What Level 2 Charger to Purchase?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebrai3

Bought a 2016 BMW I3 a week ago. My wife is loving her carpool lane commute to work. Need to put a Level 2 charger in the garage. Do I buy the BMW charger at the dealer or go to amazon and purchase a non BMW brand? Would welcome any help. Thank you!

We just installed a Siemens VC30GRYU Versicharge last week for our 2 week old Rex. Works as advertised with no issues at all. We purchased it through Amazon. Picking out which charger was more difficult than getting the i3 :)

IMHO, the BMW one is overpriced. There's a big selection of available units. A basic one only has 4 indicator lights. A fancier one may have a power readout/voltage readout/internet connection/remote control functions. If you want any of those extra features, you will pay a bit more.

I have a Clipper Creek unit that has been working fine for close to two years now. Made in the USA. Most aren't. The only thing I've heard is that on some, if you have a power problem (power outage), some units will not reconnect properly without unplugging and then replugging the cord.

i have a juicebox 40amp. it's portable, and will be able to work into the future (since current i3 needs are 30 amp). just need to be sure your service can handle... the folks there have been more than helpful!

sunny said:
i have a juicebox 40amp. it's portable, and will be able to work into the future (since current i3 needs are 30 amp). just need to be sure your service can handle... the folks there have been more than helpful!

I have the same one and love it. I got mine "refurbished" from juice box

clipper creek HCS-40. IMO I think the price might not matter since you can get a tax credit next year for what you paid for the EVSE. You also get a 30% tax credit on the installation fee.

Juicebox 40A charger is OK. Just measure how long your cable has to be to reach the charging port. If you find a used one, you are lucky.

Clipper Creek HCS-40. Lives outdoors and has not given me a moments trouble in 18 mos. Long cord. Made in US.

Green Car Reports just posted a review of the most commonly available EVSE's available in the USA. FWIW, The CC unit was their top choice. If you want something with more 'smarts', like Wi-Fi, etc., they also listed a few of those. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103133_how-to-buy-an-electric-car-charging-station-buyers-guide-to-evses

Back