What is my software/firmware version?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eneka said:
alohart said:
The software on my U.S. i3 BEV was updated to I001-15-11-502 on 17 November. I have always assumed that "I001" is the i3's model designation, "15" is the year of the update, and "11" is the month of the update. I don't know what "502" means. The original software on my i3 was I001-14-07-503, so the last series of digits is different. Maybe the last series of digits differs for BEV and REx versions, or maybe i3's sold in different markets.

If that's true, your update would be a November 2015 update, but I don't know why the last series of digits differs from mine. I did the open charging flap test and do see a warning message.

Ah I see it now. I do have the rEX model so that may be it. I did a bit of googling and thought it might've been a regional thing. I shall try driving with the charge flap open again and see if anything happens.

mine is a BEV and it says 504 too!

Using the deconstruction of the profile file method, I know I have the Nov. update, but I do not get the 'flap open' warning. All to say, the 'flap open' technique may be fine as a general rule but shouldn't be taken as authoritative - esp. if the car has been coded.

macgreiner said:
Using the deconstruction of the profile file method, I know I have the Nov. update, but I do not get the 'flap open' warning. All to say, the 'flap open' technique may be fine as a general rule but shouldn't be taken as authoritative - esp. if the car has been coded.

This is the first I've heard of this, so maybe there's an issue with the sensor/latch on the charging door of your car?

Which specific software version are you on?

alohart said:
The software on my U.S. i3 BEV was updated to I001-15-11-502 on 17 November. I have always assumed that "I001" is the i3's model designation, "15" is the year of the update, and "11" is the month of the update. I don't know what "502" means. The original software on my i3 was I001-14-07-503, so the last series of digits is different. Maybe the last series of digits differs for BEV and REx versions, or maybe i3's sold in different markets.
I finally took in my car for the November update the other day. My previous SW version was I001-15-03-502 and I am now on version I001-15-11-504. I saw something online a while back that had a breakdown of these numbers which I believe was the following:
I001 - vehicle model
15 - SW version year
11 - SW version month
504 - multimedia SW version

I tried to find the website where I saw this information but couldn't find it again with a quick search so I can't confirm this. I did notice a different display when playing music from the internal storage and my phone seemed to connect to the Bluetooth easier so I believe my multimedia SW was updated.

brorob said:
alohart said:
I finally took in my car for the November update the other day. My previous SW version was I001-15-03-502 and I am now on version I001-15-11-504. I saw something online a while back that had a breakdown of these numbers which I believe was the following:
I001 - vehicle model
15 - SW version year
11 - SW version month
504 - multimedia SW version

I tried to find the website where I saw this information but couldn't find it again with a quick search so I can't confirm this. I did notice a different display when playing music from the internal storage and my phone seemed to connect to the Bluetooth easier so I believe my multimedia SW was updated.

You're awesome! thanks!!!

I just got 2015 MY Rex four weeks ago. Noticed that I had I001-15-03-502 version and wanted to update it to the November version. Called the local dealer in Roseville CA (30 miles away) and was told by the girl that it will be a 2-hour job. Told them that I will wait there and won't need a loaner. Got there yesterday and the service rep told me that they won't get reimbursed by BMW unless I had a code or a problem or something. They refused to do it unless I pay for the labor of a whole-day's work. He suggested I wait until the first maintenance work which is not due until June this year.

Is this true? The dealers are not allowed to update the software alone? Do you know any dealer in Northern Cal who would do this?

Thanks.
Jay

BMW's policy is that they will update a car with the latest software if there's a safety or other reported problem exhibited by the car to the owner. One of the things that was (I think) fixed in the last s/w update was an issue with some that their EVSE would cycle on/off frequently near the end of the charging process. Someone can probably verify that, and if so, just tell them you're annoyed by the EVSE contactor clunking on/off, and that's a valid justification for BMW corporate to do this.

Other than that, the dealers won't get authorized to perform the update. FWIW, the update can take anywhere from a couple of hours to much longer if some module has an issue during the process. The dealers do not have the software sitting in their local computers...they hook the car up and the software is pushed for your unique vehicle's hardware modules from Germany, so if there's any glitch, it has to resend.

Back