BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
epirali said:
To those of you who keep accusing people with complaints about the car of being trolls or telling them to shut up it stop whinung: stop it.

To those of you who keep whining about features of the car you bought, be aware that the features were there before you bought the car and you had the opportunity to test drive it and decide not to purchase. Get over your poor decision, or just sell it and move on. Stop whining.

Most of the members here have an i3 and enjoy it. Every vehicle has some minor issues. If you cannot keep a steady hand on the steering wheel, or your local pavement is so rocky that you need something that steers like a Pontiac, then get a Pontiac. If you wanted a reverse camera, it was on the option list. If you didn't option it, that is not a fault of the car, look in the mirror. Don't bitch about most other owners not sharing your whining, because that is what it is.

If there are 'plenty of complaints' about the steering, and: 'I know its not just me there are hundreds of owners who hate the steering on the I3' show us your data, otherwise you're just one step away from a complete fabrication.

It is entirely possible that we have whiners here who actually don't own an i3. It has happened before. They could be genuine trolls here just to enjoy themselves, or they might be agents from competitive brands employed to disrupt sales.

I33t said:
epirali said:
To those of you who keep accusing people with complaints about the car of being trolls or telling them to shut up it stop whinung: stop it.

To those of you who keep whining about features of the car you bought, be aware that the features were there before you bought the car and you had the opportunity to test drive it and decide not to purchase. Get over your poor decision, or just sell it and move on. Stop whining.

Using your own logic here:

To those of you who do not want to see anything negative about your car: stop your trolling and close your eye. Delete your account here and move on.

Yeah, makes as much sense as your "advice." So stop repeating it everywhere please.

BTW you realize every time you post something like this it just makes some of much more adamant to NOT move on, right? Did you bother at all to read the post I made?

By MY 2017, all cars and light trucks will be mandated to include backup cameras. Not that it helps those that want one now. I bought that option because I'm not as flexible as I used to be. I knew that in advance, and planned for it. Buying a car with what you think is an essential option, and not taking it is kind of silly. And, to complain about it later, kind of child-like. There are other cars as expensive that do not include one as standard...BMW is not alone in this. Given the car, most able-bodied people should have no problems backing it up safely - the visibility is quite good, and the car is short with IMHO, GOOD, quick steering.

Some folks got a good one and some folks got a bad one........

If your i3 was built just fine than good for you. But to say that because mine is OK those with i3 s that are not built correctly should shut up and stop speaking of their problems is just arrogant. It seems like your attitude is that since I got mine screw you: life is good for me and I do not want to hear about your problems.

BMW seems to be unable to build the i3 with any sort of consistent quality, some cars are perfect, some have weird software issues, some have defective chassis that whoop and howl as you drive them, some constantly break engine mount bolts, etc. There are all very real issues and they are all being reported by real owners, they are not part of some paranoid fantasy as you suggested.

Re rearview cam, we added it late to our order, as we figured that it would make sense for a quiet car, because people in car parks struggle to hear you sometimes. I'm glad I've got it, but wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

epirali said:
psquare said:
Looking back, I never noticed the light-weightedness of the steering in my first 3 long and exhaustive test drives. Before purchase, I also gave the car to my wife for a test trip to simulate her daily commute. She didn't initially notice it either.

Now, 4 months into owning it, the directness and lightweight steering is obvious to both of us, but hasn't become an issue. My wife would be the first to mention it, as she cares less about cars than me. I have actually started to like it.

I'm hearing those people who are not happy with the steering and may look back with regret. You are not trolls, but simply people who did less research than necessary. Simply own up to it.

I'll own up to not taking the 3 day test drive offered, I have before. I just would have realized better what I'd have to live with. If I had I may have still gotten the i3 for the one true winner feature (for me): the Rex. Right now nothing beats that one very useful feature. But I did a lot of research and until recently did not see anyone mentioning these characteristics. One review glossed over the suspension hop by saying he drives it like he would a stiff sport car, but that's it. That's why I don't let the real trolls, the one trying to shut down factual discussions, drive me away. If someone else is doing research as you say and reads this before they get an i3 they will have more information and can judge which camp they fall into.

The sad part is I find myself going to my other cars a lot more than I should considering I got the i3 for daily driving. There are days where I just don't want to deal with the handling and suspension.

