A.M. Radio experiment

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

Well, I couldn't just let go of having no am radio to listen to my SFGiants. I bought a Sony portable for $12 off amazon. Just tried it in my i3......crap. Terrible interference every where in the passenger compartment. It's ok when stopped, but as soon as you depress the accelerator, the interference is dramatically loud.

Thought I'd save some of you diehards from trying it yourself.

A CFRP body and plastic doesn't block much rf interference, probably the main reason why the am radio is disabled in the i3. Trying to tame all of the power conversion for the electric motor and controllers and shielding things would add weight and cost. It is prepped for satellite radio, which probably has the sports you'd want, but at a cost per month.

NAL said:
Enable the AM radio through coding:

HU NBT or HU ENTRYNAV:
3002--> RADIO_BAND_KW set to: aktiv

Works just fine (it is AM though)

What is that? Clear not certainly.

It is possible to change the software coding flags BMW put's in these cars to enable or disable features that may not have been enabled from the factory on your vehicle. For example, in some countries the REx motor can be set to hold a certain battery percentage at the customer's choice, while in other countries the REx is completely automated and does not come on until around 10% battery charge remaining.

The changes are made by connecting a computer to the vehicle and exporting the coding data from the car onto the computer, modifying it and then reinstalling the modified data back into the vehicle. It does take some prep work to get to the point of modifying anything in your car if you have not done it, but there is quite a bit of help available on these forums and on the Facebook page if you are interested.

Back