Returning my i3 for a refund

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I33t said:
In fact there was an article I read the other day that suggested the i3 is pulling buyers from other brands more than any other car.

I read that too and thought it might be the source of some discontent. The i3 is so similar in controls to the current 5 series that I feel instantly at home. If I came from another brand it would take at least 3 months to get used to all the BMW ways the iDrive in particular.

On leaving the dealer for my extended test drive he asked if I needed to have a run through of the car again. Then he said " Ah no you don't need that you have a five". Case closed.

But I pity the newbies, and yes if there is no check control message I wouldn't worry, not knowing where to check that I definitely would get worried. In any other brand a yellow would mean instant paranoia.

I just wondered how our colleagues in the US are driving theses things to cause this? I didn't see a reply to Tom's call for more diagnostic info to help solve it?

ocblueone said:
After just 6 days of ownership my new I3 also experienced drivetrain issues and stopped me dead in the middle of a one lane high speed road for an hour and a half waiting for BMW roadside assistance. Apparently a part is needed that is backordered from BMW, which will take 15 days to get and another day or two to install. Very disappointed as it seems this technology was not ready for prime time.

This happened to me, too, on Friday in Encinitas CA. I'm not troubled by a CEL. I'm ok with my missing navigation system if it's installed to my satisfaction in a reasonable amount of time. I'm NOT ok with the thought of what happened to me and OCBLUEONE happening to my wife and children -- at freeway speeds in Southern California. I'm only SLIGHTLY less frustrated than the OP. My Chevy Spark EV, that I traded in for the i3 Rex, gave me 10 months of trouble-free usage. I bought a beautiful Orange car because it appeared to be a major upgrade. I was not a happy camper sitting stranded on the side of a major freeway getting smirked at by all the ICE-drivers.

UPDATE: I finally got a call from someone in upper management from BMW corporate about my "buy back". This lady was incredibly cold hearted and without sympathy of any kind. The answer was "no". At this point I have no choice but to involve my attorney.

As a back up plan, I've posted my car for sale on Auto Trader in San Diego, Ca. I've been told that these are software issues that need to be updated. For the fans of this car who feel strongly about that point of view, you're welcome to buy my car or tell a friend that it's available. It's fully loaded with every option possible and it's the "Electronaut Edition" which makes it pretty rare because they only made 700. It only has 820 miles and it's in MINT condition. I'll even throw in the 240 Volt FAST charger I bought for my garage. It charges the car in less than 4 hours.

My email address is [email protected]. Serious inquiries only please. Thank you.

RoboBMR said:
UPDATE: I finally got a call from someone in upper management from BMW corporate about my "buy back". This lady was incredibly cold hearted and without sympathy of any kind. The answer was "no". At this point I have no choice but to involve my attorney.

As a back up plan, I've posted my car for sale on Auto Trader in San Diego, Ca. I've been told that these are software issues that need to be updated. For the fans of this car who feel strongly about that point of view, you're welcome to buy my car or tell a friend that it's available. It's fully loaded with every option possible and it's the "Electronaut Edition" which makes it pretty rare because they only made 700. It only has 820 miles and it's in MINT condition. I'll even throw in the 240 Volt FAST charger I bought for my garage. It charges the car in less than 4 hours.

My email address is [email protected]. Serious inquiries only please. Thank you.

So, you're asking $60,000 for a car with an MSRP of $56K?

Yet, your AutoTrader ad does nothing to disclose the problems you feel WBY1Z4C56EVX62699 has that are so egregious that you've created an entire thread stating BMW should buy it back? Caveat emptor!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[BMW[BMWI3[]][]]&listingId=374993300&Log=0

Hmm.

This could go pretty wrong. If you're selling a car you believe to be faulty without disclosing the faults aren't you just painting 'sue me' on your back?

I'm giving full disclosure that the check engine light repeatedly comes on and BMW claims is purely a "glitch" in the software. I'm not going to lie about anything and I haven't.

UTER,

Thank you for adding my Auto Trader link to this post. It will help me sell it faster. Thanks!!

uter said:
RoboBMR said:

So, you're asking $60,000 for a car with an MSRP of $56K?

Yet, your AutoTrader ad does nothing to disclose the problems you feel WBY1Z4C56EVX62699 has that are so egregious that you've created an entire thread stating BMW should buy it back? Caveat emptor!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[BMW[BMWI3[]][]]&listingId=374993300&Log=0

As a guy that recently sold an electric car...I think you'll find it difficult to sell the car without offering up your $10k incentive. I feel your pain, though, and hope you come to a good resolution. These are cool cars...I'm "hopeful" that the problems will be worked out.

(I've edited this post and removed a statement I made that may come back to haunt me.) Good luck to you Robo

Is it true you have "run flats" on the 20inch? Wow that must be hard? UK demo I have driven all have the compressor fluid fill for normal tyres? Is this a country specific difference?

Gonville said:
Is it true you have "run flats" on the 20inch? Wow that must be hard? UK demo I have driven all have the compressor fluid fill for normal tyres? Is this a country specific difference?

No I'm pretty sure the only tyres available for the i3 size rims are not conventional tyres, not run flats. Happy to be corrected though.

