Winter wheel/tire fitment 2018 i3s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the design process, the manufacturer does lots of tradeoff decisions on how to equip their vehicles. When you play your own designer, you don't have the advantage of their engineering and design knowledge. It may just work, but you may not understand the consequences...essentially, you become your own designer with lots less knowledge and test data to back you up. Can it be done? Certainly, but you may not know the true costs or consequences for a long time.

I agree with Jim . Here is one suggestion . If front tires are not centered on or near the turn axis of the front suspension (as originally engineered) then each side has a 'pull' to it . If the tires are centered outside the axis then each would pull to it's own side . As long as the two 'pull' forces are relatively equal there is no issue . The trouble could arise when , due to differences in the road conditions from one side to the other , the 'pull' forces are not equal and an unexpected steering direction results . There is a kind of balancing act going on .

Back