US - Bosch Home Installation Issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl2965

I just wanted to report how terribly frustrating my "concierge" service with Bosch installation went.

To start, there was a little issue with the dealership not collecting or having me pay for the charger when I closed on the car. I was told that Bosch would care for it all. A ticket was opened with Bosch, Bosch contacted me and the electrician came out for an estimate. After about a week, I finally get the estimate in my inbox. Keep in mind, I think I spoke to someone at Bosch once and every time I called back my personal "concierge" person it went to voicemail and I was never able to talk to anyone...except e-mail and voicemails. Now, because I was told that Bosch would collect the money for the charger, I thought that the estimate that came over for $980 that said "Time and Materials" included the charger and installation. I actually thought the dealership had worked out a deal because of a different issue.

So, come the day of the installation, the electrician gets here and asks "where is the charger?". I said, I have no clue, you don't have it? He then called Bosch, Bosch said that it was delivered to the dealership by mistake. I thought, "Oh, ok, good". When I contact the dealership, I was told that they didn't get one in, but they have one in stock and he asked, but you haven't paid for it yet? This is the first time that there was any inclination that I actually needed to pay the dealership for it beyond what came over in the estimate, which I did pay for.

In any case, once I figured out that and figured out that there was a huge miscommunication between Bosch, the electrician, the dealership and myself, I realized how expensive that quote for installation actually was, especially since I already had a lower amp Volt charger in my garage and the walls were open to where they just needed to remove the 20 amp wire with 40 amp and a new breaker...not to mention the large breaker box is within 20 ft of the current charger, which is where the new one was getting installed. In my approximation, the price is about $400 to $450 too much. I could understand paying for the "concierge" service as well, but not for $400 to $450 and not given the amount of headache and miscommunication that was there. When I brought this all to Bosch's attention, all they said is "that is the average price of a installation." To which I said, "I am guessing the average installation does not already have a charger installed." I then proceeded to ask for my $980 back and put it towards the charger itself instead of the installations. I can get the installations much cheaper and for less hassle.

In short, I do not recommend going through Bosch for any of this. My opinion is that this is far from a "concierge" service and is priced much higher than it should be for the service. Additionally, while they said they would look at the "process" they made no attempt to even lower the price due to the confusion and the headache it has caused me. Be very wary, if you do go with Bosch.

FWIW, I bought a Clipper Creek unit for about $600 US delivered. I had the electrician do a bunch more than just install the EVSE and he was here all day, but the time it actually took to install the EVSE was maybe 2-hours, so about $150 plus materials (the wire is not cheap!). The BMW device is stylish, but the Clipper Creek unit works just as well for a lot less. I do not have proof, but was told the guts of the 120vac EVSE that comes with the i3 in the USA has guts from Clipper Creek. May or may not be true, but Made in the USA is a good selling point, too for the Clipper Creek stuff.

I had a fantastic experience with Bosch.

My dealer got me in touch with a concierge (Jeremy, I think), who was very thorough about who paid for what and where the charger came from. So thorough, in fact, that I decided to buy a Bosch charger instead of the overpriced BMW one. He then made the arrangements for a local authorized electrician to come out and do an inspection. The electrician called me ahead of time to ask a few questions. While I'd never had a previous charger installed, I'm a quick learn and could easily tell him all the info he needed to know to let him avoid an unneeded trip over here. I sent him pictures and various other details as a followup.

The electrician and I then waited for the Bosch unit to be shipped to them, and when it arrived the electrician did the following over three visits:

1) Came down and filed for a permit with the city.
2) Came down a second time after receiving the permit to install the unit.
3) Came down a third time to review the install with the city inspector to make sure it passed code.

This all was well worth the cost of the install. It's to code, it was done well, and there's now a multi-year warranty on the work done covered by both Bosch and the electrician.

I could not have been more happy with both how thorough the Bosch guy was, and how nice the electrician was.

I purchased a Bosch EL-51253 30 amp unit from Amazon for $567.05 (free shipping). I then had an electrician do the install with 85 feet of #8 wire and 40 amp breaker for $392 for a total of $959. The quote from Bosch was over $2,600.

Lola said:
I purchased a Bosch EL-51253 30 amp unit from Amazon for $567.05 (free shipping). I then had an electrician do the install with 85 feet of #8 wire and 40 amp breaker for $392 for a total of $959. The quote from Bosch was over $2,600.

I ordered this same charger from Amazon on Saturday! Got it for $554 total including Virginia sales tax, free shipping from Amazon, and using a $50 gift card that I had lying around the house. An electrician friend that I know is going to help me with installation as soon as the charger gets here.

Back