2 weeks into I3 REx Ownership, what i've learnt so far...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabster

My rather lovely I3 arrived a few weeks ago and as you all know, there's a learning curve when coming from an ICE car.

So far I've done a good variation of journeys such as general pottering about locally in Kent, a 70 mile round trip to the coast with the family, 35 mile rush hour commutes into London and back again, 300 mile round trip to Norfolk in the rain, and last night a 150 mile round trip to Basingstoke all at motorway speed.

Key points for me:
1. If you have REX then you don't really need a fast charger. I've fitted the standard BMW three-pin charger to an outdoor wall socket and it works fine. I set it to only charge off-peak and I still have not once got up at 6 or 7am in the morning without a fully charged I3 waiting for me. I really would strongly suggest any new REX owners to wait before spending good money on a fast charger, subsidized or not. Also, the REX works so good that its got to the point now that I don't religiously plug the car in every night anymore unless there's less than 50% charge remaining.
2. The car is very comfortable. I've not once had an achy body after a long drive.
3. The standard stereo is great. I've never felt the need for more bass/treble/volume and my family have yet to notice the lack of rear speakers!
4. I tend to drive in EcoPro most of the time purely because it makes the throttle response much smoother. I only ever switch to Comfort for the traffic light grand prix, which I've yet to lose BTW :)
5. I'm amazed at the attention the car gets. I constantly get people asking me about the car, kids seem to love it and point at it as we go past, men more often think it looks bonkers whereas women more often think it looks cool.

What would I change?
1. The rear doors are not practical when parking in car parks. Its a complete kerfuffle getting my son out of the car. Regular doors next please.
2. When selecting Reverse, only the passenger mirror dips, would be great if they both dipped.
3. The Bluetooth and USB audio options aren't that great. Bluetooth doesn't pick up playlists so you're stuck on whatever playlist you selected on the phone, whereas USB simply does work with my Android smartphone. If you're gonna remove the CD option, which is a good idea in principle, then you need to get the alternatives options right first.

rabster said:
1. If you have REX then you don't really need a fast charger. I've fitted the standard BMW three-pin charger to an outdoor wall socket and it works fine.
… except for us North American owners whose standard BMW charger (120 v., 12 a.) delivers about half the power of those in the rest of the lucky world where 230 v. rules.

alohart said:
rabster said:
1. If you have REX then you don't really need a fast charger. I've fitted the standard BMW three-pin charger to an outdoor wall socket and it works fine.
… except for us North American owners whose standard BMW charger (120 v., 12 a.) delivers about half the power of those in the rest of the lucky world where 230 v. rules.

Or if you decide you want a quick top up!

Tycho said:
rabster:

Bluetooth picks up the playlists on my iPhone.

Best, Eric

Thanks Eric, I will try my sons ipod in that case. If push comes to shove I can buy one of those just for in the car.

Thanks for all of the other advice too, I've done some playing around but still not managed to get something that works for me. On the plus side, the DAB stations are excellent!

I love the rear coach/suicide doors and so do my two girls. Its makes getting in and out much easier since the opening is so large. I can see your issue if there is not enough space to swing open both doors, but when there is plenty of room, its definitely a nice feature of the i3.

MFNATIK said:
I love the rear coach/suicide doors and so do my two girls. Its makes getting in and out much easier since the opening is so large. I can see your issue if there is not enough space to swing open both doors, but when there is plenty of room, its definitely a nice feature of the i3.

As with my RX8, I don't look at the i3 as an actual 4-door car. I see it as basically a 2.5-door car with extensions for more access. Remember, one of the prototypes was a strict 2-door, with less convenience and access than the 2.5-door version.

Back