flyboy320

Re: Air conditioning failed

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 am

MKH wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 am
Took the car back in a week later when the parts were in, and got both the new rubber boots and the new AC compressor installed - for $0.
Did you notice anything amiss (perhaps the sound) from the A/C compressor before you took it in, did you suspect it might be failing?

MKH
Gold Member

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:59 am

Did you notice anything amiss (perhaps the sound) from the A/C compressor before you took it in, did you suspect it might be failing?
To me it sounded the same as when I bought it over a year ago, my wife had said at the end of the summer that she thought it sounded a little louder to her and I mentioned that to the Service Advisor.
AC Replacement.jpg
AC Replacement.jpg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

i3Houston

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:11 pm

flyboy320 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 am
MKH wrote:
Took the car back in a week later when the parts were in, and got both the new rubber boots and the new AC compressor installed - for $0.
Just like MKH, my wife told me that car is making more noise than it normally does. Don't think I would have heard it from inside the car.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

i3Alan

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:00 pm

MKH wrote:
Maybe BMW is taking notice of the possible AC compressor failure in the early i3's. Took my 2015 in...
The good news is that it looks like BMW is starting to take responsibility for their time-bomb AC compressors.

The bad news is two-fold. First, this was a 2015, and the previous reports I've seen on failed AC compressors have all been 2014s.

Second, is BMW is still taking no responsibility for how they screwed me out of my i3, leaving me with salvage value and a pitiful $2K goodwill gesture (calling it goodwill is denying responsibility). As far as I am concerned, BMW still owes me $5800 as I have stated in a claim letter to them which has been ignored completely, other than acknowledgment of receipt by the dealer when I asked in person. The $5800 is the difference in the book value immediately before and after the catastrophic AC failure, minus the "goodwill". That is why I am driving a new Leaf SL+ now while waiting for the Tesla Y. Had BMW given me $7800 credit on a new BMW when this happened, I almost certainly would be driving a new i3 now.

It seems that BMW is less bothered by never seeing me own another BMW product, and making sure I will tell as many people why not for many more years, then they would be bothered by the loss of $5800 to make this right by me. So far, I am pretty sure I stopped two new BMW vehicle sales. I am pretty certain BMW is going to be out far more than $5800 because of what happened to my i3 and BMW's pitiful response to it.

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”