40 kwh battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander99

Give us the option to pay more for a 40 kwh battery pack.

This would more than double the range of the all electic version and take the Rex up above the base Tesla's range.

I keep reading that folks won't cross shop these two cars, but for some of us the Tesla is just too large. I want the same range as the Tesla, but in a smaller and lighter package.

Car is too small for 40kw probably. Instead, there could be an extra battarey back to be located in REX motor cavity. Probably it would fit an additional 5kW. Even that would help.

Muhv said:
Car is too small for 40kw probably. Instead, there could be an extra battarey back to be located in REX motor cavity. Probably it would fit an additional 5kW. Even that would help.
I think that there is room for a 10-15 kWh battery. The Zero motorcycle has an option to add 2,8 kWh in a much smaller place.

See here what space there is:
ku-xlarge.png

Alexander99 said:
Give us the option to pay more for a 40 kwh battery pack.
... I want the same range as the Tesla, but in a smaller and lighter package.
You already have it. It's called the BMW i3 REx. If BMW considers a larger battery pack as an option, hopefully it will be only an option, and the 22 kwh pack will remain available to those of us who only occasionally need to exceed 70 miles or so between charging opportunities, would rather carry an energy source that weighs 1/23rd that of a lithium ion battery pack per mile of range for the occasional exceedance of that range, and impacts the environment far less than the imbedded energy used and pollution created by manufacturing and hauling around seldom used battery capacity.

Edited 2/2 correcting specific energy comparison (the 1/23 number) to account for ~20% efficiency of gas engines and ~ 92.4% efficiency of electric motors.

No we don't. Lots of people don't want gas in their electric car. I'm one of those. I'd pay Rex level premium ($4k-$5k) to have a 40k pack.

I'm just saying make it an option, like Tesla, then folks can choose the size they want.

Something else - If you only drive <150 miles per week (like I do) then a larger battery pack will require fewer charge cycles.

I have already think making an extender w Li-Ion:
Price: 1000€ /Kwh
weight: 10Kg /Kwh plus BMS.
I`m still waiting for lower price, less weight and better efficiency LiFo4 batteries (or Lithium Air)
(sorry my poor english...i´m Portuguese.)

tifon said:
I have already think making an extender w Li-Ion:
Price: 1000€ /Kwh
weight: 10Kg /Kwh plus BMS.
I`m still waiting for lower price, less weight and better efficiency LiFo4 batteries (or Lithium Air)
(sorry my poor english...i´m Portuguese.)

I think a battery range extender would be perfect. .. It would be the equivalent of carrying around a spare tank of gas but an ev tank...

St said:
I like that!
Even better than my emergency Honda generator idea. :)

Hi Surge.. Thanks. .. There are several options and I planned to run them through an inverter to let me charge at 240 vac.

It's still cheaper than a Rex motor and saves me £544 per year benefit in kind usage tax too over three years .. ie Rex at £3500 plus £544x3 = approx £5000. So as long as my electric range extender costs less than 5k I save money and stay true electric which was my personal objective.

Does this ring you a bell???
Forget ski and ask for a roof rack.
Plus this...

http://www.pluginsupply.com/

Back