US version to enable manual engagement of REx?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronroman

I have read many posts here regarding the desire of US i3 REx owners to manually engage the REx earlier than the automatic setting. I just read an article on ConsumerReports.org that seems to indicate BMW is going to modify the system to allow this in the Spring of 2015. Has anyone seen this info elsewhere? I like see some confirmation of this report.

The article mentions the dramatic lack of power when the battery is low and then states:
"BMW spokesman, Matthew Russell, said that an enhancement is coming in spring 2015 that will address our concern. It will include a battery state-of-charge indicator, an early alert prior to potentially experiencing a temporary loss of power, and a proactive boosting of the battery level based on the car’s navigation prior to encountering hilly terrain. This enhancement will also be available as a retrofit for existing i3 owners."

The full article is at:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/bmw-i3-has-the-little-engine-that-could/index.htm

From Manny Antunes (a BMWi Certified Client Advisor) on the Facebook page:

BMW Certification training UPDATES:
Ok everyone. Here's some of the info I am allowed to share.
First off, there will be a software update coming prior to the end of Q1 2015 that will be standard on all 2015 model year (January SOP) that WILL be retro-programmed to all existing i3 owners that will bring some welcome feature set. Most importantly being SOC meter to the main info cluster. The other will be that the charge port will unlock the J1772 and SAE DCFC nozzles once the car is completely charged. There are some other minor tweaks besides these programming bits but the biggest will be how the REx will engage prior to a large sustained climb, I can't elaborate but REx owners will love it.
Another newsworthy note about the 2015 model year i3 is that there will NOT be a Moonroof available. However, DCFC will be standard. This is a sign of things to come from BMWs infrastructure side.
The key will be updated to operate the rear trunk as opposed to opening the Frunk.
There is HUGE infrastructure news from BMWI that will be out shortly, I'm not allowed to elaborate but North Easteners and Cali customers will be happy!
We touched briefly on Alternate Mobility but final details are still pending.
So the bottom line is this, no need to wait for 2015 Model year because you're hoping for the sunroof or any other magical unicorn dust, go out and buy the i3 now while these incentives are in place. This is the best time of the year to buy and you should definitely take advantage.
Hope this helps some of you make a decision. Cheers everyone!
Manny Antunes
BMWi Certified Client advisor.

ultraturtle said:
From Manny Antunes (a BMWi Certified Client Advisor) on the Facebook page:

BMW Certification training UPDATES:
Ok everyone. Here's some of the info I am allowed to share.
First off, there will be a software update coming prior to the end of Q1 2015 that will be standard on all 2015 model year (January SOP) that WILL be retro-programmed to all existing i3 owners that will bring some welcome feature set. Most importantly being SOC meter to the main info cluster. The other will be that the charge port will unlock the J1772 and SAE DCFC nozzles once the car is completely charged. There are some other minor tweaks besides these programming bits but the biggest will be how the REx will engage prior to a large sustained climb, I can't elaborate but REx owners will love it.
Another newsworthy note about the 2015 model year i3 is that there will NOT be a Moonroof available. However, DCFC will be standard. This is a sign of things to come from BMWs infrastructure side.
The key will be updated to operate the rear trunk as opposed to opening the Frunk.
There is HUGE infrastructure news from BMWI that will be out shortly, I'm not allowed to elaborate but North Easteners and Cali customers will be happy!
We touched briefly on Alternate Mobility but final details are still pending.
So the bottom line is this, no need to wait for 2015 Model year because you're hoping for the sunroof or any other magical unicorn dust, go out and buy the i3 now while these incentives are in place. This is the best time of the year to buy and you should definitely take advantage.
Hope this helps some of you make a decision. Cheers everyone!
Manny Antunes
BMWi Certified Client advisor.

Another joke from BMW on how to screw your customers. The Rex will engage early only if you use the navigation system and it says you will need it for you intended route. What a fucking bad joke adding insult to injury in my opinion.

This system needs to b e user assessable to no CARB state owners who get no benefit from CARB period. I am getting tired of the BS that we get from the greater good society BS. It is time we get what we paid for BMW wake up, how many of your customers live in the non CARB states.

mindmachine said:
Another joke from BMW on how to screw your customers. The Rex will engage early only if you use the navigation system and it says you will need it for you intended route. What a fucking bad joke adding insult to injury in my opinion.

This system needs to b e user assessable to no CARB state owners who get no benefit from CARB period. I am getting tired of the BS that we get from the greater good society BS. It is time we get what we paid for BMW wake up, how many of your customers live in the non CARB states.
How hard is it to engage the nav? If it is required to get to where you want in the manner you want, even if you ignore it's prompts.

mindmachine said:
This system needs to be user assessable to no CARB state owners who get no benefit from CARB period.
Any North American owner can enable the REx "hold charge" function (i.e. start the REx system below 75% SOC) if they are willing to spend an hour or so wading through some arcane software, $20 on an interface cable, and $30 to share a token.

