A/C cutting out

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrychan

Hi all
My A/C cut out intermittenly with a weird sound, fan still on ....just not cold air for about a minute then back to normal, it went on a few times during a 15 minutes ride, any ideas what causes ?
Thanks

I've read posts from several i3 owners reporting similar behavior. It's not always clear what the solution has been, but in at least a few instances, a warranty repair of some kind was involved. However, it can be very difficult or impossible to reproduce this sort of problem so that a repair can be made. Maybe a diagnostic trouble code is stored when this problem occurs.

Others have surmised that when running in EcoPro mode, if the battery pack needs cooling, cool refrigerant could be diverted away from the cabin and to the battery pack causing reduced cabin cooling. This effect might not be so pronounced in Comfort mode. But considering your location, it seems unlikely that a hot battery pack could be the explanation.

Please let us know the solution.

I have a somewhat similar problem with the AC. It blows warm from time to time (very frequently), but no weird noises and it can forced to work by lowering the temperature all way down. Clearly an electronics issue.

Back