer has my clunky looking $1645 snows/wheels, service appt (to include reset of CEL) is set for next Wednesday.

BUMWA said:
Tried pre-conditioning this week....

What luxury to step into a warmed car, even though our temps were only about 35. I set my departure time through the iPhone app and it worked like a charm. Haven't tried my seat heater yet, but frankly, would prefer a warmed steering wheel--much more tactile and appreciated, and undoubtedly more energy efficient.

I'd like to know more about the pre-conditioning process (and how it warms the batteries as well). Is it resistance heating? The BEV has a heat pump, but the Rex process is not specified.

Dealer has my clunky looking $1645 snows/wheels, service appt (to include reset of CEL) is set for next Wednesday.

The Rex has a smaller heat pump than the BEV because of the space taken up by the Gas tank. In the Rex the heat pump heats or cools the batteries and a resistance heater is used for heating. Not totally sure about cabin cooling, but I suspect the same heat pump that cools the batteries do the cabin even in the Rex.

Has anyone else noticed the increased tire noise from the winter Bridgestones? It seems that when running over grainy surfaces, the frunk acts like a drum, magnifying the sound coming from the front tires...that ceases the minute you get back on smooth surface. It could be a harmonic distortion thing but whatever it is, if you hit a long patch of packed down, icy crud on the travel lanes, you'll find the radio nearly drubbed out by the reverberation from the front wheels.

BTW Off Topic: I am VERY impressed by snow handling. Those motorcycle tires do the trick.

17959676-md.jpg

Back