See https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/719389491468248/

Has any organization filed a FOI request of the meetings, correspondence and negotiations between BMW and CARB? I wonder how they arrived at 6.5% SOC as the turn-on point of the REx, was it a take it or leave it on the part of CARB or did they arrive there as part of a debate/negotiation? A 25% SOC turn-on option would still seem to give from 35 to 50 miles of pure electric operation, surely this is enough?

ultraturtle said:
mindmachine said:
This system needs to be user assessable to no CARB state owners who get no benefit from CARB period.
Any North American owner can enable the REx "hold charge" function (i.e. start the REx system below 75% SOC) if they are willing to spend an hour or so wading through some arcane software, $20 on an interface cable, and $30 to share a token.

Can this change be read by a service tech if I take it in for service? If so, will this affect my warranty? Also, the smog check is a reading of the codes and other emission related data, will this cause it to fail?

I love the idea of being able to have full control of the REX, but do not really feel like doing it myself, shouldn't a good BMW tuning shop be able to do this too?

WoodlandHills said:
Can this change be read by a service tech if I take it in for service?
Probably.

WoodlandHills said:
If so, will this affect my warranty?
No. You are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that a user modification caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. The process in the Facebook link simply changes a setting that BMW has enabled for vehicles sold outside of North America.

WoodlandHills said:
I love the idea of being able to have full control of the REX, but do not really feel like doing it myself, shouldn't a good BMW tuning shop be able to do this too?
They should. It's not difficult. There's already a guy working to fit the solution on a USB thumb drive that he'd like to sell for $150.

jadnashuanh said:
mindmachine said:

How hard is it to engage the nav? If it is required to get to where you want in the manner you want, even if you ignore it's prompts.

l will repeat we got screwed by this CARB bull s.it, i rarely need the navigation system, as I drive in the same areas most of the time and using the dam navigation system to over come a loss of functionality I paid for is bull crap. Those of us in non CARB states deserve full functionality of what we bought or BMW owes us a partial refund for that loss of function. The band-aid that is currently being touted is too little and a second bad joke.

It's the same story corporate greed, BMW should have been happy with a PHEV rating for the Rex in California,ect, instead of fleecing the rest of it's US customers in the non CARB states!

ultraturtle said:
mindmachine said:

Really?
I read the document and it makes NO mention of this.
The point at which the REx comes on is not the same thing.

Surge said:
ultraturtle said:
mindmachine said:

Really?
I read the document and it makes NO mention of this.
The point at which the REx comes on is not the same thing.

The Facebook blog item tells you how to code the Rex for manual engagement (just like in the UK version), the consumer reports article is about what BMW is going to do to fix it and it is a bunch of shit. They (BMW) is going to modify the nav function so that the car will know if it needs to engage the Rex early due to the route you programmed. So if you want to use the Rex early you need to use the navigation system every time you use the dam car weather or not you know where you are going anyway. And then there is the actual implementation of this new big fix they are giving us. How well it actually works is still to be seen. Give us non CARB owners the ability to engage the Rex at will as needed just like what WE PAID OUR HARD EARNED MONEY FOR!!!!! OH I forgot and as originally advertised. I don't expect to have to code my own car and recode it every time BMW comes out with a new software update that I have to have them install and then go home and recode my Rex setting. This is a bunch of totally unacceptable bullshit.

Sure I can do this, I am a engineer and it does not scare me either, but the OBD2 connector discussion in the owners manual says not owner usable, BMW has set the stage to revoke you warranty if you program your own vehicle.

I wonder what mindmachine's next series of rants will be about?

This is a bit over the top mate, spamming threads with your petulant rants and swearing. How about you make a single thread for it so it is easily avoided by those who like civil discussion?

Completely agree. This is tiresome. And inaccurate. As I recall, US-market Rex behavior was known and discussed here well before the vehicles went on sale. It's also worth saying again that absent CARB rules, there would be no BMW i sub-brand in general and no i3 in particular. Rather than ranting about CARB states here, you probably should be asking your legislature why they're behind the times.

If one really prefers an i3 with the European specs...one could move there. Lots of things we have here differ from what is supplied elsewhere. It is what it is for better or worse.

