A Newbie Sees the i3 for the First Time

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiburonh

As a recent joiner of this forum, I get the impression that most of the rest of you have already seen (and even driven) the i3. So I'm not sure that what follows will be especially useful to you, but none the less, here goes:

I went to the San Jose Auto Show this evening, specifically to see the i3 in person.

I have only recently become aware of and interested in the i3. I've been driving a variety of luxury SUV's for the past 12 years or so (I had the first ML320, then the second generation ML350, then the big Range Rover, then the first X5 diesel, and now the Audi Q5). My Q5 went off lease last summer, and I ended up buying it because the originally predicted residual value was ridiculously lower than the actual current value. Nonetheless, I have been shopping for a new luxury SUV to replace it, and had been inches away from ordering the new X5 diesel, when I somehow happened to read about the i3.

I thought I was being environmentally conscious by moving from the gas powered Q5 to the new, very efficient diesel powered X5. But of course the i3 makes the diesel X5 still look wasteful.

So, for the past few weeks, I have been devouring every tidbit of info about the i3. I've read all the comments in forums, all the press reviews, and every other link I could find online about the car. Though I was fascinated by its potential to be the break through EV (side note - I tried the Telsa S and found it overpriced, not very comfortable, and boringly designed on the inside), I was very worried about how sporty the i3 would really be.

And, as a 6'3" guy whose first step in car shopping is always "can I even fit comfortably in this car", I was totally expecting the i3 to be just too small for me.

I have to say, based on looks and fit alone (I was not able to actually drive the car tonight!), that the i3 is both very sporty and amazingly spacious.

On the sporty front (again, I am only able to talk about the design here, not about the actual driving experience), this car is so, so cool. At the San Jose auto show, I was able to also see and sit in the Leaf, the Volt, the Cadillac ELR monstrosity, the Spark, the electric Fiat, the Ford CMax, etc..

The design and style of the i3 are, in my view, just light years beyond any of its EV competitors, both on the exterior and the interior.

On the interior, I love how clean and simple the operating stuff is. So few buttons, and such clean/clear brilliance in the two screens. I also love how clean, simple, and environmentally responsible the other visual elements are: the thin but super comfortable seats, the open display of the natural materials in the dash and of the carbon fiber materials in the body, etc., etc. One key caveat on the interior: the model on display here had the sunroof -- but if the version actually sold in the US does not (there seems to be a lot of debate and uncertainty about this), then I would feel a bit too claustrophobic and would pass.

On the exterior, I had expected to hate it. But found I loved it. The two-tone color scheme is actually cool.
The bizarre side line is also actually cool. The fact that AutoWeek has included it in their SUV's of the year list is not so unbelievable when you see it in person. And all the talk about the skinniness of the tires has been, I think,overly exaggerated. The i3's exterior looks just confirm how ugly and lame the Volt/Prius/Leaf competitors are.

As for the "can I fit comfortably in it" question, I am surprised but thrilled to report that I actually have more leg room and more head room in this car than I do in my Q5. And WAY more headroom and legroom than in the Leaf, the Volt, the ELR, and the Spark.

Indeed, the potential leg room in this car is perhaps bigger than in any car I have EVER driven. Of course, the caveat here is that you would not want to be the person who sits behind me when I get in and shove that seat all the way back. :)

I would buy the i3 today, provided I could give positive answers to these few, but critical, remaining questions:

1. Will the drive be comfortable?

2. Will it's US crash testing ratings be good?

3. Will the net price be a good value? (Complications here include today's news that in CA the i3 will NOT qualify for the CA $2,500 rebate and will also not qualify for the coveted "white label" access to our HOV lanes).

Bottom line -- lord, I hope my wonderful sales person Gert is not reading this and thus feeling no need to negotiate a tough deal with me -- I'm ready to place my order.

Cheers,

H

You've posted a very thorough exposé on what the i3 does to you!
Go ahead and order one already!
I have also driven a number of luxury vehicles myself including an X5 but in the past 11 days my new i3 (>600mi already!) has a drive which is very similar to my X5! You sit up high, have loads of room, lots of light (even though I don't have the sunroof and it's winter here!) and the drive is stable and sporty all at the same time! It's probably the best driving car I've had, save the Boxster (they're on par)! :)

tiburonh said:
As a recent joiner of this forum, I get the impression that most of the rest of you have already seen (and even driven) the i3. So I'm not sure that what follows will be especially useful to you, but none the less, here goes:

I went to the San Jose Auto Show this evening, specifically to see the i3 in person.

I have only recently become aware of and interested in the i3. I've been driving a variety of luxury SUV's for the past 12 years or so (I had the first ML320, then the second generation ML350, then the big Range Rover, then the first X5 diesel, and now the Audi Q5). My Q5 went off lease last summer, and I ended up buying it because the originally predicted residual value was ridiculously lower than the actual current value. Nonetheless, I have been shopping for a new luxury SUV to replace it, and had been inches away from ordering the new X5 diesel, when I somehow happened to read about the i3.

