Would you buy a used, 2016 REX as your first EV? AKA, help me decide!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally would not want to own a REx out of warranty. BEV maybe!

I see this posted a lot. But someone pointed out, that the failure rate on components of the BMW i3 are quite low. Do we hear about the few that do have issues on these boards? You bet. Some 40,000 BMW i3s have been sold in the US. If even 3% of them had major failures, that would be 1200 cars, we would see hundreds of postings about it, and likely would trigger a BMW recall/repair. So a chance of buying a BMW i3 that ends up with a major issue is there, but the chances seem pretty small.

I had an very similar experience and ended up with 2017 i3. I went for the 2017 because of the REX, fast charging and bigger battery.

I spent $32,000 Canadian which is well under your $30,000 USD budget.

I got my CPO terra 2017 BEV for $19,100 a couple months ago. It is WELL within your budget to get the bigger battery-- and that would allow you to easily/comfortably address all the use cases you listed. The BEV is also far more efficient on battery when it gets cold out than the REx, due to the heat pump (BEV) vs resistive heating (REx).

If you don't need to road trip it, I'd skip the REx-- it takes it from almost zero maintenance (brake fluid and cabin air filter every 2 years) to almost traditional ICE maintenance, adds most of the reliability issues on the i3, and makes the car 10% heavier.

Just go for it.

The only real maintenance is that little engine which I guarantee you will be alright with regular oil change intervals. Also this "no maintenance" on the Bev is not a reality. It is has an axle, power steering, suspension, among other moving mechanical parts.

Back