It seems that BMW is trying to walk that narrow path to keep the CARB happy, but provide closer to the functionality of that available elsewhere on the i3. I still stay, the i3 REx is not, nor ever will be, or operate as a replacement for an ICE if long distance (more than typical city commuting task for which it was designed) is your intended use. You have to stop to refuel it, and it is primarily an electric vehicle, and that means plugging it in in its current implementation. Yes, if you understand the limitations, and your route doesn't create issues, you can drive the thing longer distances, but it takes some planning. The fact that you can extend useful range with the motor, but it has limitations is a bonus, but not a replacement for an ICE vehicle that can power the vehicle just fine until the gasoline runs out. If you want that, buy something like a Volt, or other hybrid. The i8 works in that manner, too. The i3 has 34Hp, the i8 has over 200...it can supply both motive power and has enough left over to recharge the batteries...the i3's REx can't even keep up under stressful conditions. Even on the Volt, it has nearly 3x the gasoline powered engine than the REx...guess what, it can keep moving and recharge the batteries under most conditions.

Fact, the i3 can't keep up with the REx running if you're stressing the system with high speed, especially if climbing a mountain grade. Throw in the lights, heater, maybe seat heaters, and charging your phone(s) or playing games, and who knows how long the batteries can keep up.

Understand the limitations, and either accept them, or sell the thing. The tweak keeps the government happy along with giving you greater functionality. The fact that it may take an extra minute or so to get it to do that is the price of entry in NA. Or, tweak it via recoding the thing on your own. Once you have that figured out (the learning curve can be steep), redoing it, if required, is fast.

stumbledotcom said:
Completely agree. This is tiresome. And inaccurate. As I recall, US-market Rex behavior was known and discussed here well before the vehicles went on sale. It's also worth saying again that absent CARB rules, there would be no BMW i sub-brand in general and no i3 in particular. Rather than ranting about CARB states here, you probably should be asking your legislature why they're behind the times.

You keep it going by responding, I have my point of view and so do you. I agree it is tiresome having BMW continue to try and do something other than the right thing when it comes to fixing the Rex properly and giving us the functionality that the car is capable of.

jadnashuanh said:
If one really prefers an i3 with the European specs...one could move there. Lots of things we have here differ from what is supplied elsewhere. It is what it is for better or worse.

It seems that BMW is trying to walk that narrow path to keep the CARB happy, but provide closer to the functionality of that available elsewhere on the i3. I still stay, the i3 REx is not, nor ever will be, or operate as a replacement for an ICE if long distance (more than typical city commuting task for which it was designed) is your intended use. You have to stop to refuel it, and it is primarily an electric vehicle, and that means plugging it in in its current implementation. Yes, if you understand the limitations, and your route doesn't create issues, you can drive the thing longer distances, but it takes some planning. The fact that you can extend useful range with the motor, but it has limitations is a bonus, but not a replacement for an ICE vehicle that can power the vehicle just fine until the gasoline runs out. If you want that, buy something like a Volt, or other hybrid. The i8 works in that manner, too. The i3 has 34Hp, the i8 has over 200...it can supply both motive power and has enough left over to recharge the batteries...the i3's REx can't even keep up under stressful conditions. Even on the Volt, it has nearly 3x the gasoline powered engine than the REx...guess what, it can keep moving and recharge the batteries under most conditions.

Fact, the i3 can't keep up with the REx running if you're stressing the system with high speed, especially if climbing a mountain grade. Throw in the lights, heater, maybe seat heaters, and charging your phone(s) or playing games, and who knows how long the batteries can keep up.

Understand the limitations, and either accept them, or sell the thing. The tweak keeps the government happy along with giving you greater functionality. The fact that it may take an extra minute or so to get it to do that is the price of entry in NA. Or, tweak it via recoding the thing on your own. Once you have that figured out (the learning curve can be steep), redoing it, if required, is fast.

You don't get it I see that, you also just keep repeating the same line you like to throw at me. I have two other hybrids so that is not at issue here and you keep missing that point. It is a shame that BMW had to cripple this car just for their greed for CARB credits. If you don't like what I am carrying on about then why do you keep poking me by responding with the same BS over and encouraging me to respond to you again.

Move to another country that makes a lot of sense now doesn't it,,,really!

The problem here I agree is systemic in our government, lobby our legislative reps to get this fixed, you are funny. Let me see, the problem rests with the car maker in this case. Plus I don't live in California or a CARB state, the last I remember about this issue is it rests in hands of CARB states and the car maker.

I can code the car, worked in engineering, NC machining ect. Once again, recoding the switches that set the Rex is so easy that BMW could easily do that for the non CARB state owners, plain and simple. Instead they want to again complicate the functionality of the i3 by adding another layer of unknowns. Just how do you think this nav based fix will really work. I am not holding my breath in anticipation of it's success. Software changes beget more software changes, you just watch.

stumbledotcom said:

My car was ordered with a non refundable deposit before the Rex revelation and the gas tank change followed.

mindmachine said:
My car was ordered with a non refundable deposit before the Rex revelation and the gas tank change followed.
Substantially changing the specifications voids most contracts. It's obvious you feel that this is substantial.

Back