winter tyres

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i7fan

How practical is it to just buy the tyres without the rims? Can they just be swapped with the regular tyres during winter. Seems a waste to have an extra set of rims sitting around for three quarters of the year not being used.

i7fan said:
How practical is it to just buy the tyres without the rims? Can they just be swapped with the regular tyres during winter. Seems a waste to have an extra set of rims sitting around for three quarters of the year not being used.

I have relatives in Germany and none of them store their winter tyres without rims, AFAIK. Most people have a stack pole or something to store tyres and prevent the rubber lying on top of each other.

When buying rims, I think, you also have to ensure that these are suitable for the pressure metering the i3 provides. But other people on here might be more knowledgable on this than me.

You CAN do it, but depending on how many seasons you think the tires will last, the cost of swapping them twice a year adds up, not counting the inconvenience. In the USA, you can buy a winter tire on a wheel, mounted, balanced with a TPMS on it for less than you can buy the wheel itself as a spare part. No idea if BMW sells it in a similar manner there. BTW, Nokian now also makes a winter tire specially made for the i3 that looks nice if you'd prefer that over the Bridgestone. WHen it comes time to replace my set, depending on what's available, I'll probably go with that one verses the Bridgestone, but there are a few years for new choices to arrive.

Also note that depending on which wheels you have on your vehicle, the winter tires available are only designed for the 5" rim, 19" wheels. ON mine, it came with those on the front, but 5.5" wheels on the back...it's not a good idea to try to put the same tires on both with different rim sizes.

jadnashuanh said:
You CAN do it, but depending on how many seasons you think the tires will last, the cost of swapping them twice a year adds up, not counting the inconvenience. In the USA, you can buy a winter tire on a wheel, mounted, balanced with a TPMS on it for less than you can buy the wheel itself as a spare part. No idea if BMW sells it in a similar manner there. BTW, Nokian now also makes a winter tire specially made for the i3 that looks nice if you'd prefer that over the Bridgestone. WHen it comes time to replace my set, depending on what's available, I'll probably go with that one verses the Bridgestone, but there are a few years for new choices to arrive.

Also note that depending on which wheels you have on your vehicle, the winter tires available are only designed for the 5" rim, 19" wheels. ON mine, it came with those on the front, but 5.5" wheels on the back...it's not a good idea to try to put the same tires on both with different rim sizes.

Cost for a complete set is just over £1000 compared to just over £400 for the tires. Not sure about the mounting/dismounting charges. Of more concern are the sensors. I believe they are in the valves. In my previous cars anytime the tires are changed the valves need to be changed at the same time. Not sure as to the cost of these as well.

Elsewhere in the forum some are saying mounting on the wider rims is OK.

Thanks for your input.

By the way, made some test on 2 inches of snow around 25 F. Under the snow, it was packed snow ice. Summer tire, can't go up any hill. Useless. Stuck everywhere. The regular Bridgstone winter tire change the experience. There are not so bad. The third test with the special winter tire that you can find only in Sweden-Finland... WOW !! No brainer. I can go up any hill or parking place that a traction can go. Braking power is really really good. They make the i3 a very good winter car, short only to an AWD. Even better for braking.

Can't figure why BMW do not offer this tire in America and Canada.

Next year, i will try the Nokian.

Louis

Here along the Hudson River at Albany we got about 14" yesterday. My i3 chugged right along just fine with the BMW/Bridgestone winter wheel set.
17959676-md.jpg

i7fan said:
Elsewhere in the forum some are saying mounting on the wider rims is OK.

Thanks for your input.

I have the 428 rims + winter tyres from BMW - presumably they are a 428 set and not 4 x 428 fronts but I haven't bothered to check.

Bill

Back