Week long test drive - review

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCeeJay

I had the opportunity to have a BMW i3 REX for a week long test drive, courtesy of the BMW Experience HQ arranged through my company car leasing. I thought people might be interested in yet another perspective on the experience, and options fitted. Bottom line - I ordered an i3 a my new company car.

The car had the following spec:
- BMW i3 REX, in ionic silver, with 20" wheels (double spoke 430)
- Suite Interior World
- Park Assist
- LED Lights
- Harman Kardon Hifi
- Winter Package
- Sun Protection Glass
- Comfort Access
- Media Professional

I used this mainly for commuting to and from work, with is about a 20 mile round trip on urban, A and B roads. I never came near to needing to activate the range extender.

What I like about it:
- The instant torque is addictive. It just keeps on going, right from standstill. Stepping back into my current 320d, which I thought was pretty torquey, felt like a huge step backwards. In comparison, the throttle in the 320d now feels like it is connected to the engine through a well of treacle. It does bring a big grin onto people's faces, when you accelerate at full throttle in the i3.
- The interior feels like a nice place to be. I like the interior styling, the big displays are wonderful, the wood and leather look, feel and smell luxurious.
- Charging was a breeze. I simply parked the car on our drive, in front of the garage, and connected the car to the mains, by feeding the supplied cable under the garage door. I plugged the car in over night, and the next morning it was fully charged. With the free (grant supported) car charger installed in the drive, it will be even easier and quicker.
- I loved the pre-conditioning. On Sunday morning, when it was below freezing, I set the set off time to 7AM, to pick up a few items for breakfast from the local supermarket. When I opened the car, it was toasty warm, and all the ice on the windows was melted.
- It is super quiet, which makes for a relaxing and comfortable drive.
- The car makes a lot of financial sense as a company car in the UK. The leasing rate is comparable to my current 320d, but you save a lot in company car tax (benefit in kind), and fuel.
- The steering has a good weight, yet the car remains very maneuverable, with a tiny turning circle. Together with its compact dimensions, this is the perfect urban runaround.
- On the options fitted, I liked Harman Kardon, which sounds excellent - clear sound, strong treble and bass. Winter Package is a must in my view (and from 2015 standard in the UK), in particular as it saves energy compared to full blast climate control, and to warm up cold leather seats in winter. The big screen looks good, and has lots of functionality I have not had the time to explore. The park distant control and camera really help to get to grips with the compact but unusual dimensions. The LED lights are very bright and clear.

What I don't like about it:
- You need to adapt your driving style. Driving in Comfort, with the instant torque and strong regenerative braking when lifting off, does not feel very smooth. You, and your passengers, will be jolted backwards and forwards a lot. I am sure this will ease off, as you learn how to gently change the throttle position. Eco Pro mode also reduces this effect.
- The ride is fairly harsh on typical roads with potholes and damage, not to a degree where it becomes uncomfortable, but it is very firm, compared to my 320d.
- The back doors are not very practical. You have to undo your belt, and open the front door to let a passenger out in the back. It is hard for the back seat passenger to open the door him/herself. And when parking, you awkwardly have to jostle in the opening between front and back door to let a passenger out, without bashing the doors against the car next to it, or against each other, also watching out that you don't close them in the wrong order (front door first). Not impossible, but harder than a conventional set up I found.
- The park assist function is hit and miss at best. I tried it out in quiet urban roads, and it selected impossible or non existent spaces a lot of the time, and did abort some attempts when I started to activate it. I still ordered it because of the excellent PDC front and back, and the back camera.

So overall, I was sad for the car to go back after a week. I ordered one because it is fun to drive, yet relaxing in traffic, it feels luxurious with lots of gadgets, and I save a lot of money compared highly efficient diesel cars (like the 320d I drive now).

Great review! I had my other BMW in service and they gave me the i3 REX for a week and was sold afterwards and went with the BEV. Never used the REX in the one week and went with the fully loaded BEV.

Back