Outstanding research there Mr Epirali! you profess to be an expert or at least experienced in EV ownership and performance suspensions, yet you say you managed to decline a 3 day test drive offer to see if the car actually did meet your needs. You have posted a lot on this forum asking about various aspects of Rex ownership, and ' claim ' your not Trolling when other i3 owners disagree with your viewpoint. Likely as not I think you might well be working some negative PR for another manufacturer.

Hilarious thread!

Thanks for the entertainment

:lol:

100_4500-L.jpg

:lol:

epirali said:
To those of you who do not want to see anything negative about your car: stop your trolling and close your eye. Delete your account here and move on.

Except for the massive difference that no one is saying we don't want to hear anything negative. I for one am definitely interested in reading the positive and negatives. We are saying options/features are known before you sign so you've no one to blame but yourself. That is an objectively a true statement.

Something subjective like the steering, yes that's worth debating.

Idleup said:
the reason your not hearing much about the steering is because most of the forum members are in "La La" land and are just here to brag about the I3 - heck they just spent $50K on the car, they don't want to publicly make a fool of themselves and complain about some real facts, such as the I3 being terribly over-priced and the fact is has some real issues with regard to value, handling, missing features, generator, fuel tank, leaks, etc.

You just publicly admitted you bought a car you think is terribly over-priced and has, according to you, a long list of issues. And you call us the fools? :D

PluviaPlumbum said:
Outstanding research there Mr Epirali! you profess to be an expert or at least experienced in EV ownership and performance suspensions, yet you say you managed to decline a 3 day test drive offer to see if the car actually did meet your needs. You have posted a lot on this forum asking about various aspects of Rex ownership, and ' claim ' your not Trolling when other i3 owners disagree with your viewpoint. Likely as not I think you might well be working some negative PR for another manufacturer.

Wow paranoid much?

I did do a lot of research, and as I said I failed to take the 3 day test drive. Partly because I had to make a decision by the day I came back from an extended trip. So I had to do most of my research remotely. I own 4 electric powered vehicles right now, if that is not enough experience for you then may I ask how many do you have? And this doesn't include the Tesla S which I have test driven a few times (different variants).

And I never said it didn't meet my needs, I said it has come significant flaws. And far worse some of the flaws are just from bad decision making, not from anything inherent to the car.

And finally as I have said elsewhere the i3 is just a commuter car for me, so it wasn't really that important that it be perfect. I just was not prepared for how bad it is in some aspects.

Is that better?

spinball said:
epirali said:

Except for the massive difference that no one is saying we don't want to hear anything negative. I for one am definitely interested in reading the positive and negatives. We are saying options/features are known before you sign so you've no one to blame but yourself. That is an objectively a true statement.

Something subjective like the steering, yes that's worth debating.

Sorry that was not at all aimed at you, or many many other posters who disagree with some of us. I apologize if I was not clear.

Actually there has been many more very helpful disagreement comments generally. There are just a few who simply troll anything that they don't like.

BTW I also got a lot of helpful comments BEFORE purchase from posters here, and have made coding changes to help with some of the issues because of information here.

I'd be very interested if any i3 owners could test drive the egolf and provide subjective comparisons. I only test drove the i3 for a few blocks so I can't comment except that I've noticed none of the attributes described here with the egolf. I bookmarked several reviews where the i3 and egolf were driven and compared. I'll revisit them and see if they bring up steering and handling when I get time. Also, I would think the many i3 reviews which I don't have bookmarked would have discussed any steering/handling issue

Ron
http://www.greenmotor.co.uk/2014/08/volkswagen-e-golf-versus-bmw-i3.html
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093497_nissan-leaf-vs-bmw-i3-vs-volkswagen-e-golf-german-magazine-compares
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/32655-BMW-i3-vs-VW-e-Golf-My-personal-test-drive-experience-and-conclusion
http://www.vox.de/medien/sendungen/auto-mobil/aktuelle_sendung/406f8-0-629b-23/sendung-vom-21-09-2014.html
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-e-golf-bests-bmw-i3-auto-motor-und-sport-test/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7hdmXfJQBI

epirali said:
I33t said:
epirali said:

Using your own logic here:

Except... I used your own logic for that post! LOL

I'm happy to hear about problems with the car, and I have said many times that no car is perfect.

