Charging station alert

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrychan

Hello

Not sure if this has been mentioned or it is in the manual....

Is there a way to know if the charging station you are going to, be able to tell you if they are being used/not available?

Thanks

I do not remember if the app in the car can tell you this, but some of the phone apps can. Keep in mind that not all EVSE's or CCS units are on a network, so on some, there is absolutely no way to tell whether it is either free, or actually working.

Yes, charging points that are on the internet will show their status via color dots in the iDrive display. It can take a moment or two for the data to come down. For what it's worth the same info shows up in the i Remote app. Personally I don't find the feature that useful because most of the ChargePoint units in SF are both L2 and L1 (a standard wall plug is hidden under a center panel). Even if the L2 plugs are all in use (so the parking spots taken) the station still shows a green available dot to account for the unused, hidden L1 outlet. Also eVgo, which offers the vast majority of CCS stations here, doesn't show up despite the fact that the BMW i ChargeNow card activates them under the free charging promotion. All in all, PlugShare shows more locations and has more usable info.

Back