US owners, did you get get a first aid and safety kit?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelloslug

The owners manual talked about a first aid kit and safety triangle included in a trunk. I see where the triangle should be mounted but nothing is there.

jelloslug said:
The owners manual talked about a first aid kit and safety triangle included in a trunk. I see where the triangle should be mounted but nothing is there.

My experience on prior German cars (BMW, Mercedes, and Audi) has been that they are required to include the triangle in cars sold in Europe, but since there is no such requirement in the US they do not --- though they will gladly sell you one at the parts counter :)

jelloslug said:

In the UK we have a triangle and first aid kit. Hmm

tiburonh said:
jelloslug said:

My experience on prior German cars (BMW, Mercedes, and Audi) has been that they are required to include the triangle in cars sold in Europe, but since there is no such requirement in the US they do not --- though they will gladly sell you one at the parts counter :)

Yep, I believe the manual is not region-specific, so the variances (and there are a lot) between the countries is not spelled out. All my BMWs (3 & 5s, Z4s, i3) did not come
with Triangles/First Aid Kit in U.S.

I did European delivery of an M5 a couple of years ago. Car came with the triangle and first aid kit in the trunk. The Welt delivery people advised us to remove those items and bring them home in luggage because, otherwise, BMW WOULD REMOVE THE ITEMS PRIOR TO SHIPPING. So, from that, I think it is fair to say that it is normal to NOT get those items in a US spec car.

In my experience all of the European brands have stopped including those items in US spec vehicles. For what it's worth, the Touareg I traded in for the i3 had the green cross badge on the storage compartment which indicated where the kit should have been but nothing was there. The reason is probably equal parts cost and liability concerns. In the past decade or so the first aid kits at the office have been reduced to essentially just bandages out of fear that someone with an allergy would be inadvertently treated and then sue. Same reasons you can't get an aspirin on US airlines anymore.

They include them in Euro delivery (not available to US customers on the i3), but not for vehicles sold in the USA. As another said, I got a set of them, but took them home in my luggage, essentially, because it would have been illegal to drive it in Europe without them!

There are lots of little things that vary on vehicles delivered in different markets. Some of them are determined by local laws, some are local preferences. For what we pay for the i3 in the USA verses most other places, if you really want them, buy them, and the price will still be WAY below what most others will have paid.

At 3%, we have some of the lowest import duties of any country in the world.

Back