Try looking in the dictionary to see the difference between 'report' and 'whining'

Then consider the word exaggeration, and look at the title and OP of this thread (and some of your own). Wonder why you get the responses you get?

+1 Spinball.

I33t said:
Except... I used your own logic for that post! LOL

I'm happy to hear about problems with the car, and I have said many times that no car is perfect.

Try looking in the dictionary to see the difference between 'report' and 'whining'

Then consider the word exaggeration, and look at the title and OP of this thread (and some of your own). Wonder why you get the responses you get.

I am not exaggerating at all, I am not going to speak for the OP. You realize we are two different people right? I get many responses here, most civil, and then some like yours.

Please realize you keep using the word 'whining' as if you are right, or that it is even a word used in civil discourse. I do not label what you are doing here (well except saying it is trolling). I don't use words like 'fanboy' or 'cheerleader' or 'blind follower.'

Seriously what makes you think you get anywhere by name calling? Maybe you should look up the words you use just to see why your message may be lost:

verb (used without object), whined, whining.
1. to utter a low, usually nasal, complaining cry or sound, as from uneasiness, discontent, peevishness, etc.:
The puppies were whining from hunger.
2. to snivel or complain in a peevish, self-pitying way:
He is always whining about his problems.

I33t said:
epirali said:
2. to snivel or complain in a peevish, self-pitying way:
He is always whining about his problems.

Yep. I think you have it. ingest.

I am sorry, I really tried to avoid this but I can't: please grow up and go away. Thanks.

All you are doing is hijacking the topics with your pointless posts.

epirali said:
Sorry that was not at all aimed at you, or many many other posters who disagree with some of us. I apologize if I was not clear.

No worries!

epirali said:
Actually there has been many more very helpful disagreement comments generally. There are just a few who simply troll anything that they don't like.

Agreed, but I see it coming from both sides.

I would have checked out the eGolf but it doesn't have REx and not available in my state.

I have just had another blast today in mine and well happy and latest software update not had any negative effect on regen and in fact increased my range +10 without any extra effort to drive Eco.

I don't think i3 is dangerous

I33t said:
I think the problem here is not the car.

The i3 has very direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center. Some people just can't handle that apparently. These are qualities I LOOK for in a car!

One of my other cars is also a German made car with direct steering and no dead spot. The steering is really good, has better feel than the i3, is also heavier, but it is also a lot more fidgety than the i3.

If you are having trouble getting used to the i3 steering, maybe there is a fault. Check your tyre pressures and wheel alignment.

If you want Pontiac steering, don't buy an i3. :)

Goofy Reply - quick question- If the steering is so high tech and as you say "German" then why is it no other BMW available has that same over-sensitive steering - I own a BMW I8 and the steering is perfect and absolutely nothing like the I3.

If you going to make statements do your research before engaging you mind! Other than just the steering problems the I3 suffers in numerous areas as I outlined above.

Best Regards!

Idleup said:
I33t said:
I think the problem here is not the car.

The i3 has very direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center. Some people just can't handle that apparently. These are qualities I LOOK for in a car!

One of my other cars is also a German made car with direct steering and no dead spot. The steering is really good, has better feel than the i3, is also heavier, but it is also a lot more fidgety than the i3.

If you are having trouble getting used to the i3 steering, maybe there is a fault. Check your tyre pressures and wheel alignment.

If you want Pontiac steering, don't buy an i3. :)

Goofy Reply - quick question- If the steering is so high tech and as you say "German" then why is it no other BMW available has that same over-sensitive steering - I own a BMW I8 and the steering is perfect and absolutely nothing like the I3.

Well, the steering is high tech, but that was not my claim. I did claim it was 'German' because it is. As for other cars including other BMW's not steering exactly the same as an i3, are you aware of what a 'StrawMan argument' is?

Wikipedia said:
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

I never made the claim that the steering has the exact same steering as an i8, a Porsche or whatever. If you look back I clearly said:

direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center

I stand by my words. My German cars have direct steering with little to no dead spot in the center. I look for those qualities in cars, and the i3 has it. Please read those words, not the words in your imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back