Looking to replace my star-style wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell

Greetings, first time poster / visitor. Bought my 2014 silver i3 Mega Rex a couple of weeks ago, admittedly without enough due diligence. (Darn those salespeople who pressure you with time-specific deals.) Love just about everything about my car except the wheels: I have the star design. Wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with the one aftermarket wheel made in Germany for our car? And/Or: is there anyone out there who'd like to purchase or swap wheels?

Thanks.

where are you located and which ones are you looking for? I have #1
wheel+options.jpg

I also have #1. I think that's called the "star" style. Apparently there is one after-market wheel that works, from Rial of Germany.....

I want a set of those star spoke wheels as my winter wheels... if anyone wants to sell a set, and the logistics work, let me know :D

SSi3 said:
I want a set of those star spoke wheels as my winter wheels... if anyone wants to sell a set, and the logistics work, let me know :D
Have you checked BMW's pricing for the winter tires/wheels already mounted? You can buy the package for less than the retail price of a wheel alone! That includes the wheel, tire, TPMS, center cap, and it's mounted and balanced! Just be aware, the TPMS is not used in some markets, so there are two part numbers for the packages...make sure to get the one you need!

jadnashuanh said:
SSi3 said:
Have you checked BMW's pricing for the winter tires/wheels already mounted? You can buy the package for less than the retail price of a wheel alone! That includes the wheel, tire, TPMS, center cap, and it's mounted and balanced! Just be aware, the TPMS is not used in some markets, so there are two part numbers for the packages...make sure to get the one you need!

I have, a package from the dealer here is $2000-2200+tax, so I figured I would see if I can get lucky and piece together a set for less, if not i'll just breakdown buy the dealer pkg. Fortunately we don't have TPMS sensors in Canada.

I don't know the current exchange rate, but in the US, a wheel with tire and TPMS retails for about $433 each (or did when I bought mine). I was able to negotiate a deal on them as I included that provision as part of my original sales agreement. Those in Canada without the TPMS should be less. Hard to say with the exchange rates and taxes.

Note, Nokian is the only other manufacturer that I've found that makes winter tire for the i3...if I were going to piece together a set, I think I'd go with them verses the Bridgestone. Check out their R2 tire, it's slick. WHen mine need to be replaced, I'll probably go with them...I've had good luck with their tires along with Michelin, but Michelin doesn't make a tire for the i3 (yet).

I just bought the Nokian Hakka R2 for this coming winter and they arrived today. I paid $152 per tire and got them from tiresbyweb. I will next purchase the RIAL X10-1 wheel in black from Tire Rack which when you add the TPMS, matching black valve stems and delivery comes to $1285. So the grand total of the wheels and tires mounted will be $608 +$1285+$200 (mounting and balancing) = $2093. I could have had four of the Bridgestones BLizzacks on the 427 wheel mounted and balanced by my dealer for just under $1700. I think the Hakka R2's are worth the difference as I have had both the Blizzacks and the Hakka's on other vehicles.

Keep in mind that any winter tire stock available now is likely from the spring 2014 production cycle (they make the winter tires in the spring/summer, and concentrate on the rest in the fall/winter). Especially with a winter tire, you should adhere to the max of 6-years, regardless of the tread left. Course, most people wear them out before 6-years, but if you don't...keep that in mind. It's also probably a reason why last years tire packages are cheaper...expect them to probably go up as fall approaches, but they will be from this year's production. Course, the price of oil has gone down, so maybe not.

The dealer said it would ship from Germany, if that matters. Honestly, I don't care if it's a year old or not. I've had winter tires and they usually last about 3 seasons for me.

Back