Bill

RoboBMR said:
I'm giving full disclosure that the check engine light repeatedly comes on and BMW claims is purely a "glitch" in the software. I'm not going to lie about anything and I haven't.

Can't see it in the advert?

What about "DRIVETRAIN: STOP CAREFULLY" ? See first post.

There is a trail of evidence here...

Wow $60,000? It's not even the top Tera world and he wants $ 4 or 5k over MSRP for a car with problems, electronaut or not that's kind of steep.
I don't think the buyer will get the federal and state tax credits either. That makes the car equal to MSRP of $70000

mindmachine said:
Wow $60,000? It's not even the top Tera world and he wants $ 4 or 5k over MSRP for a car with problems, electronaut or not that's kind of steep.
I don't think the buyer will get the federal and state tax credits either. That makes the car equal to MSRP of $70000

But if the used car buyer wasn't satisfied with the car, he could just return it to the seller for a full refund, right?

Gonville said:
No - none of the i3 tire options are run flats.

RoboBMR said:
UTER,

Thank you for adding my Auto Trader link to this post. It will help me sell it faster. Thanks!!

Happy to oblige. I'll be interested to learn how the sale works out. Can the used buyer claim the federal and state EV tax credits, or is that only to the original purchaser? Also, will the rarity of the car suffice to command a premium over MSRP, despite this vehicle's described shortcomings that apparently warrant a manufacturer buy-back.

uter said:
RoboBMR said:
UTER,

Happy to oblige. I'll be interested to learn how the sale works out. Can the used buyer claim the federal and state EV tax credits, or is that only to the original purchaser? Also, will the rarity of the car suffice to command a premium over MSRP, despite this vehicle's described shortcomings that apparently warrant a manufacturer buy-back.

I looked it up and the Federal tax credit is only good for the original purchaser as new. Didn't bother to check the California rules but I am 99% sure the same applies for that credit too.

Plus it appears that the original owner my not be eligible for the Federal credit because of the short time of ownership before resale.

I also checked cars.com and found another Electronaut i3 for sale in California, at a dealership with only 7 miles on it. Priced at $56,725 and it is a Tera trim level which cost more than the OP's car. Plus like the OP's it has the 20 inch wheels.

My CEL came back on again today. It came on last week after 4 days, BMW reset it and said there is not much to do until a new software version comes out and now it is back so I guess i will just ignore it for now. I have two questions for all of you:

1. Has anyone without a Rex experienced this problem? (I am pretty sure it is related to the little engine but if someone without a REx got this fault it would mean that it is not REx related).

2. The dealer at one point seemed to suggest that maybe it is related to my non-BMW wall charger (which is likely BS as it charges fine and I have used it on my Tesla Model S without incident. Unless there is some signaling incompatibility that was cause this fault to manifest itself later when driving). Has anyone had the Check Engine light come on that DOES use a BMW wall charger? If so, that would destroy the theory that my wall charger is somehow causing the problem.

znino said:
My CEL came back on again today. It came on last week after 4 days, BMW reset it and said there is not much to do until a new software version comes out and now it is back so I guess i will just ignore it for now. I have two questions for all of you:

1. Has anyone without a Rex experienced this problem? (I am pretty sure it is related to the little engine but if someone without a REx got this fault it would mean that it is not REx related).

2. The dealer at one point seemed to suggest that maybe it is related to my non-BMW wall charger (which is likely BS as it charges fine and I have used it on my Tesla Model S without incident. Unless there is some signaling incompatibility that was cause this fault to manifest itself later when driving). Has anyone had the Check Engine light come on that DOES use a BMW wall charger? If so, that would destroy the theory that my wall charger is somehow causing the problem.

Non BMW wall charger is a bunch of BS, otherwise you could never charge other than at home, most type 2 chargers in the public domain are not BMW chargers.

mindmachine said:
znino said:

Non BMW wall charger is a bunch of BS, otherwise you could never charge other than at home, most type 2 chargers in the public domain are not BMW chargers.

I know it is BS but that's what they were implying and the more facts i have the better. You do make a good point about the public chargers!

TomMoloughney said:
Gonville said:
No - none of the i3 tire options are run flats.

Thanks Tom that is as I thought. So the advert is wrong in using the words "run flats".

znino said:

Check engine light applies to internal combustion engines only. BEVs don't have it in the cluster. Here's mine with all the warning lights on at start up.

bmw-i3-bev-warning-lights.jpg

A solid CEL typically indicates an emissions issue. Most common cause is a loose fuel cap. Modern emission systems include fuel vapor recovery so a loose cap can cause the computer to throw up a fault. Edmunds.com has a good article if you want more background.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/what-your-check-engine-light-is-telling-you.html

Given the rumors that BMW changed the fuel capacity of North American REX models as part of the certification process, it's pretty logical that this CEL instance is just a bug that slipped through. There's no way it's related to charging. Anyone who suggests such is displaying ignorance. Makes as much sense as saying it's caused by an evil spirit.

To be clear, the CEL is distinct from the drivetrain fault warning that a few have experienced.

Back