Windows going down when unattended

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrobb

I keep finding my windows have gone down after leaving my car unattended. In all but one case, they've gone down all the way. This is both sets of windows. Generally it happens in the garage when I have it plugged in. I can't be sure, but I think in all instances, I've used the iPhone app to check the status of the car, so I have a suspicion something with that might be triggering it. It happened twice last night after I left the vehicle. Any ideas?

Might the unlock button on your fob have been inadvertently pressed. Maybe i3 owners have reported this problem which has been traced to inadvertent pressing of the unlock button, usually while in one's (tight) pants pocket.

One solution is to buy the fob cover from BMW and install it with its back side covering the front of the fob. This still allows one to press the buttons but reduces the likelihood of inadvertent button presses.

OK, thanks. I didn't realize the key fob would roll the windows down. That's probably it, since I started carrying a front-wallet in the last few months. Maybe things are just getting too crowded in there. :)

You must hold the unlock button for awhile for the windows to go down, but it's not hard for it to happen. If you have the menu option for relock if doors not open (the system default), it will relock the doors, but that's not much use if the windows are wide open, and a nasty situation if it's raining or snowing! Personally, I think having the unlock button right on the edge of the fob is a mistake. If I'm wearing jeans, I usually put it in the watch fob pocket with the cover on backwards and the buttons towards my body. I've not had an issue with the windows opening since. Comfort access for me means I only need to remember to remove it when the jeans need to be washed!

Is this the key fob cover you guys are talking about? It must be solid on the back and not just a bumper around the edges.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4651/BMW-I-KEY-COVER

We once took another couple to a nice neighborhood Indian restaurant on a very cold night on our way to see the premier of the Wild movie in Portland (partially filmed at our house -- portraying the shack Cheryl Strayed grew up in in Minnesota). Our table looked right out over the car, which was fun. Sure enough, the tight pants/depressed unlock button thing got me and when we went out it was 20 degrees F outside and inside the car, and it never did get warm again on the short drive to the theater.

chrobb said:
Is this the key fob cover you guys are talking about? It must be solid on the back and not just a bumper around the edges.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4651/BMW-I-KEY-COVER
Yes, that's the one I have...an overpriced piece of plastic, but it does glow in the dark!

Back