Use DC Fast Charging Daily?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodomo

NRG eVgo just installed a new DC Fast Charger near my gym. Given my schedule & routine, I can now get a DC Fast Charge 4-5 days a week and only need to Level 2 charge at home 1-2 days a week.

With the BMW ChargeNow program, my DC Fast Charge is free, so it's another reason to go to the gym regularly.

Are there any downsides to using DC Fast Charge almost daily? Thoughts on premature degradation on the battery?

One has also been installed next to my gym in Huntington Beach. I've had consistent trouble using it so I've about given up on it but I have read in several places including on this site that use of the fast charger beyond two or three times a week will cause battery degradation.

The things that degrade batteries are charging them to max (the i3 won't let you do that), depleting them to zero (the i3 won't let you do that either), or excessive heat (the i3 has active heating/cooling of the battery pack). IOW, while your cellphone or tablet might be affected by sitting on a charger too long, I don't think the i3 will. Note that once you reach 80% charge, the charging rate decreases considerably to protect the batteries from being overcharged, or over heated. Conventional thoughts on battery charging have been addressed in the i3 to reliably keep the batteries at their best for the longest timeframe. If BMW is wrong, their warranty should kick in...IOW, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Back