BMW i3 Production Version

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YashuV

BMW says its i3 electric compact model can cover up to 136 miles on a single battery charge, which can be extended up to 217 miles using an optional range extender.

The i3, BMW's first ''born electric'' model, is set to debut in production form at the Frankfurt motor show in September, before going on sale by the end of the year in Europe, the United States and China.

BMW has not yet announced pricing or volume targets for the i3, but the automaker has already received "several hundred advance orders" for the model, the company's CEO Norbert Reithofer said at the company's annual press conference Tuesday in Munich.

"The i3 has a range on a single electrical charge of 130 to 160 kilometers (80 to 99 miles), but with two eco modes the EV range could grow to 220 kilometers (136 miles)," said Maximilian Kellner, head of product management of BMW i division.

The first eco mode, called EcoPro, reduces the torque delivered by the electric motor and the energy used by features such as air conditioning or heating. In EcoPro mode, the i3 adds 12 miles to its battery range. The second mode, known as the EcoPro+ range, shuts down all systems that use electricity except for safety systems such as ABS and ESC. This adds another 25 miles of range, Kellner said.

The i3 will also be available with an optional two-cylinder motorcycle engine and a generator to extend its range by another 81 miles on a single tank of gasoline.

The engine is housed in the trunk and connected to a generator that recharges the battery rather than transmitting mechanical power directly to the wheels. BMW will offer the range extender from launch, but has not yet announced pricing.

-- Luca Ciferri, Automotive News Europe

Content provided by Autoweek.
Get more Car News from Autoweek.
Get the latest Car Reviews from Autoweek.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=1318da42-50ca-4f53-8625-b576557aab17

Back