Returning my i3 for a refund

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stumbledotcom said:
znino said:
1. Has anyone without a Rex experienced this problem? (I am pretty sure it is related to the little engine but if someone without a REx got this fault it would mean that it is not REx related).

Check engine light applies to internal combustion engines only. BEVs don't have it in the cluster. Here's mine with all the warning lights on at start up.

bmw-i3-bev-warning-lights.jpg

A solid CEL typically indicates an emissions issue. Most common cause is a loose fuel cap. Modern emission systems include fuel vapor recovery so a loose cap can cause the computer to throw up a fault. Edmunds.com has a good article if you want more background.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/what-your-check-engine-light-is-telling-you.html

Given the rumors that BMW changed the fuel capacity of North American REX models as part of the certification process, it's pretty logical that this CEL instance is just a bug that slipped through. There's no way it's related to charging. Anyone who suggests such is displaying ignorance. Makes as much sense as saying it's caused by an evil spirit.

To be clear, the CEL is distinct from the drivetrain fault warning that a few have experienced.

Perfect. I will be sure to throw this in the service guy's face if he tries to mention it again

This will be my final post because BMW has decided to do a "buy back". I want everyone to know that I don't hate the car and there were a lot of things I really liked about it. A part of me will definitely miss it, but after living with it for a month, I now see that BMW has a lot of refinements to make and it was released to early. I want to wish all the i3 owners out there the best of luck and hope your car gives you years of joy and satisfaction. I'm confident BMW will make the proper changes and the next version of the i3 will be much better. Please take a moment and do a search for EV battery technology in 2017. It's going to be a game changer. All the best everyone.

RoboBMR said:
This will be my final post because BMW has decided to do a "buy back". I want everyone to know that I don't hate the car and there were a lot of things I really liked about it. A part of me will definitely miss it, but after living with it for a month, I now see that BMW has a lot of refinements to make and it was released to early. I want to wish all the i3 owners out there the best of luck and hope your car gives you years of joy and satisfaction. I'm confident BMW will make the proper changes and the next version of the i3 will be much better. Please take a moment and do a search for EV battery technology in 2017. It's going to be a game changer. All the best everyone.

Glad to hear BMW is going to lengths to make an unsatisfied customer "whole" again.
If the car is that flawed, it needs to go back the manufacturer and not simply re-sold on Autotrader.
Maybe they'll learn what's wrong with it and apply that knowledge to other customers' cars.

But if you read the whole post there does not seem to be anything wrong with it. The car has the ‘Check Engine Light’ which has been confirmed as a software issue on USA cars and I understand it had the drive train issue once. So I don’t really see the original posters statement 'I now see that BMW has a lot of refinements to make and it was released to early. ‘ as true.

Customers in other markets are not having the check engine light issue...the final decision to change the fuel tank size on the REx was pretty last minute, so whatever coding was done, had to be modified, and didn't have a lot of time to be tested. Personally, I don't have an issue with this...the car did perform. If all works out well, I'll be picking up a new one today...that's how much it bothered me. Being an engineer, familiar with complex software driven systems, I do not see this as a huge issue.

jadnashuanh said:
Customers in other markets are not having the check engine light issue...the final decision to change the fuel tank size on the REx was pretty last minute, so whatever coding was done, had to be modified, and didn't have a lot of time to be tested. Personally, I don't have an issue with this...the car did perform. If all works out well, I'll be picking up a new one today...that's how much it bothered me. Being an engineer, familiar with complex software driven systems, I do not see this as a huge issue.

We have the same issue in Canada (same reduced fuel tank as well?), and aside from my CEL being on (and waiting for a software upgrade), the car has performed and functioned beautifully since I picked it up 3 weeks ago.

OP is being a drama queen by asking for a buyback over a non-issue. He sounds like he has buyer's remorse in general, it has nothing to do with his check engine light. That is a technicality being used to get out of a regrettable purchase. There are other EVs out there that will offer you a better experience. You should look into them - no need to wait until 2017.

So your misrepresenting for sale advert didn't get any takers?

Good on BMW for taking your car off you :p Hopefully they will hand it over to a non drama queen for a good discount. There is basically nothing wrong with it, and the warning light will be fixed by a software update in due course.

I thought your previous post was your final post? :mrgreen:

Definitely a drama queen.

Careful not to run over anything in your Tesla, I bet they won't take it back. lol.

The i3 and the Tesla are both excellent EV's, but completely different cars in capacity, mass, range and efficiency. End result: You paid double for a less efficient car.

Hopefully it will work out for you.

You seem really angry about this. Didn't BMW take the car back? If so, then no worries, right?.

We can be civil on a forum that has a lot of potential to help other people.

Comparing a Tesla with a BMW i3 is like apples and oranges...the only common denominator is they are both EV's...they were designed for very different circumstances. They're both nice cars, but both have had their little glitches.

The use of course language in a public forum does little to advance serious discussion. Clearly there is something more to our disgruntled ex-i3 owner's comments that a couple of messages on the car's screen. That was clear from his very first message on this thread. So, be gone with him from this forum and may he enjoy his Tesla--an excellent vehicle by all measures.

RoboBMR, you are a piece of work, my friend.

Your initial post talks about what we all know is nothing more than a software glitch. BMW refuses to buy your car back, because after all, it is just a software glitch that most likely will be resolved shortly. Your attempt to resell the car yourself, for a $4000 premium, obviously didn't work out, so you went back to hammering BMW for a buy-back. If your in-person communications are anything like your last post, I can see why BMW finally relented. People here called you a Drama Queen, maybe a little harsh, but it appears that the shoe fits...

Here's what I think the real issue is, and this is based on your last post, you can't afford the car. You realized this after you took delivery and then started looking for a way out. The other issues you mention sound completely made up to me. I think it's especially funny that you mention decreased range when you increased the load. Shocking. I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works with anything, whether it's an EV, an ICE, or a horse.

So in the end, you got what you wanted. Good for you. Have fun with your Tesla :roll: I'm not sure you will though.

Well he will probably be pissed with the Tesla S very soon and happily pay 10 times the Model S price for a Rimac.

http://www.rimac-automobili.com

For this price you even have a decent factory set of tires and center console included. Also, there is no sunroof on this car, so it can't leak ! However a coat hanger isn't included tho... to save weight...

stumbledotcom said:
Update: On July 8, Edmunds reports having a fourth drive unit installed. (Technically fifth since the fourth arrived at the service center broken.)

Hi Stumble,
thanks for the link, I somehow missed Edmunds' reporting on the Tesla to date, great read.
I am indeed worried that R-BMR isn't going to be a happy customer @ Tesla (as well)...

EDMUNDS: "Driving around the past few days with this car has reminded me of how good it is. People often ask me what I think of it, and I tell them this is an awesome car, with a huge caveat: Be prepared for things to go wrong."

PS (and, sorry, off topic): about Tesla: I have a huge amount of 'admiration' (in lack of a better word) for Musk et al. for making E-drive an acceptable alternative to the buyers/lessees in the higher priceregions. Although it is not the car for me due to price, size and economy considerations, they are a great catalyst in the E-drive industry.

Regards, Steven

XXL said:
Well he will probably be pissed with the Tesla S very soon and happily pay 10 times the Model S price for a Rimac.

http://www.rimac-automobili.com

Also, there is no sunroof on this car, so it can't leak ! However a coat hanger isn't included tho... to save weight...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back