Winter tire change questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gte355u124

it's seems winter is soon to be here and I'm in the Northeast, so winter tires are a must. I had a couple questions:

1. Besides tirerack & BMW themselves (which personally I think the black tirerack wheels look better than standard bmw 19s), are there any other sites to get a winter wheel & tire package for the i3 from?

2. I'm going to put the wheels on myself, but this is my first BMW. Is there a special jack/jack attachment to changing wheels?

3. Wheel torque is somewhere around 80lbs?

Thanks!

1. not that i've been able to find - the only other tire option is from Nokian (which tire rack and bmw don't offer) and its pricier than the Blizzak... and don't even bother to ask a BMW parts dept for individual wheel prices :lol:

2. there are 4 rectangular jack points under the sill of the car that you can buy a special insert for, but its not necessary, a flat jack pad works just fine

3. The service manual specifies 140Nm, which is 103ft/lbs (http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2184)

wow, thanks for the quick reply!!

Yeah, with a curb weight of 3000lbs, I wouldn't think you'd need a pad. If I did decide to get it for the fun of it, is this the right tool:

http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html

FWIW, BMW sells the tire package for less than it costs to buy a wheel by itself and if the TPMS goes bad, it's also covered...aftermarket sensors will work, but won't be covered by warranty. They're pretty reliable, but when you add them into the cost of the TireRack wheel/tire, theirs ends up costing more and are without BMW's warranty.

Thanks for the sites. Yeah, I just can't get over that standard wheel style. To me, one of the big aesthetic improvements are the 20" wheels on the i3. I really like the look of the black rial's from tirerack so went with those even if they are a couple bucks more. I bet the black wheels would look really cool on the white i3s to complete the stormtrooper look (mine is the grey).

I've been shopping for BMW's winter tire + wheel package. As far as I can tell part # 36112349580 is no longer available: several places list it, but each place I've tried to order it from has cancelled the order. There is an alternative part #36112357088 which appears to refer to the identical 427 wheel + Blizzak LM-500 + TPMS package but is more expensive. I have not yet tried ordering #36112357088 yet. The cheapest I have found it is for $403.70 at http://www.sweeneyautoparts.com/oemparts/bmw-113/36112357088.html

Has anyone ordered from sweeneyautoparts.com? Their online checkout only gives an estimated shipping cost of 10% of purchase price and includes 7% sales tax even though they are in Ohio and I live in Colorado so I do not know what they would actually charge.

MarkN said:
I've been shopping for BMW's winter tire + wheel package. As far as I can tell part # 36112349580 is no longer available: several places list it, but each place I've tried to order it from has cancelled the order. There is an alternative part #36112357088 which appears to refer to the identical 427 wheel + Blizzak LM-500 + TPMS package but is more expensive. I have not yet tried ordering #36112357088 yet. The cheapest I have found it is for $403.70 at http://www.sweeneyautoparts.com/oemparts/bmw-113/36112357088.html

Has anyone ordered from sweeneyautoparts.com? Their online checkout only gives an estimated shipping cost of 10% of purchase price and includes 7% sales tax even though they are in Ohio and I live in Colorado so I do not know what they would actually charge.

Yes, Mark, they are local to me so I buy from them often, it's only that I have to pay tax and no shipping as I pick up the order. This site is associated to the dealer parts department so the parts come out of the dealer warehouse/order. You can call them about the tax - talk to Linda she's very helpful.

BTW, I'm in the same boat for the winter tire set, still trying to figure out the best option...

Back