650 km trip - Amazing performance on a long trip.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentheteaman

I hv just returned from a 650km trip - London to Devon and back.

I was initially skeptical about capability of i3. I shouldn't have been really. It drove so effortlessly in the long motorways it was as if i3 was gliding like a aeroplane. I had 100% charge to start with but as soon as the charge dropped to 75% I clicked the Rex on.

I fueled twice when on way up and 3 times while returning. So I in total 40litres. While running in rex it maintained the state of charge to 75% mostly but when I increased the speed to above 70miles/h it slowly started to fall. By the time I returned home the state of charge was still 50%. I did not charge the car over night when we stayed in Devon. So it was the original 100% charge when I left home yesterday.

At the beginning the Rex noise was annoying but soon I got used to it. Most of the trip I did not notice the noise at all.

The power of i3 on Rex was really impressive. It climbed the rolling hills of Devon effortlessly. Maintaining the speed at 75miles per hour was not a problem at all. Overtaking vehicles was easy.

Most of the time I left it in Cruise mode at 70miles/h. The cruise control was excellent most of the time. However, on couple of occasions it suddenly stopped working and I had to take quick action as the car slowed down rapidly. Once it happened when I was over taking a car and another car was behind me very close. The cruise control gave me sound warning and suddenly stopped and I had to quickly use my foot to accelerate. The car behind me was alarmed and he horned me and flashed me. I had to apologize.

To summarize the drive - I am really impressed with the drive and the capability of the i3 on long trips. I did not feel hampered at all by the frequent stops for fueling. At the most I would have lost half hour extra due to fueling comparing to the ICE cars on a similar trip.

Until today's trip, I had done 4,500km in 6 weeks and only spent less than 20.00 on petrol saving me lot of money on fuel.

The car has grown on me gradually in the last 6 weeks since I got the delivery.I can't praise it enough to be honest.

Wonderful i3 indeed.

regards,
ken

Great story and thanks for sharing.

I was wondering why you kept using rex for the last 50kms? If you turned it off, you could save on gas. Didnt you had a chance to charge you car at destination or didnt you charge by purpose?

Hi Ken,

Sounds like a great trip and in keeping with my findings on longer runs, did you calculate the mpg?... I think I get about 42mpg at 70 mph.

Do you have active cruise control?..... if so I'm getting a lot of issues with it dropping out in anything but perfect conditions, I have moaned about to my dealer but they point me to the manual that says it has quite a lot of limitations..... this is the single most disappointing aspect of my i3.

Paul

Great info

On the Cruise Control am I correct in saying it is the advanced Active version?

uktechie said:
Great info

On the Cruise Control am I correct in saying it is the advanced Active version?

Hi uktechie,

Yes it is.
It is bliss indeed when you drive in motorways. It adjusts the speed automatically to match the car in front and maintains the distance. Nowadays I hardly ever use my foot for driving. Everything is done by the buttons in the steering wheel.

regards,
ken

Paul1886 said:
Hi Ken,

Sounds like a great trip and in keeping with my findings on longer runs, did you calculate the mpg?... I think I get about 42mpg at 70 mph.

Do you have active cruise control?..... if so I'm getting a lot of issues with it dropping out in anything but perfect conditions, I have moaned about to my dealer but they point me to the manual that says it has quite a lot of limitations..... this is the single most disappointing aspect of my i3.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, it is active cruise control indeed.
It is very good but as you mention it drops out suddenly at any time. Can not figure out why it happens. It cuts off suddenly at any moment. If I am not alert to that fact I would have ended up causing rear end collision many times now. However I am used to the trouble now and it does not bother me too much as I know I can react to it quickly.

Regarding the mileage, I am not sure. I did not work it so far.

regards,
ken

Lecram said:
Great story and thanks for sharing.

I was wondering why you kept using rex for the last 50kms? If you turned it off, you could save on gas. Didnt you had a chance to charge you car at destination or didnt you charge by purpose?

Hi Lecram,

I forgot to shut the rex for the last 50kms. I was busy chatting to my partner and only realized my mistake close to my house.

About charging, I could not find a suitable place to charge. The hotel we stayed in did not have a charger. It didn't bother me too much as filling up and go with petrol was so easy to do.

It was a lovely drive indeed and I was very pleasantly surprised by i3's performance.

regards
ken

KMP647 said:
great report, now imagine a USA driver taking the same trip!

Cant choose the rex engage point in the USA, so you drive 60 to 85 miles then the rex kicks on at 5 to 6.5% battery level.

then hows that high speed or up grade section handled?

Hello KMP647,

Very good question.

I notice that when Rex is engaged when the SOC is above 20% the noise is not that big a problem. In fact, you stop noticing it very soon.

However, when the SOC is 5% or less, the Rex really works hard to maintain the charge and it becomes quite loud indeed, to an extent that the noise becomes annoying. It sounds like a scooter engine just gone mad !

The speed wise it still handles well when SOC is 5% or less. I am able to go at 75miles/hour and it does respond well. Just the annoying noise at the background.

If I had to do the whole trip with that kind of noise my trip report would have been very different and not so complementary.

regards,
ken

Stevei3 said:
Kudos Ken !

I understand you're quite a high miler as well ;)

Regards, Steven

Hi Steven,

I need to do 60km back and forth to my work. That is 120km per day. It all adds up quickly.

Today my speedometer says I have done 7002km so far since March 11th. Just today I had 200km trip and very pleased with the performance.

regards,
ken

Back