A/C noise -- normal?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yasuman2

Did anyone notice that the air conditioning noise is quite loud and annoying outside the car?

The fan noise outside the car is moderate and understandable. The actual noise (which is quite annoying to me although it is subjective) seems to be coming from the compressor. It sounds like a electric blood pressure monitor when pumping air in, and the pitch varies depending on speed of compressor (or how hard it is working to lower the cabin temperature)

I can even hear it inside the car while the window is closed. The noise goes away either when I turn off the air conditioning completely, or when it is put to Eco pro+. Turning off A/C button seems to lowering the compressor to the minimal speed, although not completely shut it off, as I still hear the some noise at a very low frequency.

As switching to i3, I was expecting absolutely zero noise in electric car when not moving. It is partly true as long as A/C is not ON, and this is not the case in these days at hot 90 degrees.

I wonder if it is just my i3, or if I am just too sensitive.

The compressor will never be completely silent. In a normal ICE car it is loud, but the engine masks it. I can't hear it when we're moving, but it is noticeable when we are parked.

The AC compressor in our Smart fortwo Electric Drive is also pretty loud and actually slightly vibrates the little car when we are not moving and it kicks on.

I don't notice it while driving, but it's obvious, especially if you tell the car to precondition itself - you'll hear it as you approach the car. It may be a variable speed compressor, an at preconditioning mode, it's probably running at max, at least in the beginning of the cycle.

Back