Bodywork Protection - I3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengus

Having paid for Protect and Seal for my last BMW and, watched it being applied, I wouldn't pay for someone to apply it again. I still have the original bottle of BMW Hard Wax in my bag of goodies as the detailer used the remaining half of a bottle that he used on another vehicle to seal my car.

Simple question - is BMW Hard Wax suitable for the I3's paintwork? Anything better out there that I should consider? I should add the BMW Hard Wax has held up better than I expected on my 2 year old F11.

I use Reload silica spray sealant. Simply apply to clean paintwork, glass and wheels with a damp or dry cloth. Leaves an invisible coating that repels water and hence grime. Been on my wife’s car for about a year and is still as good as the first day. On glass it acts so well that you don’t need wipers above about 40 mph as the wind blows the water off.

On a side note I have noticed that the top paintwork on the rear bumper seems to chip very easily. My i3 has had the same use as my other cars and I have never had the paint chip before. It looks like the top lacquer coat come off very easily.

MikeS said:
On a side note I have noticed that the top paintwork on the rear bumper seems to chip very easily. My i3 has had the same use as my other cars and I have never had the paint chip before. It looks like the top lacquer cost come off very easily.

I've wondered how that will stand up to wear and tear. Might enquire about getting the rear black clear wrapped...

Can anyone offer any further advice as to how I can best to protect the paintwork on my new REx that I collect this week? I have always steered clear of the protection rackets proffered by dealers but the Brand Manager at my MINI/BMW garage who I have dealt with for 15 years was most insistent as to the benefit of AGlaze. I am happy to use my own elbow grease if it is worthwhile to buy the right product.

Thanks

S3RDP said:
Can anyone offer any further advice as to how I can best to protect the paintwork on my new REx that I collect this week? I have always steered clear of the protection rackets proffered by dealers but the Brand Manager at my MINI/BMW garage who I have dealt with for 15 years was most insistent as to the benefit of AGlaze. I am happy to use my own elbow grease if it is worthwhile to buy the right product.

Thanks

Interesting. My previous salesman ( who then left the Company) offered me free BMW Protect and Seal on my current car. The dealer then 'conveniently' forgot to do it. After I presented them with a signed order form, they agreed to do the work. I watched the guy apply the bodywork seal and it took him 10 minutes on a F11. I confess that it has been very durable. I am interested to hear what people think about AGlaze.

Edit:

A bit of searching revealed this:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/82563-a-glaze-paint-sealant-treatment/

S3RDP said:

Thanks

Not sure if this is popular in UK, but a lot of people get paint protection film in the US:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...Aftermarket/Our-Brands/Scotchgard-Pro-Series/

I had my i3 wrapped as soon as I got it off the dealer lot: full hood, fenders, front bumper, headlights, A pillars, front part of roof, rear view mirrors, door edges, door cups, door sills, and top of rear bumper.

IMO, this is the best paint protection you can get against rock chips, bug splatter, scratches, etc.

Back