Battery charge indicator range increases 20%

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My i3 went in for the two-year brake service, bolt fix, and required software update in April. I've driven 700 miles since and have seen no difference in range. I suspect the reports of range increases are because the software update release coincided with warming weather in the most northern hemisphere locations. In contrast, I'm in San Francisco where the average temperature is essentially the same year round so my range has stayed essentially the same.

I just got my i3 BEV back from two and a half days of service. Drove into and returned from Oakland to Concord. When I stopped off at the level 2 charger car had driven 80+ miles since last charge and GOM still said I could go another 26. After recharging almost to 100% GOM says Comfort range is 95 miles and it's still 95F out. Best I've ever seen on the display pre-update was 80 miles in Eco +. :D

FWIW, one continuous trip will generally provide the longest possible range since it only needs to condition the cabin to temp once, and steady speeds are more efficient than starting and stopping, even with regen (which helps, but it's not free). Keep in mind, the estimated remaining range is based on the last 18-miles of travel. Throw some stop and go, short trips in there, and the estimate will always be lower than after completing a longer trip.

DinosM said:
MikeS said:
Are you talking about predicted range or actual range driven?

I had mine in for service last week and I also noticed an increase in the range. I also had the car re-coded after the service software update and the range of the gas has increase also, coded to allow usage of the full tank.

I was supriced to see that the gas range showed 101 miles and it actually drove for 111 miles on gas, had the electric on hold.

Btw 111 miles on comfort mode with ac running as you can see from pic below it was 87 F.

Could you please let me know your current firmware version?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back