Actual usage of DC charger on a REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, at least in the USA, the CCS charging port is claimed to become standard equipment on i3s sold in this country for 2015 MY.

I have posted this before elsewhere on this forum: I raised this when ordering my REx at a UK dealer and BMW UK confirmed by email that the DC fast charge option will not be standard for UK model year 2015 i3s. However, they did say that cars will always vary from market to market.

On the other hand, the Winter Pack (seat heating & battery pre) is now automatically included in UK MY 2015 i3s, at a higher base cost of £300.

amateurish said:
I've used DC charge a few times... To my mind, Rex really negates the need for rapid charging.

That's a little sad for me, but exactly what I predicted with gasoline powered "EV" cars. Your thoughts are exactly why there will be less demand for faster / better / more DC charging amongst the gasoline crowd because "I got my petrol / gasoline".

WoodlandHills said:
For shorter trips one can revert to being a BEV with an extender as is forced upon NA buyers by CARB. It makes so much sense to be able to operate in two distinct modes......

You're a bit confused, but I suspect a popular misconception. Make CARB the boogie-man, and BMW becomes the victim.

BMW neither was, nor is, forced to offer this by CARB. BMW does the particular programming of the gasoline engine to squeak by with Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) credits (which to my way of thinking should never be allowed).

BMW could offer the car tomorrow with an EU specification gasoline engine and sell it as the plug-in hybrid car that it is. They just won't get ZEV credits.

No other car IN THE WORLD receives these ZEV credits with a gasoline engine, except BMW.

I think the car is downright dangerous with 34hp to lug up California hills, but again, BMW made those choices. Heck, they could offer the car outside of California Air Resources Board (CARB) states with different programming as a "hybrid", too. BMW chooses not to.

When you're making up boogie-men, just remember that BMW hobbles this car OUTSIDE of CARB states, too. Only BMW is responsible for that.

CARB states - Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, District of Columbia.

CARB-ZEV - California’s ZEV program has now been adopted by the states of Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont. These states, known as the “Section 177 states,” have chosen to adopt California's air quality standards in lieu of federal requirements as authorized under Section 177 of the federal Clean Air Act. Additionally, California’s GHG standards are now federal law. Maine and New Jersey are participating with ZEV initiatives, but are not signatory CARB-ZEV states.

According to this: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/12/analysis-tesla-may-have-made-over-100-million-off-the-carb-enabled-battery-swap-scheme/, a ZEV credit was worth about $4000 about a year ago and Tesla was getting 7 for every vehicle they sold. I wonder how many BMW get per i3 (2.5 per REx?) and if they are going long on them as Tesla seem to be or if they are selling them all? Either way it is all a windfall profit for BMW and with only a slight possibility of killing some customers as a downside it is a win-win for them.

I skipped the DC option on my Rex for this very reason. The closest DC charger to me is over 350 miles away. I don't think they will be popping up on ever corner in Idaho anytime soon.

TonyWilliams said:
amateurish said:
I've used DC charge a few times... To my mind, Rex really negates the need for rapid charging.

That's a little sad for me, but exactly what I predicted with gasoline powered "EV" cars. Your thoughts are exactly why there will be less demand for faster / better / more DC charging amongst the gasoline crowd because "I got my petrol / gasoline".

Boo Hoo get over it! Where I live the charging infrastructure is not there and the Rex option is the only way many will buy the EV is if they have a way home after the battery is dead and no charging is available. Especially in the colder months the Rex is a save the day alternative to many especially in the Midwest.

Here's another way to think of it.. the cost of the DC @ £560 is equivalent to 466 litres of fuel @ £1.20 a litre. Or 103 gallons. That's enough to do 5,185 miles on the REX @ 50mpg.

If you think you could use that up before they start charging a lot for CCS, or that someone might bring in a Telsa type CCS free for life for £2,000 type deal, then go with the DC. If not... save the £560 cash. Bear in mind ther'es a risk you will struggle to sell in a few years time if they make DC standard next year, which I've heard is the rumour.

FWIW... I've now worked out a plan for weekly driving and would make use of a CCS on a Monday and Friday. Nothing in between then slow charge at home over the weekends. Without the CCS I'm tied to dropping my car at a nearby BMW delaers charge point and then walking the last mile to work. I'd much prefer to pull off the motorway at my final junction, stop and eat my breakfast and a splash from my coffee flask, check my emails and forum threads and then do the lat 5 miles into work getting me in about 7.50am instead of 7.30.

If you know where to get it and can work it into your schedule without too much disruption it will be a great benefit to have.

The difference for me is work 60 miles from home, but do a mix of train and car just so I don't end up suicidal from either sitting in traffic, or listening to people ipods and getting missed connections due to delays.

Back