I thought I was being environmentally conscious by moving from the gas powered Q5 to the new, very efficient diesel powered X5. But of course the i3 makes the diesel X5 still look wasteful.

So, for the past few weeks, I have been devouring every tidbit of info about the i3. I've read all the comments in forums, all the press reviews, and every other link I could find online about the car. Though I was fascinated by its potential to be the break through EV (side note - I tried the Telsa S and found it overpriced, not very comfortable, and boringly designed on the inside), I was very worried about how sporty the i3 would really be.

And, as a 6'3" guy whose first step in car shopping is always "can I even fit comfortably in this car", I was totally expecting the i3 to be just too small for me.

I have to say, based on looks and fit alone (I was not able to actually drive the car tonight!), that the i3 is both very sporty and amazingly spacious.

On the sporty front (again, I am only able to talk about the design here, not about the actual driving experience), this car is so, so cool. At the San Jose auto show, I was able to also see and sit in the Leaf, the Volt, the Cadillac ELR monstrosity, the Spark, the electric Fiat, the Ford CMax, etc..

The design and style of the i3 are, in my view, just light years beyond any of its EV competitors, both on the exterior and the interior.

On the interior, I love how clean and simple the operating stuff is. So few buttons, and such clean/clear brilliance in the two screens. I also love how clean, simple, and environmentally responsible the other visual elements are: the thin but super comfortable seats, the open display of the natural materials in the dash and of the carbon fiber materials in the body, etc., etc. One key caveat on the interior: the model on display here had the sunroof -- but if the version actually sold in the US does not (there seems to be a lot of debate and uncertainty about this), then I would feel a bit too claustrophobic and would pass.

On the exterior, I had expected to hate it. But found I loved it. The two-tone color scheme is actually cool.
The bizarre side line is also actually cool. The fact that AutoWeek has included it in their SUV's of the year list is not so unbelievable when you see it in person. And all the talk about the skinniness of the tires has been, I think,overly exaggerated. The i3's exterior looks just confirm how ugly and lame the Volt/Prius/Leaf competitors are.

As for the "can I fit comfortably in it" question, I am surprised but thrilled to report that I actually have more leg room and more head room in this car than I do in my Q5. And WAY more headroom and legroom than in the Leaf, the Volt, the ELR, and the Spark.

Indeed, the potential leg room in this car is perhaps bigger than in any car I have EVER driven. Of course, the caveat here is that you would not want to be the person who sits behind me when I get in and shove that seat all the way back. :)

I would buy the i3 today, provided I could give positive answers to these few, but critical, remaining questions:

1. Will the drive be comfortable?

2. Will it's US crash testing ratings be good?

3. Will the net price be a good value? (Complications here include today's news that in CA the i3 will NOT qualify for the CA $2,500 rebate and will also not qualify for the coveted "white label" access to our HOV lanes).

Bottom line -- lord, I hope my wonderful sales person Gert is not reading this and thus feeling no need to negotiate a tough deal with me -- I'm ready to place my order.

Cheers,

H

The i3 REx will indeed qualify for the California $2,500 rebate, the author of that article got it wrong. It will also get the green sticker which for all intents and purposes is the same as the white sticker. The only difference is the green sticker is limited to 40,000 and they already issues 26,000 of them so there is only 14,000 left. They have been issuing them at a rate of about 1,000 per month so you are all good as long as you get your car in 2014. It is unknown if they will issue more of them beyond the 40,000 limit. Both the white and green stickers are good until 2019 so really, there is little to no difference for early buyers in CA. If you wait and don't buy the car until late 2014 you may not get the sticker though but all early buyers will.

Note: This only applies to the i3 with the range extender. The all electric i3 fully qualifies for the white sticker and the full $2,500 rebate.

TomMoloughney said:
It will also get the green sticker which for all intents and purposes is the same as the white sticker.
One small difference: In the Bay Area, only the white sticker qualifies for reduced carpool tolls on the bridges. So on the Bay Bridge, white stickers can use the bus lane and bypass the toll booth backup. However, the signage on that lane just says "DMV Clean Air Sticker" so there's some justification for using it anyway.

tiburonh

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the drive.

I'm a "big car" person who's had Range Rovers, Jags and a Bentley in the past and now drives a Lexus RX 400h.

I was was looking primarily for space & driving comfort in the i3 and was a bit nervous that it might feel like just another economy hatchback.

In truth, it felt like nothing I'd ever driven before - but in a really good way.

Both my wife and I agreed that it was about the most comfortable drive we'd experienced. The slightly firm suspension feel was more than compensated for by the very low centre of gravity - which makes it corner without any roll or pitch to disturb passengers.

My wife (who really isn't a car person) said - " this car's really comfortable - it feels glued to the road".

Motorway (freeway) cruising was comfortable and quiet apart from a slight resonant wind noise above 70mph - the absence of engine noise makes any other noise more noticeable.

There is a slight drone from the REx engine when it engages - if you choose that option.

I can't comment on your CA legislation issues - but I'm sure you'll enjoy the driving experience.

Back